1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Sorry mods, could I trouble you to rotate the photos? Can't seem to get it sorted on my end. Thanks!)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The paper in the file box is 14" long. Box dimensions are 10.7" x 14.6". Even carrying your files this way, you wouldn't have much room under your arm to shoulder carry. I can just do it with no coat/jacket. And you definitely can't zip the tote over the files.
    Following up on this. The Olive PT arrived a couple of days ago and I tested it with the files I typically carry around.

Paper folders around 13.9" x 9.35" - OK! Zips up fine. Packed the PT with about 5 of these at around 1" thick.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-img_0056-900-jpg

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-img_0055-900-jpg

Ring binders around 13.5" x 11" - Not OK. Too wide for the PT. Can't zip over the corners of the file, alas.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-img_0057-900-jpg

Fortunately I seldom have to carry ring binders around, so it looks like I have yet another court tote option. I am currently using a NYRB zip top tote which I love, but doesn't have any internal organisation at all! It seems like some folks have issues with the side pockets not being very useful when the main compartment is stuffed, but they're a good size for me to cram post-its and other stationery into plus my COW and phone when packing up in a hurry (which happens all too often...). I wish I had had this bag during all those times I carried tonnes of bound A4 documents in a shop bag, which often spilled its contents when put through the court security scanner. When you're rushing, small inconveniences like that can be stressful.

My tentative $0.02 is that the 525 BN is a great material for this bag. It feels sturdier than the halcyon, but is not as heavy as the 1050 BN. When I used the PT as a Shop Bag substitute last night at the supermarket and pet store, I definitely felt more secure dumping cans of cat food, canned tomatoes, etc. into the PT than I would into a SB. (It was also reassuring to know that the contents of the PT wouldn't spill out in the car if I stepped on the brakes.) The softness of the 525 also allows it to accommodate my A4 paper folders which I am pretty sure would be a much harder fit if the bag was made of 1050. I really see why 525 is being used to replace Cordura now.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I got this in Mars Red instead of Olive, but since Olive is going away at some point and the red is most definitely court-inappropriate (as opposed to the only "slightly inappropriate" Olive), I am still happy with my choice. Looking forward to testing this bag more in the next few months.
    Last edited by MatthewR; 03-18-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Rotated images.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop Tote Add In

I decided to go a step further and place a horizontal pocket in my Pop Tote. My TB pouches weren't quite large enough to span between the snaps so this is a garden variety pounch that I used for receipts in my glovebox.

Here are the results. It's going to be really handy for tickets/passport etc when travelling.

I had trouble uploading the pics but you can see them at https://photos.app.goo.gl/0LnmCQH9YwIb7Dwn1

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kreckman View Post
    I decided to go a step further and place a horizontal pocket in my Pop Tote. My TB pouches weren't quite large enough to span between the snaps so this is a garden variety pounch that I used for receipts in my glovebox.

Here are the results. It's going to be really handy for tickets/passport etc when travelling.

I had trouble uploading the pics but you can see them at https://photos.app.goo.gl/0LnmCQH9YwIb7Dwn1
    Love it! Did you just add the snaps?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Very Simple to do. The kit with snaps was $6. All you need is a hammer

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13