Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the Stowaway and loved the briefcase carry, but had trouble with the backpack carry, as it did not lay flush against my back. I am 5' 6" and 145 lbs

It did not matter if I had the straps pulled very tight or really loose, there still was a v-shaped gap. Because of the gap, when I would walk, it would knock back and forth against my back. I could not imagine running with it in backpack mode. Also, the bag gets pretty heavy when full and the unpadded backpack straps are uncomfortable.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    But if my bag is full, what do I do with the stuff that was in the backpack strap compartment? And, for me, it's kind of a small bag so I'd definitely be using that center compartment.
    I'm pretty sure you're not intended to keep any stuff in the strap compartment. It doesn't have any depth so you're not gaining any space by using it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried one out. It fit much more than I would have expected and I would agree, the strap compartment wouldn't really fit anything. My biggest concern was that I couldn't get my large organizer pouch to fit into any of the pockets. At least and have it zip up.

I really liked the handles, and the organization. It held my EDC stuff much better than the Makers bag I tried -- it was stuffed like a turkey.

Maybe my organizer pouch is oversized, not sure.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take on the Stowaway (pro/con)

I've had my Stowaway for a couple of weeks and used it extensively last weekend for a church retreat.

I got mine in Alphaviolet, which is an absolutely fabulous color. It's a ruggedly built bag, as all TBs are, I suppose. An earlier post mentioned how busy is is with all the zippers, and that's true—I'd count that among the cons. I set up the zipper pulls as silencers which helps it not sound like a rattle when I pick it up.

I bought the Stowaway in part because of the backpack conversion feature but I ended up hating the way it felt in backpack mode—I actually cut the backpack straps out of the middle compartment yesterday and freed up more space inside. The orgabizational features are terrific and it's very roomy for its footprint. I'm totally cool with it as a shoulder bag only and grateful for an extra interior pocket for folders, books, electronics, etc.

The laptop compartment takes a 13" computer but just barely. Spring for the Cache because most non-TB sleeves will be too big to fit.

All in all, I really like the bag, but the backpack feature is pretty unimpressive.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression just from looking and opening and closing is, WOW, is this bag compact, given how much it appears to hold! I put it in my last order largely as an afterthought to look-see, but I was quite taken with its size and may just hold onto it (or switch colors) as an EDC laptop-and-stuff bag, in addition to potential overnights.
    Last edited by cazique; 10-31-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Made it sound more positive (as intended)

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I bought the Stowaway in part because of the backpack conversion feature but I ended up hating the way it felt in backpack mode
    Quote Originally Posted by cazique View Post
    My first impression just from looking and opening and closing is, WOW, is this bag small!
    I really wish Tom would make an 18-20L WF: A briefcase bag that converts to backpack like the WF ...

It would hold more than the pilot (and steal some of its design), but not as much as the WF. Works great as a work bag (multiple large laptops, but not huge), and it pulls double duty as an overnighter when you just need clothes and private tech gear.

That's the white whale bag.

Forum Member
    Stuttgart
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I've had my Stowaway for a couple of weeks and used it extensively last weekend for a church retreat.

I got mine in Alphaviolet, which is an absolutely fabulous color. It's a ruggedly built bag, as all TBs are, I suppose. An earlier post mentioned how busy is is with all the zippers, and that's true—I'd count that among the cons. I set up the zipper pulls as silencers which helps it not sound like a rattle when I pick it up.

I bought the Stowaway in part because of the backpack conversion feature but I ended up hating the way it felt in backpack mode—I actually cut the backpack straps out of the middle compartment yesterday and freed up more space inside. The orgabizational features are terrific and it's very roomy for its footprint. I'm totally cool with it as a shoulder bag only and grateful for an extra interior pocket for folders, books, electronics, etc.

The laptop compartment takes a 13" computer but just barely. Spring for the Cache because most non-TB sleeves will be too big to fit.

All in all, I really like the bag, but the backpack feature is pretty unimpressive.
    I have had my Stowaway for a couple weeks now and agree with most all your points.

I would like to see the laptop compartment eliminated with the space added to increase the size of the rear compartment. A laptop could be put into the rear compartment just as easily which would reduce fabric, zipper usage, and make the bag more versatile. The increased width of the rear compartment would allow for items of larger dimensions to be put into the bag. I occasionally visit the grocery store after work and have had issues fitting small items into the bag. Currently, I keep a shop bag in the laptop section to alleviate that issue now, but would love space for larger items. :)

No comment on backpack mode yet as I have been pleasantly surprised at how light and compact the bag feels. Granted I do not often carry my laptop (Surface Pro), but will need to in a week or so. I did opt to use an Absolute Strap I have from another bag which was a minor improvement over the very good strap that the bag came with.

The only real dislike of the bag is related to the zippers. I had to remove the metal zipper handles completely and use zipper pulls in their place to reduce noise. The bag can be loud in a quiet setting.

Overall a great bag, but it does seem the form factor would really shine in a larger size.
    Last edited by whitnorris; 10-31-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish Tom would make an 18-20L WF: A briefcase bag that converts to backpack like the WF ...

It would hold more than the pilot (and steal some of its design), but not as much as the WF. Works great as a work bag (multiple large laptops, but not huge), and it pulls double duty as an overnighter when you just need clothes and private tech gear.

I'd absolutely love a slightly bigger Pilot option in that 18-20 range. My Pilot's a great bag for my weekly commute all through the summer, but as we get into the winter months it doesn't have the extra room to accommodate things like gloves, scarves, toques, an extra sweater, etc... I've been holding off on going as large as the WF so far, but as the colder months come in strong it's either going to be that or back to 2 bagging it with a mix of Pilot and DLBC.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whitnorris View Post
    I would like to see the laptop compartment eliminated with the space added to increase the size of the rear compartment. A laptop could be put into the rear compartment just as easily which would reduce fabric, zipper usage, and make the bag more versatile. The increased width of the rear compartment would allow for items of larger dimensions to be put into the bag. I occasionally visit the grocery store after work and have had issues fitting small items into the bag. Currently, I keep a shop bag in the laptop section to alleviate that issue now, but would love space for larger items. :)
    Agree - if the bag were just 10% bigger, it would be 100% more useful.

No comment on backpack mode yet as I have been pleasantly surprised at how light and compact the bag feels. Granted I do not often carry my laptop (Surface Pro), but will need to in a week or so. I did opt to use an Absolute Strap I have from another bag which was a minor improvement over the very good strap that the bag came with..
    I got mine with the Absolute Strap and am very glad I did, especially when I really stuff it full with a laptop, Kindle, iPad, books, etc.

The only real dislike of the bag is related to the zippers. I had to remove the metal zipper handles completely and use zipper pulls in their place to reduce noise. The bag can be loud in a quiet setting.
    Indeed, the zipper situation is a bit out of hand. I may try your method of taking the metal zipper handles off completely and see how that works.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a size comparison between the Stowaway and my small Cafe Bag.

Stowaway first thoughts-img_7346-jpg

The Stowaway is definitely more compact than most briefcases and laptop bags.

Speaking of size, having cut out the backpack straps from the center compartment, I find the space accommodates my LL Bean rain parka quite nicely. I imagine one would fit a spare shirt, hat and gloves, or similarly sized articles in that "de-strapped" interior space.

Stowaway first thoughts-img_7344-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering the stowaway as a book bag for a Torah study class. I carry a variety of bibles, and right now they are two Chumashes, 10x8x2 and 9x2x6. And an iPad, pens, maybe a notebook, and a tallit (in a soft bag, maybe the size of a bigger raincoat stuff sack). Do you think there is any chance they will fit?

Thanks!

Seattle area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ytmlee View Post
    So I am curious, I have seen the Stowaway however I am not so sure I am convinced I need the backpack feature. Anyone have both the Pilot and the stowaway? I am curious what people's thoughts were on the two. (i know that the volumes are different) I have been using my Synapse 25 however I am thinking about trying to perhaps combine my Aeronaut 45 with something smaller. I really like the organization of the Stowaway but I am not sure if I will miss all the space? The Pilot is a great looking bag and seems as though I could stuff a lot of stuff in there too. Ahhh decisions! Any advice is appreciated!
    I actually have both. I got the Pilot a while ago in Black and love it very much. I was in the showroom recently and saw the stowaway and it intrigued me. I finally picked up a red on a couple of weeks ago and it’s awesome. I love how the pocket for the computer is dedicated. With the Pilot, if I want to get something out of the back computer pocket, I still have to “deal” with the cache in there when rummaging around. With the stowaway, I don’t have to touch the cache or see it unless I’m dealing with my chrome book.

I got two packing cubes for it as well as the small cafe bag vertical Freudian slip. I put the slip in the “backpack” pouch because I do like having something that can carry pens and pencils securely which was missing from the stowaway. It’s been working well. I use my Pilot still when I want to go slimmer and when the mood strikes. I like them both for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love for this bag to be about 18L or so. Nothing too big. One of the virtues of the Pilot is that it's a briefcase bag that isn't too large, in a day and age when everything is digital anyway and we don't carry a lot of papers. But, large enough that you could really turn it into an overnighter on the weekend.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went to the showroom today to get an item I ordered for my mom for Christmas. While I was there, I decided to look at the Stowaway. I fell in love. This will be perfect for an EDC or 1-2 day trip. I was interested in Black, Black Halcyon and Blue. I ended up getting the blue Stowaway. That is such a wonderful color. I mainly have black bags and wanted something more fun...I think I made the right choice. I will try to post up some pictures of it filled up.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    Well I went to the showroom today to get an item I ordered for my mom for Christmas. While I was there, I decided to look at the Stowaway. I fell in love. This will be perfect for an EDC or 1-2 day trip. I was interested in Black, Black Halcyon and Blue. I ended up getting the blue Stowaway. That is such a wonderful color. I mainly have black bags and wanted something more fun...I think I made the right choice. I will try to post up some pictures of it filled up.
    I would love to see some photos. How did the Halcyon compare? I have been thinking about a Stowaway and wondered if the Halcyon version would stand by itself since it has lots of internal structure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast