Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see the tote bag being carried by a larger person (no offence to Mausermama's very accommodating sister-in-law) just for comparison. It suddenly looks like such a big bag, which is not a bad thing, but bigger than I had realised.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kirri: The photos and the video on the product page show it being carried by several different sized people.

Houston, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I completely understand the o rings couldn't support a shoulder strap, just wishful thinking. As someone with sloping shoulders, I can't just hang a bag on one shoulder, so it has to be hand held, cross body, or backpack.
    “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrpe View Post
    No, I completely understand the o rings couldn't support a shoulder strap, just wishful thinking. As someone with sloping shoulders, I can't just hang a bag on one shoulder, so it has to be hand held, cross body, or backpack.
    Hi Kerpe

I'm sure you know your own body but I just wondered if you have tried the TB shoulder bags. I don't like carrying a bag on one shoulder as I raise my shoulder up to meet it and end up with chronically sore neck/shoulder area, however I find I can carry a swift quite happily. I think the roughness of the shoulder fabric and perhaps the stiffness helps.

Having said that, this is only because I travel by car now. When I am in the city and walk more, I always revert to backpack or cross body.

Just throwing it out there in case you haven't tried them. You might be pleasantly surprised at their 'sticking in place' power.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Hi Kirri: The photos and the video on the product page show it being carried by several different sized people.
    Thanks I had noticed and been very pleased to see the people of different ages/sizes/shapes and activities - much more representative than some of the product pages have been. I had forgotten to go back and look at again after the initial look. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think a tote bag of any type lends itself to cross body wear. I want a completely different shaped and designed bag for crossbody, like a zip top messenger.

I use a tote as a tote, and not as an EDC, so it goes from the car to the house, or the car into work, but not schlepped around. I don't live in a "walk to the store" type of city, so I get that some people would spend a lot of time with the tote on their shoulder if they walk to the shops.

I find that if I have a tote on my shoulder for a period of time, that I hook my hand around the front part of the two straps and that seems to keep it on my shoulder for the amount of time that it's there. If it's fully packed, though, it's going to be a hand carry, because it will be too bulky and heavy for my shoulder.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to Mausermamas gorgous fotos, here is me (6‘2) with all the Tom Bihn tote style bags I have:

1. Pop Tote

2. Swift

3. Little Swift (discontinued)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here the Shop Bags:

4. Small Shop Bag

5. Large Shop Bag

By the way: I am glad, that these bags do not have longer straps and here is why: my shoulders have also difficulties keeping bags up (it helps a bit if I put the outer strap over the inner). I often end up carrying these bags by there handles in my hand (weird sentence, I hope I am making sense here) and for that they have a great length. For the moments I need my hands free I still can put the, over the shoulder. So this length guarantees two carry options for most people. But of cause this is just one way of looking at it.

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do the outer strap over inner on my shoulder to hold it in place, but also carry over my arm or by hand - little swift, big swift, shop bags. I find the strap length just right for these.

Height 5.7 (although my adolescent kids tell me I must be shrinking by now as I am getting so old - ha! I'm in my prime!)

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect, thank you, Ilkyway. Your photos are always so wonderfully illustrative.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    And here the Shop Bags:

By the way: I am glad, that these bags do not have longer straps and here is why: my shoulders have also difficulties keeping bags up (it helps a bit if I put the outer strap over the inner). I often end up carrying these bags by there handles in my hand (weird sentence, I hope I am making sense here) and for that they have a great length. For the moments I need my hands free I still can put the, over the shoulder. So this length guarantees two carry options for most people. But of cause this is just one way of looking at it.

Ilkyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I also do the outer strap over inner on my shoulder to hold it in place, but also carry over my arm or by hand - little swift, big swift, shop bags. I find the strap length just right for these.

Height 5.7 (although my adolescent kids tell me I must be shrinking by now as I am getting so old - ha! I'm in my prime!)
    Yes, Darcy's 11-25-2008 comment from the original Ultra light utility tote in Dyneema thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Try this - I tuck one strap behind, over, and then slightly under the other strap. Does that make sense? That really helps them stay in place!
    (For those of you interested in how the Shop Bag came to be designed, this is the thread started in 10-25-2007 by forum member @ratdeau that led to the development of the Shop Bag

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Mausermama and Ilkyway for taking pictures of the Pop Tote and other TB Shoulder Bags.

Your pictures are really helpful!

I don't want to rush to get the Pop Tote, even if its design, is my dream precipitation season shoulder bag, because I want to see even more pictures of women wearing it.

The pictures above have done a great job highlighting the way the bag fits with women of different size, especially the chest to upper arm circumference ratio.

The Small Shop Bag handles/side of the bag space ratio it too tight for me to place the bag easily into my shoulder, with the arm of the carrying shoulder.

I also have some questions about accessories and smaller bags that could fit inside the Pop Tote: the Side Kick, Field Journal Notebook, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube or various TB Cubes of the same dimension, the Daylight Briefcase (as an electronic and letter size paperwork holder), the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags(that would play the part of the colorful liner similar to the Small Shop Bag)?

The smaller bags provide inner organization similar to Ilkyway's, the Field Journal Notebook replacing the Traveler's Notebooks and the Freudian Slip.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-25-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post

I find that if I have a tote on my shoulder for a period of time, that I hook my hand around the front part of the two straps and that seems to keep it on my shoulder for the amount of time that it's there. .....
    I often carry two shop bags one on each shoulder and holding the straps like you describe. The bag is pushed back so I'm almost carrying it like you carry a backpack on one shoulder with one strap.

I'm around 5'7" but find the large shop bag can sometimes touch the ground when hand carried if not packed strategically - in fact just today I noticed my large shop bag has a hole in the bottom, presumably where it has grazed the ground at some point ... :-(

I actually prefer the small bags as the large can become too heavy when filled with groceries.
    List under construction ....

Houston, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    Hi Kerpe

I'm sure you know your own body but I just wondered if you have tried the TB shoulder bags. I don't like carrying a bag on one shoulder as I raise my shoulder up to meet it and end up with chronically sore neck/shoulder area, however I find I can carry a swift quite happily. I think the roughness of the shoulder fabric and perhaps the stiffness helps.

Having said that, this is only because I travel by car now. When I am in the city and walk more, I always revert to backpack or cross body.

Just throwing it out there in case you haven't tried them. You might be pleasantly surprised at their 'sticking in place' power.
    I am assuming this will be much like a shop bag, which will not stay on my shoulder. Same goes for my SCB. My SE will sometimes stay there, but only because it's light. I just have crummy shoulders, LOL.
    But in certain cases, I don't need to carry my camera gear, but need it handy. Like in a jeep on safari. I think this would be great then.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

Houston, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    And here the Shop Bags:

4. Small Shop Bag

5. Large Shop Bag

Ilkyway

Yes, they are great for grab and go!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast