Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Scottevest owner chiming in..l’ve been using mine for almost a decade. I consider it an essential air travel companion and use it frequently when I need to be “bag free”. It is very well designed, comfortable, and has held up well...Scottevest may be the “Tom Bihn” of the travel vest World... :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Another Scottevest owner chiming in..l’ve been using mine for almost a decade. I consider it an essential air travel companion and use it frequently when I need to be “bag free”. It is very well designed, comfortable, and has held up well...Scottevest may be the “Tom Bihn” of the travel vest World... :-)
    I have two of their vests: the regular one (a red RFID vest and the Q.U.E.S.T. vest). I like both of them, but that Q.U.E.S.T. vest is quite heavy. I rarely wear it in Florida, reserving it for when I travel to much colder climes. I sort of wish I'd purchased the RFID one in a more neutral color. I rarely wear red when traveling, so it tends to sit in my closet more than it would if I'd gotten it in black.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yet another SCOTTeVEST owner here. I have the jacket with zip off sleeves which was ideal for adventure travel. It held all the stuff a “Safari/photographer” vest holds but doesn’t shout out TOURIST. I also recommend the fleece hoodie which we wear as our everyday jacket as well as an extra layer for flights and cool evenings. (My husband has worn his continuously since 2012 and it’s still looking great)

I also own the trench coat which is very heavy. I still bring it along occasionally but would never wear it around town.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoobdo View Post

One more thing, is the ballistic nylon water resistant? Like the shopping bags? I hope so?
    Yes they have the same water repelling coating but the zipper is not a splash proof one like on the backpacks.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Yes the crew has ruled it out for the Little Swift and Swift. And this bag has a bigger capacity.

So even though the O-Rings are in a good position for a shoulder strap they are not strong enough as that is not their intended purpose. What about the Nightflight Travelduffel? It has 20 L so nearly the same capazity and comes with a shoulder strap.

Ilkyway

PS: thank you @AlaskaGirl that is good advice!
    I understand the o-rings are strong enough but could you connect a triangle clip to the straps which connect the o-rings?
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveltech I am not sure it is the O-Rings. The webbing for the O-Rings is not as thick as webbing that is intended to hold a shoulderstrap. And maybe the seems are not as reinforced either? This is all speculation but the whole O-Ring construction is not to hold a full and heavy bag but to hold accesories so I would not try it to be honest

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to snag a Pop Tote in black. I'm really excited to check out the new Ballistic 525 material and I think it'll make a great personal item for flying or other transit, adding some nice organization and a zipper while still having the ease of access of the Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    @Ilkyway, you have noted exactly how I feel about the Maker’s Bag. While I love it as a knitting bag, it doesn’t work for me for my EDC stuff because the weight of the items keeps me off balance and my back begins to get angry.

Historically, I have always preferred crossbody wear. The Imago was my first TB bag. I selected it over the Swift for my knitting things. In this the Maker’s Bag excels. But not for anything heavier.

I love love love my Pop Tote! I find I can carry heavier items in it without the pain I have in a similarly apportioned cross body bag. Already I have put notebooks in (the Field Journal Notebook fits fine) along with a bunch of essential oils in glass vials along with my knitting and EDC stuff. I carried it with all of this stuff and a full metal insulated water bottle for more than two hours on a campus tour for my daughter this past week and was fine. Previously the only way I could have managed that would be to use my Synapse 19.

It’s a great bag. I’m so glad Tom finally felt he had designed something of note to release in a zippered tote bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you Mausermama for sharing that the FJN fits fine in the Pop Tote and the comparison with the S19.

It seems that the Pop Tote is an east/west/horizontal version of the S19. Is that the experience of the owners of both of those bags?

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there even a remote chance that this might become offered in 400 Halcyon? I think this could be an amazing and awesome ECD for me (the black of hole of "put everything inside!" bag including gym stuff) but I'd be over the moon if this came in 400 Halcyon.

Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Is there even a remote chance that this might become offered in 400 Halcyon? I think this could be an amazing and awesome ECD for me (the black of hole of "put everything inside!" bag including gym stuff) but I'd be over the moon if this came in 400 Halcyon.
    That's why I'm still on the fence with purchasing one. I like my large halcyon shopping bag. Perfect size as a throw all, lightweight and easily foldable to reduce an extra bag to zero when stashed in a backpack etc. But, it needs a zipper to be perfect:D
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m gonna add myself to this cheers squad. A pop tote in 400 black halcyon, for me, would be perfection. Please consider it TB!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katcalls View Post
    I’m gonna add myself to this cheers squad. A pop tote in 400 black halcyon, for me, would be perfection. Please consider it TB!
    I would love one.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First wave of the Pop Tote is sold out. Can't wait to get mine and try it out. If it is as awesome as I think it will be, I am sure to order more colors. Glad to see four of the colors are in production and will be in stock soon.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pop Tote in olive arrived and I love it! What a great bag. I see so many possibilities for its use. It's been raining this morning but the sun came out so I decided to take a couple pictures. Now bear in mind, the Pop Tote looks so much better in person than in my bad pictures.

A lot of times if I am going away for the weekend and it's either a last-minute trip or if I am feeling lazy, I will pack everything in a large shop bag and take along a crossbody bag. Before TSA security, I will stuff the crossbody into the LSB. With the Pop Tote, I love the zipper and the snaps. I envision one of its uses in one-bag mode, meaning I will have my clothes and toiletries in it and then tether either a SE, SK, or TC using a brightly colored key strap.

Have I said how much I love olive? I was fortunate to get a new Luminary in olive/canyon through a trade and I was sold on olive. It's actually a great neutral. I know it's difficult to tell from my photos, but aubergine and Mars Red look great with it. So if you're on the fence about what color to choose, don't hesitate to pick olive. Just my two cents, though...

Oh, and I love the fact that my Zoji bottle fits so nicely in the outer pocket. It's almost like it was made for it.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop-tote-1-jpgPop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop-tote-2-jpgPop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop-tote-3-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    My Pop Tote in olive arrived and I love it! What a great bag. I see so many possibilities for its use. It's been raining this morning but the sun came out so I decided to take a couple pictures. Now bear in mind, the Pop Tote looks so much better in person than in my bad pictures.

A lot of times if I am going away for the weekend and it's either a last-minute trip or if I am feeling lazy, I will pack everything in a large shop bag and take along a crossbody bag. Before TSA security, I will stuff the crossbody into the LSB. With the Pop Tote, I love the zipper and the snaps. I envision one of its uses in one-bag mode, meaning I will have my clothes and toiletries in it and then tether either a SE, SK, or TC using a brightly colored key strap.

Have I said how much I love olive? I was fortunate to get a new Luminary in olive/canyon through a trade and I was sold on olive. It's actually a great neutral. I know it's difficult to tell from my photos, but aubergine and Mars Red look great with it. So if you're on the fence about what color to choose, don't hesitate to pick olive. Just my two cents, though...

Oh, and I love the fact that my Zoji bottle fits so nicely in the outer pocket. It's almost like it was made for it.
    Never thought I’d say it, but I wish I’d ordered that gorgeous olive!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast