Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop Tote a take on zipped Totes by Tom Bihn

Ever since I joyned this forums I read the requests about a ziped version of the Shop Bags. For quite a while I personaly did not think I‘d need one. But ever since I started using a small Shop Bag as my under the seat bag on flights I thought: it would be neet if I could zip it shutt when waiting in line to board or walk across the to the plane when it rains... and here it is:

Inside:
    - Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip
    - 9.7‘ iPad Pro
    - Side Effect used as a pencil case
    - 500 ml Kleen Kanteen bottle
    - Travel Cubelet
    - Two Traveler‘s Notebooks size whide (the large Cahier size for refference)
    - a small turkish towel

I like to put one of these towels at the bottom of totes for both: cushening the content a bit and having a towel when needed. Oh and it also lightens up the inside of a Swift or a Pop Tote nicely.

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like, that the medium Cafe Bag FS can be tucked under the side if that is buttoned down:

Because this way the FS wound topple over even when the bag is otherwise empty:

And I think that I will use the bag open most of the part just zipping it shut either in bad weather or in crowds. This Deep Blue by the way is the most beautiful blue and it makes me swoon each time I look at it :-)

The side pockets are the same on both sides. What I particularly like is: both the top open and the zipped one will fit a large phone like an iPhone 8 plus or similar sized. It also fits the 500 ml KK bottle or a bar of chokolat:

And if you like me are constantly searching for your car keys: they can be dropped secured to a keystrap inside that top open outer pocket:

Ilkyway

“Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets compare some sizes:

From left to right:
    Large Shop Bag in Viridian: 25 L
    Pop Tote in Deep Blue: 19.5 L
    Swift in oNordic: 15.5 L
    Small Shop Bag in Zest: 16 L
    Little Swift in Aubergine: 8.2 L

I realise that the Small Shop Bag has 0.5 L larger capasity than the Swift due to its square shape but it look somehow right to place them this way.

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a comparison of the Pop Tote and the Swift both with the same content. The difference in volume is even more aparent in person than in the pictures:
    the Pop Tote has room to spare and items go very easy in and out. The Swift is packed like this a tighter fit and it takes a bit more wiggling to get stuff or put it away.

Oh and... because I could not resist and I am a bag in bag nutter... here is the Zest Small Shop Bag inside the Pop Tote working both as a liner and adding two pockets:

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Here is a comparison of the Pop Tote and the Swift both with the same content. The difference in volume is even more aparent in person than in the pictures:
    the Pop Tote has room to spare and items go very easy in and out. The Swift is packed like this a tighter fit and it takes a bit more wiggling to get stuff or put it away.

Oh and... because I could not resist and I am a bag in bag nutter... here is the Zest Small Shop Bag inside the Pop Tote working both as a liner and adding two pockets:

Ilkyway

I love your use of the SSB inside as a liner! That addresses my only reservation about getting a Deep Blue Pop Tote, which is being able to see to the bottom. Thanks!

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh by the way: the Large Cafe Bag Freudian Slip will fit too, you just wound be able to shat thouse two buttons:

Ilkyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I like, that the medium Cafe Bag FS can be tucked under the side if that is buttoned down:

Because this way the FS wound topple over even when the bag is otherwise empty:
    That's amazing @Ilkyway. I just swapped away my MCB FS!! Ah...
    And that Orange Shop Bag, regret that I didn't get.

I'm sure will get a Pop Tote soon.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 11-21-2017 at 06:11 AM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the photo shoot! Wonderful as always.
    Does carrying the Pop Tote feel more like carrying the Swift or the Little Swift? The LS is one of my favorite bags. I like the idea of having one that zips. I think it would make a great shopping bag, as well as a flight bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How closely does the SSB fit as a liner? A bit big? A bit small? Just right?

HUM, you know, using a SSB as a liner means I could buy more than one Pop Tote and easily move the contents from one bag to another.

Grr. I just sold all my SSBs as they were too small, and I kept the large ones. Now I wish I'd kept a small one.

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplin it carries more like the Swift. It is substantially larger than the Little Swift.

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BWeaves you have a bit room left to the sides but I feel it is a pritty good fit and the quick swapping from one bag to another would work I think.
    Just test it for yourself with one I suggest before you buy multiple ;-)

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another observation: the owners of a Yarn Stuff Sack size medium (the one that comes with a Swift) it will reach the one of the O-Rings on either side of the main compartment perfectly.

Ilkyway

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Ilkyway!

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pictures have sold me on grabbing one of these bags for my upcoming trips (England/Belgium in December, Japan/Hong Kong in March). Now to decide on a color.....

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thank you for the photo shoot! Wonderful as always.
    Does carrying the Pop Tote feel more like carrying the Swift or the Little Swift? The LS is one of my favorite bags. I like the idea of having one that zips. I think it would make a great shopping bag, as well as a flight bag.
    I likened my feeling about the Pop Tote over on the Ravelry forums like this:

What happens when a Swift and a Shop Bag love each other very, very much? They have Pop Tote babies!

The result, at least for me, is much more of a Swift feel than a Little Swift feel, but the bag is still very light.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast