Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Austin US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I like the Halcyon Sidekick a lot. It's squishy yet stands up if there's something flat in the bottom.
    That would be helpful. The ballistic ones seemed to be too shaped to sit upright for long. One more reason to try it in Halcyon. :D

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone comment on the level of structure of the 525 vs. 1050 vs. Halcyon in the Side Kick? I'm not sure I want something as structured as 1050, but Halcyon seems like it might be a bit too formless for my taste.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Can anyone comment on the level of structure of the 525 vs. 1050 vs. Halcyon in the Side Kick? I'm not sure I want something as structured as 1050, but Halcyon seems like it might be a bit too formless for my taste.
    I have both and love them both. The 525 is definitely a bit more structured, which is sometimes great. I do like the Halcyon version for its ability to squash into unlikely spots.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I am a huge, huge halcyon fan. It is my preferred fabric. So the day the Side Kick debuted, I immediately purchased one in Nordic. Yes, it is more flexible and pliable and donít mistake me, thatís a definite plus in some cases. For some reason I just canít get into it. Iíve only used it maybe four times. But then I purchased the Side Kick in the 1050 ballistic and I much prefer it to one in halcyon. And this is a gigantic change for me because I do not care for my Side Effect in 1050 ballistic and absolutely adore my 200d halcyon ones. They are my absolute favorite Tom Bihn bag. I wish TB would bring them back because I would love one in Island and Ultraviolet.

Now with that said, I think the 525 ballistic SK is a winner because is it softer, more pliable than the 1050 but holds its shape better than halcyon. Plus I love all the choices of color. I have one in Mars Red/Canyon and it is perfect. For me, I think it depends on the bag which fabric is better. In the small Side Effect, 1050 ballistic is much too stiff and halcyon is so much better; however, in the larger Side Kick, the opposite is true. But in both bags, the 525 ballistic is wonderful. My advice would be to buy both or all three types of fabric and test pack them and return the one/ones you donít want, because here on the forum everyone has different opinions about fabric and you need to have hands-on experience to see which one is best for you.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those photos of the Mars Red/Canyon are stunning! I've never been a red fan, but that combo and that bag are compelling.

Also, hello from a fellow TB Michigander :-)
    Last edited by bermudajes; 12-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    I am a huge, huge halcyon fan. It is my preferred fabric. So the day the Side Kick debuted, I immediately purchased one in Nordic. Yes, it is more flexible and pliable and don’t mistake me, that’s a definite plus in some cases. For some reason I just can’t get into it. I’ve only used it maybe four times. But then I purchased the Side Kick in the 1050 ballistic and I much prefer it to one in halcyon. And this is a gigantic change for me because I do not care for my Side Effect in 1050 ballistic and absolutely adore my 200d halcyon ones. They are my absolute favorite Tom Bihn bag. I wish TB would bring them back because I would love one in Island and Ultraviolet.

Now with that said, I think the 525 ballistic SK is a winner because is it softer, more pliable than the 1050 but holds its shape better than halcyon. Plus I love all the choices of color. I have one in Mars Red/Canyon and it is perfect. For me, I think it depends on the bag which fabric is better. In the small Side Effect, 1050 ballistic is much too stiff and halcyon is so much better; however, in the larger Side Kick, the opposite is true. But in both bags, the 525 ballistic is wonderful. My advice would be to buy both or all three types of fabric and test pack them and return the one/ones you don’t want, because here on the forum everyone has different opinions about fabric and you need to have hands-on experience to see which one is best for you.
    I think you addressed a lot of my concerns and my thinking. I, too, LOVE Halcyon, but for a bag like the Side Kick it doesn't seem quite right. I think a bag like that needs some structure, but it seems that the 1050 might be a bit of overkill.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, I'm disappointed with Side Effect and it still in my storage - totally unused and with tag. But your photos especially Mars Red/Canyon really looks appealing, at least aesthetically and I'm going to give a chance to try out especially Canyon is set to retired soon.

Also, thanks for capturing those amazing photos and thr Deep Blue "matte" sheen. Plus, your mentioned "matte" Aubergine. Very interesting to know.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2