Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Daylight Briefcase Review

Just picked up a Daylight Briefcase in grey, and I liked it so much I posted a review to Medium:
    https://medium.com/@mattmarque/tom-b...w-3e69b7e9add0

I'd copy and paste the review in its entirety here if I could, but I'm not sure how to add the pictures. So here's the text.

Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase: a review

You know how when youíre thinking about getting something like a bike or a tattoo or a car that youíll start to notice everyoneís bikes, tattoos or cars in the weeks leading up to it? Iím like that with bags except Iím always like that.

I freely admit this is weird, and Iím honestly not sure when it started. Iíve been trying to think of when I became conscious of being unduly interested in bags and it canít have been more than a few years ago. Although I also recall buying a giant blue Timbuk2 messenger in a store over a decade ago so maybe the seed was there all along.

The point is Iím a bag person. I like bags a lot. Like a lot a lot. At one point or another Iíve either owned or seriously considered bags from Chrome, Timbuk2, GoRuck, Peak Design, Mission Workshop, Filson, Bedouin Foundry, Rickshaw, Dsptch, Defy, Topo Designs and a ton more Iím forgetting.

And like all people who are really into something, thereís this natural tension between wanting to find the One True Bag to rule them all and yet knowing that youíll never be satisfied because thatís generally how addiction works.

So why this bag?

I knew I wanted a small bag and probably something in a briefcase format. (Iíve noticed that when Iím carrying a larger bag I tend to fill it up with stuff I donít actually need). I wanted a bag that forced me to make some decisions on what was necessary vs. what ďwould be cool to have in my bag I guess.Ē

I also knew I wanted something designed to be carried comfortably on one shoulder, which meant a messenger or briefcase. I think on balance backpacks are actually more comfortable, but they tend to make my back sweat and since Iím never traveling more than a few miles at a time a messenger/briefcase is fine.

Messengers and briefcases are also optimized for access. This is important to me since Iím usually carrying around a small camera and being able to quickly unzip the top, reach in and have the camera in my hand in under 5 seconds is nice.

The other thing to consider is: how will you actually use it?

Forget the aspirational pictures of hipster-y bike messengers weaving through traffic with $200 messenger bags. Forget the Insta-filtered shots of impossibly beautiful people carrying $300 backpacks and thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment up mountains. You need to do you.
    In my case, Iím not a bike messenger. I mean, I sometimes ride a bike while wearing a messenger bag, but I donít get paid for it. At most Iím carrying something small-ish like a bike lock, maybe a sweater or a book, tops. So while Iíd like a bag that works well on a bike, itís not a deal breaker if it doesnít.

The sad reality is I mostly just need something to carry my laptop to the coffee shop down the block.

This means a lot of the bags on the market are overkill or severely overbuilt for my needs. Yes, there are bags that are wonderful at letting you haul tons of crap and take half of your apartment with you. And yes some of them are made out of exotic rubbers or come with MOLLE webbing all over so you can clip, I dunno, grenades to them but I donít need any of that.

Hereís how Tom Bihn describes the Daylight Briefcase on their website:

From the same ďless is moreĒ design school as the Daylight Backpack, the Daylight Briefcase is our answer to those who desire a classic, ultralight, and utilitarian briefcase...

...And, like any well-realized, pure, straight-forward design, the Daylight Briefcase is defined almost as much by what it forgoes as by what it features.

There. Thatís me. Something that carries just the basics, thatís designed to get out of the way ó stupid simple.

Color

Letís talk about the color first, as thatís typically one of the most polarizing aspects of a bag.

I (eventually) got mine in what Tom Bihn calls Grey, with the Steel parapack lining. I say eventually because I went back and forth on the color quite a bit. I was worried the grey would be too light or washed out, and going by the pictures on Tom Bihnís website it was hard to tell what the color would actually look like in person. (Grey is notoriously hard to judge from pictures alone).

It turns out itís perfect. Itís actually a fair bit darker than what they show on their website. Colors are always wildly subjective, but I think it looks nice. Not too light. Not too dark. Should go well with pretty much anything.

What is it like to use?

Itís hard to know in advance what a bag will ďfeelĒ like on a daily basis. Does it hang awkwardly on the body? Is it hard to get stuff in and out of? Do the zippers suck? Will it look weird and bulgy once everything is packed up? Will it abrade my shirts or make me feel sweaty?

Tom Bihn bags have a well-deserved and much-attested to reputation for being some of the most usable bags on the planet. I mean yes; the fabrics, hardware and stitching are all incredibly well done. But these days there are a ton of manufacturers out there sporting Cordura, or YKK zippers or Cobra buckles. In that regard Tom Bihn isnít especially unique in their materials.

Where Tom Bihn excels is at the little things. Like, for example, the zipper on the back has a subtle curve to it because itís easier to open that way one-handed when youíre carrying it on your shoulder. The lightweight handles are just stiff enough to stand up and be easy to grab without being flappy. The Cordura fabric is thick enough to add structure without making the bag feel heavy. The interior organization is minimal to keep weight down, but just when youíre thinking ďman I could do with like a pencil pocket or somethingĒ you notice theyíve added O-rings everywhere.
    Did I mention the O-rings yet? Theyíre pretty great. Basically theyíre little attachment points for things like organizational pouches, house keys or other trinkets. (Tom Bihn sells a giant range of things that can attach to the O-rings, too). In my case Iíve got a spare set of keys attached to the built-in loop and a headphones case attached to an O-ring near the front.

I want to touch on this topic of interior organization a bit more. Thereís this tendency to want a dedicated pocket for every little thing youíd potentially ever carry in your bag, but those pockets add up in terms of weight, and while some pocket sizing is pretty standard (pencils for example), youíll inevitably wind up with pockets that are either too big or too small for all your stuff.

Some companies like GoRuck and Chrome acknowledge this and tend towards less internal pocketing, while other companies like Timbuk2 and Incase tend to make products with tons of built-in internal organization. Both are valid approaches, but I think Tom Bihn strikes the difficult balance here. I donít feel like things are swimming around, and can still get to anything in the bag in seconds.

Iím going to assume if youíre reading this thereís at least a 20% chance you came across this post because you were Googling around for Daylight Briefcase reviews. If thatís the case (haha): hooray! I wrote this for you. Hopefully it helps you figure out whatever it is youíre trying to figure out.

If youíre like me and just want something to cary your laptop and a few other small things short distances then yeah, you should definitely check this out. Itís a thoughtful, durable, focused, minimal and (relatively) cheap bag made by a company who has been doing this for literally decades.

If youíre asking me if I think this briefcase is awesome, then thatís a resounding yes. You know how sometimes you just like something a whole lot even though itís hard to articulate why? Thatís how I feel about this bag. Itís just so good at being what it is.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice review. Since you mentioned cameras, how do you think this bag would work as a camera bag? (With a camera insert inside)

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well-written!

I owned a Daylight Briefcase Grey. I absolutely love the color, still carrying it everyday to work but I added a piggy-bag for some extra volume/storage.

I kinda hope for Limited Cordura with Halcyon option sometimes in the future.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Nice review. Since you mentioned cameras, how do you think this bag would work as a camera bag? (With a camera insert inside)
    Depends. Not well if you're thinking of putting a full DSLR in there. I'm using a Fuji X100 camera and with the lens cap on it's fine. Anything bigger and it'll bulge out or just not fit at all.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully agree. My Cocoa DLBC is by far the best briefcase I've ever owned. It hits the sweet spot for minimalist functionality.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)