Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Luminary and how I have it decked out

I love my Luminary. There are a few things I wish were different (front pockets are kind of useless, wish it was a little shorter but deeper, wish it came in a more floppy fabric) but those are rather minor.

So I have every day stuff, and a few extra containers I may add depending on what I'm doing. What I typically have is depicted here:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0356-jpg

I have 3 cubelets and 2 mini Q kits in the main body, along with a water bottle and typically either a 3D organizing cube in steel parapack that I use as a purse, or just throw my phone and wallet in.

The Mars cubelet is the latest rendition of my personal picnic kit, the Veridian one is my MacGuyver kit, and the Dawn one is my "comfort" kit.
    The kiwi Q kit holds a Jackery backup battery for my phone, and the steel one holds a headlamp. At the top is my Planet Wise sandwich wrap folded up, it is shown open below with my picnic kit.

As I mentioned the pockets are kind of useless, and here's what's in mine:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0362-jpg

There's reading glasses, a pouch of wipes, a whistle, flashlight and a compass on a lanyard.

More in next post.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 09-20-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the back compartment, I have this:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0358-jpg

There's a pouchkin with a couple of vinyl gloves should I have to touch something yucky, a disposable rain poncho. and a folding seat cushion which has been handy for wet picnic tables or cold metal chairs.

Here's what I have in the Mars Qkit. In addition I have a Planet Wise sandwich wrap in houndstooth. This fits nicely in my lap when eating something in the car. I also tuck a cut down thin cutting board in here. The eating kit has utensls, a mini bandana to use as a napkin, Swiss Army knife (with a serrated edge to cut bread!), salt and pepper, wipes, hand sanitizer, floss, toothpicks and some teas if I eat too much (peppermint and ginger).

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0359-jpg
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0360-jpg

Here's the contents of the "comfort" kit:
    tissues, sewing kit, toothwipes and disposable toothbrush, floss, shout wipe, lens wipe, woman supplies, earplugs, hard lotion in a tin, soap, compressed washcloth, face cream, and a plastic vial covered with duct tape which contains more brush picks, bobby pins, safety pins and a paperclip.

Here are the 2 Qkits:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0361-jpg

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lastly in the "always carry" items, is my MacGuyver kit:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0364-jpg

Here I have a CRKT Iota (mini spork), a Swiss Card, and envelope of handy things like kevlar string, wire, binder clip, tweezers, matches, needle and thread. There's a small vial of lavender oil (for first aid as well as aromatherapy), matches, lighter, subset of my first aid kit, rubber band, more earplugs, mirror, emergency contact list, an index card, tiny Spyderco knife, quarters and a clip on LED light.

Here's some optional equipment:

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_0363-jpg

This is a heavier first aid kit for when I am away from home overnight, as well as a Canyon cubelet with a variety of non perishable snacks like mini Lara bars, hard candy, almonds, trail mix....

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same Cloud/Cloud Luminary as you, and use mine every day. It wins first place as my favorite TB item.

I actually really value those small front pockets, simply because there are 2 things I need every time I go out somewhere on errands (which seems to be my life these days), and that is: my lip balm/skin moisturizer combo stick and a foldable shopping bag (not TB). I can even access them without taking the backpack off my back, my own special skill, lol.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Thank you for sharing this. I use my Navy Cubelet for snacks on the go. The other colors have been sitting on a shelf while I figure out what to put in them. This gives me several options. Love your MacGuyver kit! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my deep blue/grass luminary... lovely colours. The deep blue is rich and professional looking. The grass is bright but very happy and a great interior contrast colour.

I put on a whistle sternum strap.... I noticed that the buckles are the same size, but the fitment that holds the strap half to the webbing on the shoulder strap is SMALLER on the Luminary, so they are unbalanced sizes... I doubt anyone will ever notice in normal life though and it doesn't affect the functionality.

The small front pockets seem to be slightly different sizes, but that could just be the minor seam allowance being more noticeable since they are small. They are the perfect size for those odd little necessary things like a packet of tissue, lip balm, etc. I have the smaller Google Pixel phone and can fit it into the (slightly larger) side pocket (with nothing else).

Below are some pics showing a small canyon Cubelet attached to the upper ORings using small NiteIze S-Biners. They are small so the Cubelet doesn't hang down too far. I have a Kleen canteen in the bottle pocket and the Cubelet sits right above it, resting a tad on top.

My Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_20170925_193502-jpgMy Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_20170925_193455-jpgMy Luminary and how I have it decked out-img_20170925_193547-jpg

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the canyon looks amazing next to the grass! Are the NiteIze S-Biners made of plastic or are they metal? ARe they pretty sturdy? Where do you get them?

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nite-ize biners are metal and yes sturdy. You can get them at many outdoor retailers such as REI or online. They come in different sizes and some have locking mechanisms.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nite-Ize binders are also great for securing your zippers. I keep one on my back pocket zipper and clip it to the main pocket zips if I'm walking through crowded areas.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 09-26-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Wow, the canyon looks amazing next to the grass! Are the NiteIze S-Biners made of plastic or are they metal? ARe they pretty sturdy? Where do you get them?
    The Canyon & Grass do look really nice together. I have some Coyote key straps and am using them with the grass and also with Canyon in my S19 - good mellow contrast.

As they say in the replies, yes, the NiteIze are metal, good quality, lots of sizes, some locking... I did get mine from REI. They are useful for all sorts of random things.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also get the s-biners in plastic. The plastic ones are hard to find but they're out there.

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    The Nite-ize biners are metal and yes sturdy. You can get them at many outdoor retailers such as REI or online. They come in different sizes and some have locking mechanisms.
    You can also find them at Home Depot. They are super convenient and helpful in may things.