Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely tiny Daylight Backpack "hack"

I put "hack" in quotes, because that would be rather generous. But anyway, the straps on the Daylight Backpack were never quite the right angle for me, because it's a webbing strap with no curvature, so it can't wrap around in the snaky way a real strap would. But you can just do this:

Extremely tiny Daylight Backpack "hack"-photo-jul-01-11-46-05-pm-jpg

It seems to stay in place just fine, and it completely changes the angle both up at the shoulders (making it a steeper angle, which is good for sloping shoulders), and the lower part seems to get further away from your arm, so it doesn't dig in as much. It all looks a bit silly, but I bet it would look nice if it were "officially" sewn down that way.
    Last edited by snarkynomad; 07-02-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snarkynomad View Post
    I put "hack" in quotes, because that would be rather generous. But anyway, the straps on the Daylight Backpack were never quite the right angle for me, because it's a webbing strap with no curvature, so it can't wrap around in the snaky way a real strap would. But you can just do this:

Extremely tiny Daylight Backpack "hack"-photo-jul-01-11-46-05-pm-jpg

It seems to stay in place just fine, and it completely changes the angle both up at the shoulders (making it a steeper angle, which is good for sloping shoulders), and the lower part seems to get further away from your arm, so it doesn't dig in as much. It all looks a bit silly, but I bet it would look nice if it were "officially" sewn down that way.
    What a great idea! I'm guessing that torso shape might dictate the best place to put the crease. I wonder if putting something heavy on top of the crease would help it lay flat. If that doesn't work I'm sure a local seamstress or even a shoe repair shop would be able to run a stitch.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they could switch the adjuster buckle to the opposite side too, and then it would work. But this was more of a production suggestion than just a usage tip. I really enjoy the organization on the Daylight, but because the strap isn't curvy, it doesn't sit flat on my shoulders, so all the pressure is on one side of the strap, and since it's thin and has kind of a sharp edge, it digs into my collar bone quite a bit. It might also work to use the roll-over method currently used on the new Luminary carry handle, where they just flip the edge over to create a rolled edge which can't dig in to anything. Of course they could just cut out a regular strap cut into a curvy shape, maybe backed with some of the meshy cushioning used on the backrest of the regular backpacks like the Synapse. The sternum strap on the Sprout probably helps with this as well, since it pulls the strap inward and changes the shoulder angle. Just want to figure out a way to solve that scratchy edge issue.

By the way, the Daylight is a nice thing to get in Halcyon, as the Cordura can scratch against t-shirt fabrics. It causes a bit more pilling in the lower back, and actually pulled my t-shirt upward as I was walking around, so I had to keep pulling it back down. If you're wearing a jacket it won't matter, but in the summer it helps if it's smooth.