Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Zipper Pulls

Forum Member
    Northwest Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipper Pulls

I was in the hardware store yesterday, picking up supplies for another project, including paracord. The color of the paracord didn't matter for that project, but I noticed some that looked -- as close as I could tell -- a lot like the steel color of my new Aeronaut 30. So that's what I grabbed, thinking I might use it for zipper pulls, too.

The color was pretty close, just a little more blue, I think. The colors in the first photo below look a little more accurate to my eye than the second one. Although the cord color isn't a perfect match for the fabric, I don't think you could hope to find much better, and I just stumbled on it.

So I searched the forum last night, and decided I liked the pulls from PandaOps' thread (https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...per-pulls.html). And I followed his method, including using the video he linked to for the knot.

The cord I used is 1/8". It's just a little bulky, especially on the two smaller edge pockets, which have slightly smaller zipper pulls than the rest of the bag. If I were buying cord specifically for pulls, I think 2.5mm (which is just a hair smaller than 1/8") might be a little better.

The first photo shows the pulls attached the way PandaOps attached them. I like this method because they can be detached and reattached without any cutting or untying. I used this for the zippers on the main compartment and the two end pockets.

The second photo shows how I attached them on the smaller zippers of the two edge pockets. (AltruisticRobot posted a photo of this method in PandaOps' thread.) The 1/8" cord was just too heavy to do it the other way on these zippers. I like the look, but I can't remove them without cutting, so I think I still prefer the other method.

I'm not convinced that matching (or nearly matching) the zipper pulls to the fabric really looks better than using a contrasting color. But I'll keep it for now. The beauty of customizing the bag this way is that it's so easy to undo or change.

Zipper Pulls-pull1-jpg

Zipper Pulls-pull2-jpg

Forum Member
    Stuttgart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post. I am looking to get some reflecting cord to add to ours. Curious though, what, if anything are you using to seal the ends? It seems like this would come undone at the ends or start to fray without some sort of adhesive.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zipper Pulls

@whitnorris just quickly pass a lighter over the cord ends a couple of time’s to melt it, then shape the cooling end with moistened fingers or the metal part of the lighter. Be careful if you use fingers because it can burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Stuttgart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    @whitnorris just quickly pass a lighter over the cord ends a couple of time’s to melt it, then shape the cooling end with moistened fingers or the metal part of the lighter. Be careful if you use fingers because it can burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! A much easier a solution that can be reapplied as needed.