Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Steel/Island Appreciation Society

I appreciate that the current buzz is around the new ballistic nylons and their fantastic looking colour options...

...but never one to be predictable, I want to give a shout out for Steel/Island.

Now this isn't a common colour combo. Island's not been around that long and its biggest impact so far has been when coupled with Black (Ballistic or Halcyon).

I do see Island rear it's head occasionally with Aubergine but I think Aubergine/Wasabi is so perfect, any other Aubergine combo is lacking.

So I recently had the chance unexpectedly to get a Steel/Island Cadet. https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post147713. Probably not a combo I would have looked for first but it caught my interest.

I once owned a Steel/UV A45 and sold it as it wasn't getting much use. I remember the Steel being a tricky character, sometimes greenish, sometimes blueish, always looking slightly spectral but very sharp with the contrasting black trim.

Over the years I've gone though a Black phase and then a Navy phase. Steel would be my new professional work colour.

And my rebellious side is loving the Island paired with it. It's just so different in my opinion to anything else. Island plays with the greens and the blues in the Steel to constantly catch your eye. I can imagine it's just how I felt when I first saw UV as a lining colour. Wow, that's just sooooo cool.

So much so that I sold my beloved Black/Wasabi Tristar to have a 'hot off the press' brand new Tristar in matching Steel/Island. And that looks just as amazing.

Unfortunately there aren't that many items where Steel/Island has been in production. No Aeronaut, no side effect, no side kick. But with the ever listening and wise TB crew, forum interest = solutions for the fans.

So join the Steel/Island Appreciation Society and let's gets more Steel/Island items into the production schedule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in as a new convert! I don't have anything steel/island yet. But I have a steel/Iberian Smart Alec, which I love.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Island and I am curious about Steel. Your Tristar is gorgeous. I will join your club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something very nice about blue and grey combos.

I never warmed up to Island (yes, that's meant to be a pun), but I have an item in Steel/Fjord (a short-lived blue color that has a hint of teal), that I treasure highly. To the point that I recently traded another forum member for an identical "backup". My preccccious.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of relatedly... as in, another blue...
    I'm currently traveling with a Steel/Fjord A30, and it's just so pretty. I could have fit everything into my black/steel NFTD, but the A30 is just too pretty, so I've got some extra space.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Island is my fave out of all the halcyon, and I love the new Cloud ballistic color, have a Luminary in that. It goes GREAT with Island but is a bit lighter than the Steel, and sort of irridescent/shiny. All my island accessories look great next to it.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    There's something very nice about blue and grey combos.

I never warmed up to Island (yes, that's meant to be a pun), but I have an item in Steel/Fjord (a short-lived blue color that has a hint of teal), that I treasure highly. To the point that I recently traded another forum member for an identical "backup". My preccccious.
    I have a Fjord travel tray and love the colour because of the teal hint. I think it's also a perfect Steel accompaniment but as you say sadly no longer a regular colour.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Steel/Island Appreciation Society

Thanks for he replies all. I wanted to pick up on the theme 'grey/blue' being a good mix.

I remember growing up in the 1980s having grey/red bedroom furniture.

It seems grey/red is a mix that is not uncommon and possibly telling of the more common Steel/Iberian combo in production runs.

I think the addition of a 'blue' option is great. White Grid Nordic satisfied that before but not as an internal complimentary colour (and the newer Grey Grid Nordic, although really nice, is more purple than blue to my eyes).

Island and Fjord were the perfect options and so glad Island has now become a more standard internal colour. We just need more use of it now beyond the standard black/island pairing.

Last edited by Perseffect; 08-06-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post

Island and Fjord were the perfect options and so glad Island has now become a more standard internal colour. We just need more use of it now beyond the standard black/island pairing.
    Yes, like Navy/Island!

(If there is a Fjord appreciation club I will happily join that too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Island as well, my absolute favorite Halcyon color. Do not have anything in Steel/Island, but that might change.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread makes my heart happy. Greys/blues are super pretty together. I love Island so much and went for it in Original Halcyon/Island, much to the dismay of my Aubergine A30. But then Fjord came out and it is such a different blue than Island. I surprised myself and went with Team Fjord when we were able to vote. I'm jealous of your Steel/Fjord A30, @turnleftbrighteyes, but happy I was able to get the LS in that color combo. I still love Island, but Fjord has my heart. I'm happy to have shop bags (both sizes), TTs (both sizes), SSC, and PCSB in Fjord.

NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would definitely want a MB in that combo.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll also hop on the train. The sheen of the Steel against the pop of Island looks great! I'm waiting patiently for a laptop bag in Steel/Island (fingers crossed for a Pilot!). I've got a Grey + Iberian/Island motif going with my bags/accessories and it all works together very well if you simply can't settle on one interior colour.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stopping View Post
    I'll also hop on the train. The sheen of the Steel against the pop of Island looks great! I'm waiting patiently for a laptop bag in Steel/Island (fingers crossed for a Pilot!). I've got a Grey + Iberian/Island motif going with my bags/accessories and it all works together very well if you simply can't settle on one interior colour.
    That would be my next preference also Steel/Island Pilot.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    This thread makes my heart happy. Greys/blues are super pretty together. I love Island so much and went for it in Original Halcyon/Island, much to the dismay of my Aubergine A30. But then Fjord came out and it is such a different blue than Island. I surprised myself and went with Team Fjord when we were able to vote. I'm jealous of your Steel/Fjord A30, @turnleftbrighteyes, but happy I was able to get the LS in that color combo. I still love Island, but Fjord has my heart. I'm happy to have shop bags (both sizes), TTs (both sizes), SSC, and PCSB in Fjord.

You know, if I had to choose between Fjord and Island I'd also pick Fjord.

But sadly no more. Island is our blue and it's fantastic.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast