Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!

With the new Ballistic Nylon Synapses coming out, I am in heaven! I LOVE ballistic Nylon.

However, I still love my current Black Halycon S25! They both have their unique look - even when in black. So here are a few shots of both types of Synapses - 2 black S25s and 1 Deep Blue S19 ... and some ways I have used the new accessories!

From left to right - Deep Blue 525d Ballistic Nylon S19, Black 400d Halycon S25, Black 525d Ballistic Nylon S25

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun2017debut_synapse_deepblue_black-jpg

From left to right - Canyon 210d Ballistic Interior to Ballistic S25, Iberian 200d Halycon Interior to Black Halycon S25, Grass 210d Ballistic Interior to Ballistic S19

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun27debut_canyon_grass-jpg

Fun with attachment - Grass Cubelet (using Gatekeeper Clips), Deep Blue Cubelet (on its own), Leaf Pouchkin (clipped to cache loops - slight stretch)

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun2017debut_squareoc_aidpouches-jpg

As @moriond mentioned in another thread, the 525 Ballistic Synapses are a bit heavier than their Halycon sisters and brothers. However, they are also more structured than the Halycon and keep their shape better (you can see the difference in the bottom pockets. The Halycon version also seems to stretch a bit more (to fit more) but that may be partially due to it being more used ... and of course there is the updated carry handle - not padded but double thickness and softer to create a more comfortable feeling in hand (but I assume all Synapses will get this in the future).

I truly do love the new 525d Ballistic Nylon. It has more of a sheen to it than the 1050d but not too much and just makes the bag look smoother when viewed a few feet away - very much like parapack.

Happy Debut Day!

Cheers!
    Thomas

Edit: It is also an interesting read in the Materials sections on 525 Ballistic Nylon - tighter weave and "twisted" to reducing abrasion damage from showing. It explains why the fabric weighs more than expected (you would expect 50% of the 1050d weight but in fact it is 70%). It is also interesting that is is made of Cordura - but with a Ballistic weave and almost as tough as it's 1050d brother.
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-27-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add a few more comparison pictures of the colors in the mix ...

Left: Deep Blue SCB;Canyon Interior / Dawn Large Shop Bag / French Blue FJN / Grass Cubelet / Single and Double Pouchkin
    Right: Burnt Orange Sprout / Island Small Shop Bag / Deep Blue Cubelet

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun2017debut_deepblue_canyon-jpg

Deep Blue SCB and Navy Ristetto (note: it hard to properly capture the 2 blue differences but the Deep Blue is darker and does not "change color" like the Navy one does in light or camera flash)

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun2017debut_deepbluescb-jpg

Left: Deep Blue SCB; Canyon Interior / Dawn Shop Bag / Grass Cubelet
    Right: Navy Ristretto; Solar Interior / Nordic Pouch / French Blue FJN / Island Small Shop Bag / Grass Cubelet

All These New Fabrics - My Synapses Are Firing Like Crazy - What To Choose !?!-jun2017debut_deepbluescb1-jpg

Cheers!
    Thomas
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-28-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, Thomas. I loved seeing the Cubelet and Pouchkin secured to the Synapses -- clever.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos @tpnl.
    I saw that you had a Black with Canyon there! I hope the color will be available to Stowaway.

A Black with Grass combo looks amazing too.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tpnl, which Black do you like the most? Between 1050 Ballistic, Cordura 1000 and this new 525.

Also, how about Solar Dyneema vs 210 Canyon - as lining? I understand they are two different fabric and colors. Just like to hear out your perspective. I am a big fan of Solar, and I believe you are too.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question - and one I am conflicted on.

The new 525d Ballistic Nylon Black is a tighter/smaller weave - ie smoother. It is also a deeper black than the other 1050d Ballistic and 1000d Cordura. When put side by side, the original Ballistic and Cordura fabrics look like they have some dark charcoal as compared to the "more" black new fabric.

Note that for my comparison, the bags with the original fabrics have only been lightly used (ie 1-2 times) and not in direct sunlight (ie no fading).

I really like the 525d black because of this extra black look.

I am a big fan of Solar too (thanks to you :) !!) and it is one of my favorite interior colors (together with Iberian and now Island). But the Canyon color is now on my list of favorites. It is very similar to the orange some other manufacturers use but a touch more "burnt". And because it is a ballistic weave and shiny, it shows a lot of unique and interesting detail as it shimmers in the light. It is very suitable for making the bag interior bright enough to see things at the bottom.

I am not sure of the Coyote interior color but I think, for the intended purpose I use the color for (making the interior easier to see), the Canyon would be a better color for this.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Good question - and one I am conflicted on.

The new 525d Ballistic Nylon Black is a tighter/smaller weave - ie smoother. It is also a deeper black than the other 1050d Ballistic and 1000d Cordura. When put side by side, the original Ballistic and Cordura fabrics look like they have some dark charcoal as compared to the "more" black new fabric.

Note that for my comparison, the bags with the original fabrics have only been lightly used (ie 1-2 times) and not in direct sunlight (ie no fading).

I really like the 525d black because of this extra black look.
    I agree with @tpnl's comments that the 525d black has an "extra black look" that makes it appear darker than 1050d Black Ballistic Nylon. It's something about the texture of the woven filaments, and it's probably one of the reasons that I like the Black/Cloud color combination in the Luminary more than I expected. When compared to a Black/Iberian Ballistic Nylon Cadet, the new 525d Black in the Luminary or a Synapse 19 looks "blacker" and more dramatic.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, @tpnl or @moriond, any further thoughts now that you have been carrying backpacks made in the new 525 ballistic for a while:

* Is the black Halcyon or black 525 ballistic more "matte"?
    * Which seems the most durable in terms of scuffs? (Which is a little different from general durability to me; parapack was durable but seemed to pick up scuffs very quickly, at least in my hands.)
    * Is the weight difference in something like a Synapse 25 noticeable after you've been carrying it for a while?
    * Does the ballistic still hold its shape better after some use, or does it get more relaxed?

Thanks!!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @bchaplin,

I think my responses are going to be pretty idiosyncratic and subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Hey, @tpnl or @moriond, any further thoughts now that you have been carrying backpacks made in the new 525 ballistic for a while:

* Is the black Halcyon or black 525 ballistic more "matte"?!
    I think the Black Halcyon may be more matte than the black 525, but the I find that most of the 525 Ballistic fabrics have more of a luminous quality and "sheen" in their weave than you might guess. Because of the tight weave and darkness of the black 525, and the fact that it looks darker than, say, the original 1050d Ballistic Nylon Black, it looks more muted than bright colors (like Cloud).

* Which seems the most durable in terms of scuffs? (Which is a little different from general durability to me; parapack was durable but seemed to pick up scuffs very quickly, at least in my hands.)!
    The 525 Ballistic is likely to be more durable. I haven't had a problem with the new Black Halcyon in Backpack or Side Kick usage, but Original Halcyon is likely to hold up better against extensive scuffing. And I agree that Parapack appeared to pick up scuffs quickly in comparison with either fabric.

* Is the weight difference in something like a Synapse 25 noticeable after you've been carrying it for a while?!
    Yes, for me (and probably for most people with smaller builds) the Synapse 25 in 525 ballistic is noticeably heavier to carry after a while compared to either Cordura or Halcyon models of the same bag. (I haven't had the Synapse in Parapack, but the weight is closer to Halcyon. You should also figure that I generally use my Original Steel Halcyon Synapse 25 -- which is also more comfortable for me because it came from that first production batch that used the narrow backpack strap spacing of the earlier Synapse 19s -- the only batch of Synapse 25s made that way).

* Does the ballistic still hold its shape better after some use, or does it get more relaxed?
    I can't tell about long term usage, but I'd guess that while the lighter weight 525d Ballistic is more pliable than 1050d Ballistic Nylon, it should hold up pretty well in its shape.

Another subjective impression: because the weave of the 525d Ballistic gives it more of a "sheen", in the lighter colors, like Cloud, that luminescent quality makes it look less "neutral". This is not necessarily a bad thing, and I think some people will appreciate this quality. But. for me, Cloud doesn't really approximate the Grey of Cafe Bags and Synapses in terms of being as "neutral" a color because of this. If you look at @Ilkyway's pictures of her Deep Blue Luminary, you can see the light and dark regions where the fabric is not absolutely flat in the front. Now think of the effect in a light color like Cloud where the peaks and valleys show more of this contrast in sheen.

I don't think I'm doing a good job of describing this visually, but the surface is not "matte" the way that grey cordura was, and so it feels less neutral in background than the Black does. The other way you could state this is that the Cloud has more "personailty" with this texture.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful answer as always, and very insightful, thank you!
    Well, my "cubelets" are supposed to arrive today, so I will get a look at the fabric in real life!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post

* Is the black Halcyon or black 525 ballistic more "matte"?
    * Which seems the most durable in terms of scuffs? (Which is a little different from general durability to me; parapack was durable but seemed to pick up scuffs very quickly, at least in my hands.)
    * Is the weight difference in something like a Synapse 25 noticeable after you've been carrying it for a while?

Thanks!!
    Adding my comments as well:

* The Black Halycon does look at bit more "matte". The Ballistic version looks more "Satin" if I were to make an analogy to House Paint but is a much deeper "truer" black (than even the 1050d Ballistic version) as the weave is tight and smooth. On another note, I have a Deep Blue Small Cafe Bag and it has a bit more reflective shine than the black - I bet this probably due to our eye's sensitivity to colors and reflections.

* This stuff does not seem to scuff or scratch easily (aside from mud dirt, nothing shows). I even (stop reading for those if faint hearts on abusing bags) tried hard scratching (just cut nails - so extra sharp) the outside of the bottom pocket but nothing showed. There is none of the scuff marks that I saw people finding using the Parapack.

* For me, the weight different is noticeable - but only because I compared it to the Halycon, if you know what I mean. If I did not have the Halycon version to compare, I would have thought it was light instead of heavier than the Halycon version. It is still light IMHO and similar to the Smart Alec as well as being lighter than both types of Western Flyer (Ballistic and Halycon versions) - the SA and WF both being similar volumes to the S25.

* I have had my ballistic S25 for less than a month so I cannot comment on the any changes in holding its shape over time. I would expect that it does soften a bit - however perhaps less so than the 1050d Ballistic we are used to. I say this because the 525d Ballistic is supposed to have "twisted" fibres. In my experience, anything that has been "twisted" usually stays stiffer/keeps its shape for a longer time (think rolled up newspaper). I would dare say that the "twisted" nature of this fabric resulting in an even tighter weave may make it more naturally rain resistant.

For me, keeping a bag's shape is important to me and the Ballistic version definitely does this for me where the Halycon does not (e.g. it will "slouch" a bit or have a more uneven surface if not full).

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-06-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for sharing your impressions! Yes, I completely agree, everything is relative. I'm having back issues, so I'm very focused on weight right now, though honestly, the weight of the bag is probably dwarfed by what is placed inside of it, in my case. :) And it's true that the Synapses and the Smart Alec are all lighter than some of the other travel bags, regardless of fabric choice.

Just got my Cubelets! No black, but Deep Blue, Dawn and Viridian. I do like the fabric very much. Perhaps I should try my own abrasion test? Nah, I'll let your experiment stand, unreproduced.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    The Black Halycon does look at bit more "matte". The Ballistic version looks more "Satin" if I were to make an analogy to House Paint but is a much deeper "truer" black (than even the 1050d Ballistic version) as the weave is tight and smooth. On another note, I have a Deep Blue Small Cafe Bag and it has a bit more reflective shine than the black - I bet this probably due to our eye's sensitivity to colors and reflections.
    @tpnl, between Parapack and the 525 Ballistic - how sheen between the two? I got a feeling that 525 Ballistic will be more sheen. How about comparing Black Parapack vs Black 525 Ballistic? I'm not sure whether you have a Black Parapack. If not, perhaps others input or view on this? Can I also say that both fabric share similar smooth texture?

I am usually a matte-prefer person from Tech-ware to Bags. Grey 1000d is a really matte-neutral look, though there is a very-slight and comfortable sheen to it at different viewing angle. Do you guys and @tpnl feel alright to bring a near-Satin backpack to office? I couldn't help but imagine how a near-Satin 525 Ballistic Black could over-shine the user when backpacking it.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-15-2017 at 03:14 AM.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a 525 ballistic (but not black) cubelet and a parapack Side Effect, I'd say the parapack had more sheen.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you, @Sturbridge.
    That's a great news!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast