1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm go to throw in my vote for one of these too! I'd love to be able to add some extra interior organisation halcyon to lighten up the inside. and while I get that totes are in theory supposed to be simple bags you can chuck everything into, it looks like a lot of us TB devotees would love to have the option to move between organisation and "chuck it all in". 2018 Wish List for me, right there!

Quote Originally Posted by majandra22 View Post

Another option could even be a separate halcyon liner with pockets/organization that snaps into the existing set-up (when snapped or unsnapped), that way people could choose their liner color and add the heft/organization only when desired. If I had a some spare halcyon, I'd try to make one for myself, but there is no way I will sacrifice my original nordic or fjord shop bags!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a pop tote yet, but I personally find the simple side pockets in the shop bags to be really useful. They're fairly agnostic as to what can be put in them and have enough depth to hold larger items like water bottles and umbrellas, but they're unobtrusive enough to be flattened and pushed out of the way when not needed. I think I'd miss them in the PT as I just don't find external pockets as secure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I FINALLY got my Pop Totes delivered last night. I ordered them 1 minute after they debuted. It took them 8 days to reach me. Sigh.

I wish the side pockets were bigger, as it's a bit of a challenge to get my hand into them, but I like the bag.

I love the Mars Red. It's nice and bright on the inside.
    I love the Alphaviolet, but it clashes horribly with my favorite aubergine, so it's going back.
    I don't like the Deep Blue, as it's too dark on the inside. However, I'm keeping it because it's going to turn into my TARDIS bag of holding.
    I may have to reorder a small shopbag in a bright color to line the Deep Blue PT.

My thanks to Tom for giving us a zip top tote bag that I've been begging for. If you make it in aubergine, I'm buying one.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    majandra22 my vote too for some snap in liner pockets, someone mentioned the PT, that's a bit more organization than needed and simply not tall enough to be a tote. I am a bag in bag person, but as you mentioned it does become a pretty penny to hack the bag. I found a yarn bag or something like that, you can't tell but the bottom of the yarn sack is see through there is a side hook attached to one side of the bag and a short attachment is rigged to the inside hook of the yarn bag and hooked onto the opposite side of the PT so that it won't fall over. Finally I buttoned the attachment strap down on the PT bag and cinched it or you can loosen it for more room. This seems to have solved my issue and now the blender bottle won't fall over. I also have inside of it two rolled up bags for shopping. Inside the large compartment a side kick, travel cubelet and cubelet, scarf. Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pt-hack-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to add my wish that there was some simple internal organization in the Pop Tote. I’d love just a couple of simple drop pockets, similar to those in the shop bag, on the long side of the bag. Internal pockets on the short side would be unusable if a water bottle was in the outer pocket. I don’t think these would take anything away from the dump and go or foldabilty nature of the tote but would allow those of us who don’t use pouches and key straps for everything a bit of organization. And yes, I know there have been hacks suggested to create internal pockets and I’m a bag in bag girl (my SK lives in all my larger bags) but the idea of having to nest a shop bag, LS or even full-sized Swift (see Ravelry forums) in the PT to make it ideal is just something I can’t wrap my head around.

PS the idea of removable snap in pockets is pure genius!
    Last edited by jess; 12-06-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this how Iíve added organization to my pop tote. Itís an organizer insert from a diaper bag. I like this option because the insert is totally removable so I can swap it into the s25 if that works better for the days activities. Iím using the interior o-rings for keys, wallet, and pepper spray. I use the end pockets for water bottles, one for the kid, one for the adult(s).

The organizer is from a LilyJade bag, but there are cheaper options available. It just happened to be what I had.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-img_8103-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    And yes, I know there have been hacks suggested to create internal pockets and Iím a bag in bag girl (my SK lives in all my larger bags) but the idea of having to nest a shop bag, LS or even full-sized Swift (see Ravelry forums) in the PT to make it ideal is just something I canít wrap my head around.
    I'm with @jess on this one as I don't understand how adding a bag without a lot of internal organization to the Pop Tote solve that issue. But maybe there's another point?

Also, I am totally Team Black Hole Bag, so there's that :)

All that said, I am contemplating giving the FS another try as I could see it working well with the Pop Tote.

Oh, and ETA -- I used to be Team Aubergine but I have totally defected to Team Alphaviolet, so I hope there is an Alphaviolet A45 planned!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spotted your Orange 152 3D organiser cube - I have one too. It is my absolute favourite TB item, followed by the same in azure. I am very vocal about my love of all things zest (Bring it Back Please), but there is something about that orange combined with the shape and clear sides.... WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    So this how I’ve added organization to my pop tote. It’s an organizer insert from a diaper bag. I like this option because the insert is totally removable so I can swap it into the s25 if that works better for the days activities. I’m using the interior o-rings for keys, wallet, and pepper spray. I use the end pockets for water bottles, one for the kid, one for the adult(s).

The organizer is from a LilyJade bag, but there are cheaper options available. It just happened to be what I had.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-img_8103-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    I spotted your Orange 152 3D organiser cube - I have one too. It is my absolute favourite TB item, followed by the same in azure. I am very vocal about my love of all things zest (Bring it Back Please), but there is something about that orange combined with the shape and clear sides.... WOW.
    I like the nice bright colors. Makes things easy to find. I have a dark blue small qkit in there too, but it kind of gets lost in the shadows.

The orange 152 3DOC is my first aid kit. I like the bright orange because it's easy to find in any bag, and the clear sides because it helps to be able to find what I'm looking for quickly.

The ultraviolet zipper pouch is for my son's training pants & wipes.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to try out the Pop Tote as a weekend or short-vacation set-up. I think it would be great in combination with the Luminary: the light stuff, such as clothes, would go in the tote, and the heavier items, such as toiletry bag and chargers, could go in the backpack.

Here's the Pop Tote with three small Aeronaut 30 aether cubes, laying horizontally on top of each other. There was plenty of room on the top for a Side Kick (or Side Effect, or Travel Cubelet). If I'd wanted to, some small pouches probably could have been slotted into the edges. For travel, I'd probably put my boarding pass and phone in the outside pockets.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop_tote_full-jpg

and showing the contents:

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop_tote_contents-jpg

One more photo, just to show what the front looks like. It's full but not overstuffed with this load.

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn-pop_tote_hanging-jpg

Packed with scarves (admittedly, not a very rigorous test), the PT was quite light. But I think that it would be fine with real clothes. If it got too heavy, however, I'd probably want to switch from a tote bag to something with a more robust carry system, so that's why my idea would be to pair it with the Luminary to balance the load.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-06-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bchaplin, lovely pictures!

Thank you for the packing idea! Would you mind sharing what Tom Bihn Accessory has roughly the same capacity as the small Aeronaut 30 Aether cubes?

Are they closer to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, the 3 D OC or the Travel Cubele? Even a comparaison with the SE would be helpful.

Checking capacity draws a blank, if I don't have a picture of similar bags, in my mind.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-06-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    @scoobdo

Since there are new posts after mine I decided to do a new one.....
    After looking at all your photos again and the most newest ones by other members, it seems that either organizer inserts or packing cubes would be needed to keep the load from trying to escape. I really need a large lightweight foldable zippered tote I can just cram everything in at a minutes notice, so this pop tote won't work for me. Unfortunately. It's just too small.

I hope one day (soon), there will be a Tom Bihn large zippered shopping bag! :) Until then, I'll be buying an sob (some other brand).

Thanks again for posting all your pics!
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,@skoobdo. I packed everything into cubes because that is my travel style. I used the A30 cubes, which are about the same size as the bottom of the Pop Tote, because it's what I happened to have, and they seemed to fit well, but a number of options would work.

Actually, for my every-day carry, it's pretty much the same thing; everything gets compartmentalized. So that's not so much a function of the PT but my personal choice. I carry a bunch of tiny things, and I've learned that rather than digging for them, I prefer using a system of compartments that have color cues. I know that my chargers are in the orange bag, the Advil in the purple one, etc. It helps me get through the day, because otherwise I'm a very disorganized person. So that's why I compartmentalize.

But as for the Pop Tote: the other day when I was shopping, I had my umbrella, coat, Travel Cubelet, and gloves, all loose, and a small bag of groceries. There was no need for any more organization.

What do you typically carry? I'm not trying to push you towards one choice or another, but if it helps, I can test-pack for you & take a photo.

--Beth
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Hi,@skoobdo. I packed everything into cubes because that is my travel style. I used the A30 cubes, which are about the same size as the bottom of the Pop Tote, because it's what I happened to have, and they seemed to fit well, but a number of options would work.

Actually, for my every-day carry, it's pretty much the same thing; everything gets compartmentalized. So that's not so much a function of the PT but my personal choice. I carry a bunch of tiny things, and I've learned that rather than digging for them, I prefer using a system of compartments that have color cues. I know that my chargers are in the orange bag, the Advil in the purple one, etc. It helps me get through the day, because otherwise I'm a very disorganized person. So that's why I compartmentalize.

But as for the Pop Tote: the other day when I was shopping, I had my umbrella, coat, Travel Cubelet, and gloves, all loose, and a small bag of groceries. There was no need for any more organization.

What do you typically carry? I'm not trying to push you towards one choice or another, but if it helps, I can test-pack for you & take a photo.

--Beth
    llkyway had posted photos of some items that I would carry in the pop tote further up this thread. But, they were packed in cubes/pouches.

You may recall reading my other posts about needing a zippered bag to throw all my stuff (things i carry in me during a flight and through the airport). I posted a photo of 3 of the items.

All that stuff needs to come off when walking through customs, TSA etc. So, a large lightweight zippered bag is what I need. I used the shopping bag earlier this year, but it's not as secured.

To be exact, it needs to hold a shawl/scarf, jacket, scottevest (all pockets full), 2 hats, 2 money belts, 1 neck wallet, sweater, and purse. I keep everything above that is important on me at all times, other than when I go through security or customs. So, that's when I need to easily dump stuff in a bag.

The pop tote really doesn't look very large at all. I think I will have an issue trying to zip it up in a hurry at the line scan. Too bad it's not bigger.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoobdo View Post

The pop tote really doesn't look very large at all. I think I will have an issue trying to zip it up in a hurry at the line scan. Too bad it's not bigger.
    The pop tote....like almost all other TB bags is "bigger on the inside".
    It'll depend on how bulky the jacket is, and how big the purse is, but the pop tote really can carry quite a bit. If it's a relatively thin jacket and the purse is not too large, then it probably would all fit.

Poptote is 19 liters, about the same volume as an s19. Unlike the s19 the pop tote is unstructured (aside from the pockets on the sides). You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the pop tote.

Ikea has a very inexpensive zip top tote bag called the "Knalla". If you don't overstuff it, it should fit as a carryon for most international airlines. It's really big and I wouldn't want to use it as an everyday sightseeing bag, but it would make for a nice "get me through the TSA and customs" bag.
    Last edited by Kelly S; 12-07-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: product suggestion

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast