Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I do not know about the S19 version (I think @Ilkyway tried it) but it might be the opposite - too small.
    Has anyone actually put the S19 frame into a SA? I have high hopes for the S19 frame because although the SA is noticeably taller than the S19, I measured the distance from the cache loops to the bottom of the bags, and I think there isn't much difference between the SA and S19 here. My frame isn't arriving until next week, though.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tpnl and @Fluff I have not yet done that. Once my order arrives I can try it out IF mine arrives before yours does that is ;-)

Ilkyway
    ďAnkh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.Ē

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but is the fit from top to bottom of the bag (or from the cache loops to the bottom) the only criteria to consider? Iíve not seen either of the back panels yet so perhaps someone who has could say if they fit the whole back panel area or just a strip in the middle. My concern is that even if an S19 frame fits the SA vertically, if it doesnít fit horizontally (ie. cover most of the back panel) itís not going to work well for load transference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the horizontal fit will not be as good in any other backpack except the Synapse series (ie it may migrate out of position a bit in other backpacks). However, it is wide enough to provide good support in any backpack.

However, what works in any backpack and is the main benefit of the internal frame is the fixed curve that the metal strip creates. This curve makes the back of the backpack better conform to your back - making the weight / centre of gravity be closer to your body and therefore easier and more stable to carry. This will still occur in any backpack you put the internal frame in. The key is to bend the internal frame metal strip beforehand to best conform to the curvature of your back (and also making that internal frame tailored to you only). Note that the internal frame is already pre-bend at the TB factory to what is generally good for most people.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I also wished the internal frame worked with the SA. I have only the S25 version and, attached to the Gatekeeper Rail loops, it is maybe 1/2" taller than the back length of the SA. I would say, in a pinch, it would work but it would bend / compress / crease the bottom padding over time in addition to reducing the usable volume a bit.

I do not know about the S19 version (I think @Ilkyway tried it) but it might be the opposite - too small.

Hope this helps.
    I agree with @tpnl's comment about the S25 frame being too tall for the Smart Alec for a good fit. When you rest the bottom of the frame at the bottom back edge of the Smart Alec, the finished edge of the frame, which sits above the connector for the rail loops, sits just below the zipper teeth of the top opening. And the bottom edge of the Smart Alec really doesn't allow the extra length. You'd have to curve the frame sheet a lot to fit it into the SA back.

The S19 frame stops about 2" from the bottom of the Smart Alec, but it's also not as wide. And both sizes of Synapses have the contoured form as opposed to the wider flat back of the SA (something like the slight hourglass back of the Aeronaut in contrast to the rectangle of the Tri-Star and Western Flyer). So I don't know how well that frame would work in practice. (I should also say, that I still tend to use the Brain Cell in the Smart Alec when I carry a laptop -- my old Size 4X, which was for the slimmer older 15" MacBook Pro seems to work for a variety of models, including the older 13" Retina MacBook Pro, although I invested in additional Brain Cells for the newer 13" And 15" rMBP, too; the 4X goes the full length that would be handled by a frame).

Will try to upload some pics later, but I haven't had time to repack and carry different load ups .

HTH

moriond

ETA: Pictures showing the S25 and S19 frames in the Smart Alec

Guides Edition Synapse 25 and its two siblings-img_3540-jpg
    Synapse 25 frame inside a Black Halcyon/Island Smart Alec. The bottom of the frame has been pushed against the back, bottom end of the Smart Alec. The top edge of the frame sits just below the zipper teeth of the Smart Alec. The points at which the frame attaches to the webbing loop sit below the Coyote trim, although the black plastic is not so easy to see against the black backing of the frame. (That attachment section has been pushed down so that you can see where the top of the frame sits with respect to the zipper opening. Normally, it would be pulled up, as in the last picture showing the Synapse 19 frame attached to the Smart Alec, and hanging down as far as it can go.) I've left the Black Annex Clips (used to hook to a Brain Cell) attached on either side of the S25 frame as another visual reference comparison point for the final picture with the S19 frame.

Guides Edition Synapse 25 and its two siblings-img_3539-jpg
    Close up shot of the Synapse 25 frame inside the Smart Alec (again, with the bottom of the frame pushed to the bottom of the bag). You would either need to warp the frame (e.g., curve it a lot), or push it into the flat part of the base of the Smart Alec to make it fit inside.

Guides Edition Synapse 25 and its two siblings-img_3538-jpg
    Here's the Synapse 19 frame mounted into the same Black Halcyon/Island Smart Alec. In contrast to the two earlier pictures, the part that connects to the webbing rail loops at the top of the bag has been pulled out at maximum extension, so that the bottom of the frame hangs as far down the back of the bag as possilbe. There is still nearly 2" of space between the bottom end of the S19 frame and the bottom edge of the Smart Alec (where I placed the bottom of the S25 frame in the two earlier pictures). You can also see that the S19 frame is narrower than the S25 frame, although neither of these frames matches the rectangular back shape of the Smart Alec. Using the positions of the Black Annex Clips mounted to either side of the frame also helps judge comparisons with the S25 frame mounted in the Smart Alec.

In designs like the Hero's Journey, which was designed to use a frame from the start, and where the frame mounting is sewn into the back of the backpack, the frame support fits the rectangular width of the bag.

Just for contrast, @ilkyway's picture and discussion in the Synapse internal frame inside Smart Alec? thread showed the difference in height of the Smart Alec and Synapse 25 by lining the bottoms of those bags up and showing the difference in the length of the backpack straps at the top. The current post shows the two Synapse frames positioned inside the Smart Alec.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-29-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, I see that as of about an hour ago the Deep Blue Guide's Edition Synapse 25 has sold out in the current batch. (A few hours earlier it was down to one bag). Hope that this "limited edition" production is not too limited.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just noted that a few (3) Deep Blue Guide's Edition Synapse 26s have showed up in stock again on the product page.(These could have been a few extra from a production batch added to the inventory, since I don't think there's really been time for anyone to return their purchases).

Also, I thought I would add the pictures I posted to the TB Anticipation Syndrome thread of the Guide's Edition rigged to carry a Tripod Quiver using the central lash points at the front of the bag. This is something that I can't do with the original design Synapse 25, so I'd have to carry the large (20") Tripod Quiver shown in the pictures below bandolier style (cross-body using either an Absolute Strap or Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap to sling this diagonally across one shoulder), as I described in the earlier Tripod - Lighting kit quiver in Synapse 25? thread.

OK, the GE S25 arrived for me just a couple of days before the debut, so I'm not anticipating, but to help others like @calel and @bartleby along, I'll upload some pictures. I wanted to see how the extra lash patches could work to help me carry an instrument roll in a Tripod Quiver, so I quickly shot this sequence:

Here's the instument roll and the empty large size Tripod Quiver, respectively lying beside and on top of the Deep Blue GE S25

The instrument roll has been placed inside the Tripod Quiver, and I've used a couple of 1" Annex Clips to attach it to the accessory strap holder and bottom loop. (The open Coyote Annex Clip hooked into the top access point is from my Guide's Pack Lead's Pocket). The closed clip hooks onto the webbing loops on the back of the Quiver.

Here's the attached quiver rolled into place. It actually carries nicely. I had to shoot these on the ground, and not in the best lighting conditions, the weekend the bag arrived.

I really love the Deep Blue and Coyote color combination, and the double zippered bottom front pocket. Technically, at just under 5' 4", I'm under the optimal height that this bag is designed for, but it feels pretty comfortable, especially with the frame in place. I haven't tried to make a lot of adjustments to this yet.
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please make a frame for SA. Please add load lifters for all bags. Please have lash points for all bags. E,g. I always travel with Thermarest Z Lite Sol. Finally Guide version allows me to lash it wo modding the bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t resist and ordered a Guide’s Pack edition of the S25. I just really dig that style. I own a regular Guide’s Pack but hardly use it - it really is almost just an art piece in my office at this point. So I think I’ll get more use out of the S25.

I’m curious as to what, if any TB bags, pouches, and/or accessories that will be able to be attached to the loops on the bottom of the bag. I’ve been resisting temptations, as I’ve left the bag in the box (after a brief inspection), and plan on it being a Christmas present to myself from my Wife(she doesn’t know that yet ;-)).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That S19 is absolutely gorgeous. What is that, island? Are they still making it from time to time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2