Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Business Traveler Review of Western Flyer

Long time reader here... just started a blog for 2018 as a way to document more things, and decided to do a small write-up of the Western Flyer.

https://www.janeshumans.com/home/tom...n-flyer-review

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review. I agree that the Western Flyer is the perfect business travel bag.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @humaneone and thanks for sharing the link to your review.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts about traveling and about Jane (everyone, check out this post: On Adopting Jane)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review! Glad to see that you love your WF. I have and love two WFs, as well as two sighthounds - one Whippet and one Italian Greyhound (stair steps down from your Grey)! I’ll keep checking back to hear more about your Jane - and PM me her Instagram handle so my pups can follow her. Oh, and please post more about your WF and any more Tom Bihn bag adventures you have going forward!

NoVA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you travel with a suit jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Forum Member
    London
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi Everyone

Hopefully my experience of the Western Flyer helps someone on here, particularly those stuck considering in the western flyer or tristar vortex. For context:

My EDC is a Smart Alec. Absolutely adore that bag. It's so versatile. Weekdays the following goes in: Work laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon), travel tray filled with electronic accessories including adaptor, skype headphones, UE Roll2, various cables etc, platypus meta in the side pocket, 2x phones, bose QC 25s, A5 notepad and pen, kindle paperwhite - with lots of room to spare. Weekends - anything goes in that cavern! (discontinuing it = madness, but I digress).

On average once a month I travel for work for say 3 days - could be long or short haul. I've tried this with the SA but it's very marginal on space - I can do it with the clothes in a large packing cube, but if I want to add the trainers for a run then it's too much. For reference my standard load out for a business trip is:

Workday stuff as above
    Rab Generator Vest folded into it's own pocket for warmth
    Spare clothes: 2x work shirts, 2x underwear, 1x tshirt, 1x workout shorts, 1x suit jacket all in a packing cube
    Running shoes - New Balance UK size 9.5 - if anyone knows of running shoes with proper pronation support but fold-down uppers I will buy in an instant!
    3D organizer clear for toiletries

So I pack relatively light. Typically I would pack all this into my Tumi International Carry On and brave the scrum for the overheads. Recently I've got a Western Flyer in Black Halcyon with Blue innards. My thoughts after a couple of trips are:

a) It all fits. Although it's the same theoretical capacity as the Smart Alec, the Western Flyer more effectively swallows this type of load. With the clothes in a Packing Cube Backpack in the main rear section (without divider). Laptop in the same section. Running shoes in a packing cube in one half of the divided section, and all the rest in the other half. But it's pretty tight. I do wonder about putting clothes and running shoes all in the main section, with the divider removed and laptop and everything else in the other section. Will try that next time.

b) I'm a backpack guy. I've never got on with shoulder straps and with any weight the uneven load can't be good for the back. With this loadout the Western Flyer works for walking between offices and transport.

c) That said - I think I'm at the limit of the maximum weight I would put into a backpack without a serious hip belt and solid internal structure. I can't imagine myself with a fully packed tristar or least of all an Aeronaut on my back for very long. Everyone's experience will vary on this. I may be only 5ft6 but I'm reasonably well built (a former rugby forward). Built like a stocky sailor!

d) Once fully packed the water bottle doesn't really fit in the front pocket. I do wonder if the pocket could be better moved to one end of the bag, stowed but zipout when needed? Looking at the construction I can't see how that could be done without fouling the main zippers but that's the design challenge.

As I pack light anyway and could travel in perpetuity with this stuff, the Western Flyer could be the ultimate bag for me.
    Last edited by smudge; 05-07-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good review. I agree about the bottle holder section. I’ve written in my own review of the bag that I wish the bag had “outward pockets” like the pilot has for example. I like the bag myself. Perfect for a few days away for me.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Once fully packed the water bottle doesn't really fit in the front pocket.
    The only water bottle I have had luck with is the Vapur 0.5L collapsible bottle, it flattens enough when partially full to fit.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    The only water bottle I have had luck with is the Vapur 0.5L collapsible bottle, it flattens enough when partially full to fit.
    I have had good luck with the camelbak 600ml chute. Fits in on a bit of an angle and when the bag is quite full as long as the left half middle pocket has something squishy like clothes in it.

Lincolnshire (UK)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Once fully packed the water bottle doesn't really fit in the front pocket.
    Not sure about the size of the Western Flyer front pocket, but this (flat) Nalgene flask fits into the same pocket of the TriStar even when packed full.

https://www.nalgene.com/bottles/flask/

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    I have had good luck with the camelbak 600ml chute. Fits in on a bit of an angle and when the bag is quite full as long as the left half middle pocket has something squishy like clothes in it.

I used to carry the 1L Platypus; but from the perspective of of smudge being a backpack person, the Vapur was the only bottle I could get in and zipped up while fully packed. I do use the pocket daily to hold my coffee while I open a door, clip my work badge to the dyneema, or carry a Nalgene bottle once and a while. It really is useful in loose-pack briefcase mode.