Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultraviolet= purple purple?

So I got my luminary in the mail yesterday.
    I don't know about y'all, but I was excited about the color. I thought alphaviolet would be more of a magenta or like a purple-pink. When I opened the box I was like "huh."
    At first I thought it was me, but I brought it to work today so a Tom Bihn enthusiast co-worker could see it it too and she was like "that's alphaviolet?"
    And then she held it up to my computer screen and I was like "yeah, huh?"
    Ultraviolet= purple purple?-img_1199-jpg
    I had a photo of it up against the computer screen pic of it, but that wouldn't load. Here's another photo that I think is close to its very purple color. I think it both photographs and shows up on the screen as a more magenta kind of purple but in real life it's a solid purple. Even out in the sun. It has a nice shimmer, but it's straight up grape-inspired.
    Now, don't get me wrong-- the bag is fab, but I was, in a way, disappointed in the color, mainly because of expectations-- I wanted an eye popping pink-purple, not just a purple purple.
    So I'm trying to decide if I want to see if the purple grows on me or if I want to exchange it for Mars Red. My secretary didn't like the purple, she was like "get the red."
    With that in mind, does anyone have good photos of anything in the new Mars red? Thoughts on the purple alphaviolet?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay can I say here it photographs closer to the picture on the TB website? But in real life it doesn't look this bright. Anyone agree with me?

Here it is laying in my armchair. I think maybe this photo captures more of the purple-purple?
    Ultraviolet= purple purple?-img_1200-jpg

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I've only seen a swatch of alphaviolet in person, but I thought the pictures on the TB site were pretty accurate; that is to say, I thought the pictures appeared "purple purple." But colors can vary from screen to screen, which might account for the magenta hue you see on your computer?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my alphaviolet MCB yesterday, and the color seems accurate to what I saw on my monitor. Veridian seems a little more subdued than I thought it would be, but it's not a big deal, I knew it wasn't exactly like Azure.

I will say, though, as someone who has longingly sighed over Azalea and Punch bags I'll never have, I would be very, very excited about the prospect of a magenta/fuchsia shade in the new ballistic fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    So I got my luminary in the mail yesterday.…

Now, don't get me wrong-- the bag is fab, but I was, in a way, disappointed in the color, mainly because of expectations-- I wanted an eye popping pink-purple, not just a purple purple.
    So I'm trying to decide if I want to see if the purple grows on me or if I want to exchange it for Mars Red. My secretary didn't like the purple, she was like "get the red."
    With that in mind, does anyone have good photos of anything in the new Mars red? Thoughts on the purple alphaviolet?
    @atarango1,

Funny you should say that about color expectations, since I just answered posts on Ravelry yesterday from someone who expected a "true red" when she ordered the Luminary in Mars Red.

Did you look at @Ilkyway's color comparisons in the Shop Bags in knew colours and materials thread? This is probably one of the best early reviews of the colors of the new materials.

I'll just excerpt a few sample pictures from different posts:

I'll let you read through the text descriptions, and view her other color comparisons with Mars Red in the linked posts. Since Ballistic Nylon reds like Crimson and Cardinal have not been around since Cardinal was retired in 2013 (except for one batch of Aeronauts made in February 2014 that used up all the remaining Cardinal), I'll point you to another picture I supplied in the A question for those of you who have seen "Cloud" in person thread:

From left to right Cardinal 1050d Ballistic Nylon, Crimson 500d Cordura, Red Nylon First Aid Pouchkin, Iberian Halcyon, Mars Red 525d Ballistic Nylon Swatch. Above the Mars Red Swatch are Cloud 210d Ballistic Nylon overlying a corner hint of Cloud 525d Ballistic Nylon. (No Crimson Ballistic Nylon because I only have that in large bags).
    You have the option of asking for color swatches, or you could order Cubelets of colors you like before ordering a large bag. I happen to think that @anna2222's picture from the WHAT FITS INSIDE THE LUMINARY thread is fairly true to color:

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all helpful! I was steering away from AV for fear of it being pinky-purple! Somehow I had missed the swatch pics--thank you for reposting, Moriond!