Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Saturday the updated pouch in NWS arrived. It is a great update if you carry multiple passports, as others have already said, so here are some impressions and thoughts.

First of all, a size comparison with my regular sized pouch in Steel:

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034907_web-jpg

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034911_web-jpg

The larger size makes it of course much easier to carry several passports. I tried it with a mix of US and European passports. The new version of the passport pouch allows me to carry 4 passports, but it was a little difficult to slide them in and out. Three passports fit without any issues and can be accessed (more) easily.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034908_web-jpg

Of course, to minimize the size, I inserted them in alternating directions:

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034910_web-jpg

As far as constructive criticism and suggestions, I need to mention that I preferred the old interior. The new pouch is much more of a "black hole" compared to the old version, which has a silvery interior.

New:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034906_web-jpg

Old:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180209_0034904_web-jpg

If I would use the passport pouch for passports only, the interior would not bother me, however, I tend to also slip an extra credit card in my pouch. Therefore, I really like how visible the contents in the old pouch are. Speaking of cards, and maybe as a suggestion for discussion, I would love to see a shallow card pocket on the inside, just large enough to hold 1-2 credit cards. I think that would be a great addition and add utility. Overall though I really like the new size. Thanks for letting me test it!
    Last edited by Artdime; 02-11-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Passport Pouch prototype still block RFID reading?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Does the Passport Pouch prototype still block RFID reading?
    I would hope so! The inside of the new pouch is not just fabric, but it has a structure similar to the old version of the pouch. It is harder to see since it is all black. I believe that this is the blocking layer, but I would ask customer service to confirm.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we going to have an option to get either size. If I am just taking my passport it would see the original is the better choice as I have a 28 page passport with no cover. However if I wanted to carry my parents passports as well then I would need the bigger one. I just don't know if the larger one is too big for a single passport. Thoughts? As I see most use it for multiple.
    Owner of -
    Aubergine 1050 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon - Smart Alec
    Black 1050 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon - Pilot
    Mars Red 525 Ballistic - Cubelet
    Small Island 200 Halcyon - Snake Charmer
    Ultraviolet - Standard - 200 Halcyon - Passport Pouch
    Aubergine - 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon - Synapse 25
    and various other pouches, packs, keystraps, and pocket pillows.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    Are we going to have an option to get either size. If I am just taking my passport it would see the original is the better choice as I have a 28 page passport with no cover. However if I wanted to carry my parents passports as well then I would need the bigger one. I just don't know if the larger one is too big for a single passport. Thoughts? As I see most use it for multiple.
    My guess is that you'll only have the option to buy the current size Passport Pouch while current stock remains, if they switch over to the new design as the new standard. That's what happened with other redesigned products, like the larger citizen canine.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    My guess is that you'll only have the option to buy the current size Passport Pouch while current stock remains, if they switch over to the new design as the new standard. That's what happened with other redesigned products, like the larger citizen canine.
    I appreciate the comment. At this point I will hold off until I get some opinions on the current vs the new when using a single passport.
    Owner of -

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    The difference is not that substantial, so I think that even the larger one would work for a single passport. Plus it would give you the room for your parent's passports if needed.
    Here are some comparison photos:

Old version:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180212_104426_old_web-jpg

New version:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180212_104449new_web-jpg

Hope that helps!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artdime View Post
    The difference is not that substantial, so I think that even the larger one would work for a single passport. Plus it would give you the room for your parent's passports if needed.
    Here are some comparison photos:

Old version:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180212_104426_old_web-jpg

New version:
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180212_104449new_web-jpg

Hope that helps!
    Thank you those pictures do help show the difference and help me decide. I appreciate the opportunity to compare the two. I was just worried that the larger one would be too big but it doesnt appear to be teh case.
    Owner of -

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I received the passport pouch prototype, and I would like to share my impressions with you.

In my family, I am the keeper of the passports when traveling together. My zest pouch is 6 ¼” by 4 7/8.” In the past, I have had three US passports in the pouch and it was a tight fit. The prototype pouch is 6 ¾” by 5 ¼”. However, with the new pouch, four passports easily slip in and out, a big bonus. Fyi, I do not use the neck strap, instead opting to use a 16” key strap to tether the pouch into another bag.

To me the prototype seems stiffer and thicker. In looking at the lining, it looks to be carbon aether, but I can’t be sure since I do not have any aether to compare it to. It has a checked pattern similar to aether. The zest pouch is softer and thinner, maybe due to the foil lining.

The first couple of pictures are comparison shots of the current passport pouch versus the prototype.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-passport-2-2-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-passport-1-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-4-passports-jpg

I was curious as to how the prototype would fit into the bags I currently use for travel. Inside the main compartment of the Side Effect, the pouch fits fine, but it will not fit in the outside pocket of the SE. I love my Side Effects, and for international travel, I use them within larger bag.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-se1-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-se2-jpg

The new prototype fits very nicely in the Side Kick, either standing up or laying down, in both the main compartment and also the outside pocket.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-sk1-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-sk2-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-sk3-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-sk4-jpg

Here are pictures of the new passport pouch in the front pocket of a small café bag, the inside pocket of the Makers Bag, and the outer open pocket of the Pop Tote, all tethered by a key strap.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-scb-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-makers-bag-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-pop-tote-jpg

Some have commented that they like to store some credit cards along with their passport. I used four gift cards to replicate credit cards in a pocket pouch. It fits quite nicely alongside two passports. I attached the snap hook to the O-ring of the passport pouch so that it would make access easier. The Velcro closes up well around the snap hook, keeping everything secure.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-img_0064-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-img_0065-jpg

I really like this size pouch for multiple passports or if I wanted to use it to carry additional credit cards or cash. However, if I am traveling alone, then I would opt for my zest pouch. I do prefer the softer, more pliable pouch. My feeling is there is a market for both sizes in the TB world. Thank you, Darcy and the TB Crew, for the opportunity test this very handy new pouch.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch

Mine arrived in the U.K. this morning!

TL;DR: it is a great pouch for families and can securely carry four passports.

Long version:

I generally carry mine and the kids' passports, and we each have two. This is how I normally have them, in individual RFID sleeves, and then they get shoved in a large LL Bean Travel wallet. It's a huge hassle to keep track of them since we need all of them to travel between the US and U.K.

(ETA: they're labeled on the other side)

I was delighted to find out that I can put 6 passports in the pouch, though if I were doing this I would put a single 1" gatekeeper through the loops since the Velcro doesn't completely close with 5 or 6 passports in it.

Here are six passports without cases:

The Velcro doesn't close all the way:

What I am more likely to do is get a second passport pouch and have them color coded for which nationality we are traveling on. Of course, most families will only need one, as even four passports can securely fit in (one of these has extra pages):

I will likely clip it in the front of my Side Kick, where I like to keep tickety stuff:

Thank you very much @darcy for soliciting our feedback, I love the pouch and can't wait to order a second (and a pocket pouch, thanks @pammy for the idea and the great photos of where the PP fits).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2