Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    I'm very disappointed to realize that it's Sunday and the Bike Friday store in Eugene, Oregon is closed. I was looking forward to test driving a folding bike for the first time. The mistake is entirely mine, as I did not realize that it would be Sunday when we were passing through Eugene. It's the nature of a road trip and I know it requires flexibility, but I'm still disappointed.

Your lovely photos are cheering me up. Thank you! elisa
    Sorry to go off topic but does this mean you've visited the TB factory already? I am sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear about it! Maybe in the photos thread or your other post asking about directions?

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself have two Bromptons (one brought from London commuting -- purchased in about 2003!) and one I bought used last year so that both my husband and I could take bikes on the train in Sweden where they don't allow bikes on the train... Anyway I absolutely *hate* the expensive Ortleib pannier that came with my used Brompton. It has a reverse TARDIS effect and is much smaller inside than you can possibly believe. It's a huge bag that will barely take my laptop and my lunch... I fantasise about swapping it out, I really do. My other bag is a very very old Brompton bag, much faded, which is much more usable than the Ortleib but again.... could do with repurposing. So if I ever were to get a copilot or pilot, I know what I'd being doing with it...

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, @ejvc! That is awesome that you have had one since 2003 and a great testimonial to a good product. It is good to know about the Ortlieb too. It looks like there may also be some aftermarket front racks that clip into the front bracket that make it possible to use almost any bag.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brompton now sells those clip-on racks, so you can easily buy a Pilot or Co-Pilot or another bag with the "slipover luggage" sleeve and use it. I think if I were to buy a Brompton bag now I'd buy the big open-top shopping basket, it's easy to put a waterproof bag in it and the thing is capacious!

We are a car-free family so our bikes are near and dear to our hearts... My Bromptons are both rugged! I have managed to dent the seat pole on one and need to get it replaced (I was testing a child seat that didn't work out) and I also need a new rack stay riveted on (I may have overloaded the rack slightly once or twice ahem...); I'm just about to put a rack on the other one as well. But overall I recommend them without hesitation if you don't mind looking like you are riding a clown bike all the time. I have also attached many things without having any issue with the fold -- I have a hitch for a Burleigh Travoy trailer on mine now (on the seat post) and I have had a Thule trailer hitched to the back axle nut without problem (that trailer hitch is currently on my husband's bike). Plus lights, water bottle carrier, etc. I also used to have a Hamax child seat hitch bolted on which meant I couldn't lower the seat post the whole way but it worked very well.

We went on a cycle holiday with ours last year! My little boy is in the trailer, that's my husband fastening it. I rode Pinky, he rode Blooey. I have the camp, he has the food, our clothes are in the front bags. I made cycling caps for all of us! We had an absolute blast, about 40km per day visiting all the beaches in southern Sweden (of which there are many more than I thought!), eating ice cream and swimming multiple times a day.
    ID bag modified to fit a Brompton-img_2432-jpg

Now they have developed electric Bromptons as well, that would be great if you live in a hilly city! They are really brilliant for city communing, frankly out here in a town I can have a big bike outside without constantly worrying it will be stolen, but in London bike thieving is practically a way of life so it was simply more practical to have one that I kept inside, and then when I commuted to Leicester from London I took it on the train with me. A nice bag that you can easily remove and isn't too heavy to carry (a problem with both my Brompton bags) is a great addition to the bike.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ejvc, that is a fantastic photo! Thank you also for opening my eyes to even more possibilities for making the Bromptons even more versatile. I didn't even realize you could hitch trailers to them. That sounds like a wonderful cycle holiday too. I opted for the -12% gearing on mine since Seattle has some fairly hilly sections, since the electric Bromptons look a bit pricey, and I can't wait to test it out more. Honestly, it was a little overwhelming deciding all of the options from committing to a handlebar style to seat type, etc. Thank goodness for a nice and patient bike shop, as I went back and forth between the M style and S style bars several times before settling on the S - I am not that tall. At least the folding and unfolding feels more natural after practicing a few times. Thank you for being an inspiration! I look forward to continuing to break mine in as well as trying out various TB bags on the front.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Brompton advertise the trailer part but in my opinion if you live car-free and don't live in a city you need a trailer. In London the cycling was often cramped and there I chose to use a child seat for child transport (back when I only had to transport one child) and we walked to the local grocery store with one of the old-lady grocery baskets on wheels, and the whole city was pretty easily accessible with frequent buses and tubes (though -- they were expensive). Now we are in a town we have to go further for groceries and the streets are not as packed with traffic, so trailers are really helpful. I think the best trailers for Bromptons are rear axle-mounted ones.

I like the look of the Carry Freedom brand small "Y" trailer, it has the same sized wheels as a brompton (and you can modify it to carry long stuff like kayaks, which... is cool if you kayak a lot?). But really the two trailers we have are enough for us so far, and the Travoy is kind of amazing with its fold-out handle, just perfect for farmers markets and such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2