Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch

First, I want to apologize for the VERY bad photos. I had a very long day, but I wanted to get this feedback out right away.

UPS delivered nice goodies today:

Attachment 19841

I am very impressed that @Darcy remembered the pocket pillow!

Last year, Darcy offered to send me one to use/ review during my trip to Japan. I said yes. Life got hectic for the both of us, I neglected to follow up - I left for my trip without the pocket pillow. I will use this one this in July (Florence - London) - will provide feedback.

On to the Updated passport Pouch:
    The one I received is made of NWS halcyon - I love NWS and I am a halcyon woman. NWS is the color I would pick if I bought this item.

It is indeed larger than my current Iberian pouch. The inside lining is gray - my Iberian's lining is silver.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184551-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184959-jpg

My COW does not go inside my Iberian pouch. I put mini OP in the NWS pouch - it fits but the clip sticks out. The COW and the Mini OP have the same number of store cards (7) inside. My passport (no cover) and mini OP fit inside the NWS pouch. My passport has 28 pages only.

My Allet wallet does not fit in the Iberian pouch; it goes inside the NWS pouch but it sticks out about one-third into the Velcro closure, so the pouch does not stay closed.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184251-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184330-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184358-jpg
    Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-20180208_184418-jpg

Initial impression: The larger size is definitely easier to use. This is coming from a person with one regular passport, no cover on it.

What I use the passport pouch for:
    I use it as a "deep pocket" to carry my passport, cash, 2 backup credit/debit cards and my medical/ emergency contact information. With folded bills and the credit cards pooling at the bottom, inserting my passport in the older version required some care. I did not mind so much since I only did this when I needed to put my passport away.

Additional impression: I am disappointed that my Allett wallet does not fit inside the NWS passport pouch. This may not be a bad thing - leave the Allett wallet behind - one less thing to carry.

Conclusion: For my purpose, the updated version of the passport pouch will work well. I know it will because the older version did - it was just a bit too small at times.

Thank you so much to the TB crew for sending me this passport pouch (and the pocket pillow) to test. I will provide updated feedback after I had a chance to use them for real.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!
    I am looking forward to finding out more about this item.
    I will be doing a trip that involves two passports (the older, expired one has a still-valid visa for the country I'm going to). I have been using a thin, form-fitting wallet for my passport. If that fits into this pouch it will be an extra level of security against absent-mindedness on a long series of flights with multiple layovers.
    ---
    Also glad to hear the foil interior is gone. I wonder if it's still there between the inner and outer layer of material? I understand the reasoning behind shielding the RFID chip in the passport, but at the same time, the foil prevents my Tile from being read. So I'd rather not have the foil layer at all.

This wouldn't kill the deal for me though. I've never developed a great system for carrying my passport, so I'm sure I'll test out any new, larger pouch that is released.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks pretty much perfect for my use. I use the passport pouch a lot on my trips, its just convienent and I like having my more important thinks like passport and credit cards and ID somewhere they are not easily stolen. That said the passport pouch with the silver lining had a couple of problems in my use.

1. The size was just slightly too small sometimes, it is perfect for a passport and maybe some cash or a card or two, but I liked to put my small ID wallet in there, which sadly it did not fit, here is the wallet I use, its pretty small, but I wasn't totally shocked it did not fit the original passport well. A slightly larger pouch will be pretty much perfect for my use.

2. That silver lining, which I assume(d) was for the RFID blocking, started to flake off. TB swapped me out immediately, but I have a much more confident feeling the new interior lining will hold up stronger.

Thank you for the update, I had missed this change to the pouch.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some additional pics comparing the larger PP with my original Steel one. Overall it is great at handling my family's 3 passports (one with extra pages) - I can put in and take out passports much more quickly and easily. The way the pouch is constructed though, I feel like the "border" of material along the sides is more noticeable and makes the pouch feel bigger (which of course it is, duh..) than if it had gussets or something. I'm not positive the pouch would handle any more passports, for instance, though that's probably to be expected.

Can't wait to use it on our next international trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me if I missed something (need more coffee...), but is this updated design what's available now, or is it coming later?
    Eat well, travel often.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Forgive me if I missed something (need more coffee...), but is this updated design what's available now, or is it coming later?
    Hi @nukediver,

I think these are all the samples that Darcy sent them for testing, based on the recent discussion @Walker started about the passport pouch dimensions having gotten larger on the web page:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We've made a sample and are thinking the previously stated dimensions on the website of 6.5" tall by 5.25" are pretty much perfect (about .25" / 6mm taller and wider than the current size.) We don't want to make a Passport Pouch that's too big because it'd be a little awkward to carry/wear, but we too find the current size to be less than optimal for fitting multiple passports, passports with many pages, or passports with plastic protective covers.

We're going to make a few more samples next week of the 6.5" tall by 5.25" RFID Passport Pouch and send 'em to you guys (you guys = @Walker @Artdime @Carolina @pammy @Cristina @habanero and we've only cut enough for you, so we can't make more for anyone else -- sorry!) for testing. That is, if you'd be up for testing them for us, and if you are, email your current mailing address to: feedback@tombihn.com (along with your Forum handle).
    HTH, quote is excerpted from Darcy's reply at the beginning of February in that other thread.

moriond

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @nukediver,

I think these are all the samples that Darcy sent them for testing, based on the recent discussion @Walker started about the passport pouch dimensions having gotten larger on the web page:

HTH, quote is excerpted from Darcy's reply at the beginning of February in that other thread.

moriond
    Ah perfect, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Does the top have a button snap or zipper? I'm worried my passport or other documents might slide out accidentally. I wouldn't want to lose a credit card being stored in there. Or are things snug enough that this isn't a problem?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancingphysicist View Post
    Looks great! Does the top have a button snap or zipper? I'm worried my passport or other documents might slide out accidentally. I wouldn't want to lose a credit card being stored in there. Or are things snug enough that this isn't a problem?
    If it's like the design of the original passport pouch (but without the silver lining on the interior), at the top of the inside there is a band of Velcro to secure the closing of the passport pouch.

Those testers who have Travel Cubelets, can you comment on how the new vs old Passport Pouch fits inside? For example, I could just fit the older PP into the Carbon Aether pocket inside the Travel Cubelet. Can you fit more passports into the new PP than you could put directly into that inside pocket? How is the fit if you drop the new PP into the Travel Cubelet?

Here are a few reference pictures from my post (#47) in the Travel Cubelet thread that show Passports relative to the outer pocket and inner pocket

(inner pocket is holding a pink moleskine Cahier, but could fit that Rhodia pad below it, or could alternately fit the Passport inside the Passport Pouch) Note that there is a pen slot to the right of the inside pocket. I could maybe fit 3 passports into that inside pocket directly. (My current Passport has extra pages, and is thickerthan usual, so I can't easily judge how three normal thickness passports fit there.)

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, the photos are very helpful!!

the "border" of material along the sides is more noticeable and makes the pouch feel bigger (which of course it is, duh..) than if it had gussets or something.
    I wonder if gussets or a three-part construction like the front of the Synapse would allow the PP to expand more gracefully. Does it feel like you could get a fourth passport in there, or would it be an unpleasant squeeze? (We have four in our family.) Would the pouch hold four passports and boarding passes?

Love that TB is open to updating its designs.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh I can't wait until mine arrives and I can see how mine fit in! I am guessing I can get three in but I will see if I can fit four, @haraya, if no one else is able to before then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Those testers who have Travel Cubelets, can you comment on how the new vs old Passport Pouch fits inside? For example, I could just fit the older PP into the Carbon Aether pocket inside the Travel Cubelet. Can you fit more passports into the new PP than you could put directly into that inside pocket? How is the fit if you drop the new PP into the Travel Cubelet?
    I will be happy to post pictures when I receive the passport pouch prototype. Darcy was shipping it out either Tuesday or Wednesday and I have yet to receive it. I am hoping to get it Monday or Tuesday. I too am curious how it will fit in other bags.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, this updated pouch is the pouch sent out for testing as a result of the thread referenced by @Moriond. To answer the queries regarding size and how the PP fits in a Travel cubelet:

Size:
    The PP is as wide as my Last of the Summer Wine Vintage 1976 DVD case (plain case that flips out to open, not the ones with the bit on the right side that flips out to open), about 2.5 cm shorter.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp002-jpgUpdated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp003-jpg

I laid my PP on top of the plain side of the Travel Cubelet, with the bottom and the left edges flush to the seams of the PP. The TC is a smidge under 0.5 cm wider and about 1 cm taller. The TC would appear larger because the side panels spread out.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp001-jpg

Fit in the TC:
    1) It fits in the main compartment.
    2) It does NOT fit in the inside slot pocket – my original Iberian PP does not fit in this pocket either.
    3) It does not fit in the outside slanted pocket - I jammed mine into the slanted pocket. My PP is not full. I doubt you can do this with a full PP.

I put the main compartment of my TC:
    1) PP loaded with burgundy wallet with 5 cards (driver’s license, health insurance card, 3 debit/ credit cards and 6 US bills) and my passport (28 pages).
    2) DVD case – this sticks out
    3) Hobonichi English Planner
    4) Original PP (Iberian) inside the main compartment; then tried it in the slanted outside pocket.

Aside from the DVD case, the above fit inside the TC comfortably, I can add more flat items.

Then I took out the DVD case and put my prescription sunglasses and eyeglasses in their cases. They fit, but snug.

Updated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp004-jpgUpdated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp005-jpgUpdated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp006-jpgUpdated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp007-jpgUpdated (2018) Passport Pouch-pp009-jpg

On the suggestions for gusset or 3-part construction – I thought along these lines as well.

As I mentioned on my OP, I was disappointed that my Allett wallet does not fit. The Allett Wallet already has RFID, so I do not need the RFID feature of the PP. I wish that the Travel Cubelet came in a FLAT but gussetted version – keep all the other dimensions the same. The zipper will probably need to be replaced with Velcro. The TC is too thick to wear under my clothes (I tried).

The piping of the current PP design adds girth. I would not mind simple fold sewing – if it can be done. I imagine there is a reason for the piping.

Finally, I would not mind an open pocket on the outside either. There were a few times when I wore my PP hanging around my neck through the airport. While I appreciated the security provided by the Velcro closure, there were times when I preferred my PP to stay open. I kept a piece of paper that is longer than my PP (or my boarding pass) to keep the Velco from securing it closed all the time. So an open top outside pocket would be a nice additional feature.

Again, thanks to the TB Crew for my beautiful NWS PP. Much appreciated.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a bit confused. The dimensions on the website fit this new PP? Not the one that’s been sold?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I’m a bit confused. The dimensions on the website fit this new PP? Not the one that’s been sold?
    Hi @Traveltech,

I realize that you probably didn't read the original thread started by @Walker, Passport pouch got larger?, and since I was replying the first time from a mobile device through TapaTalk, and that would require me to do multiple cuts and pastes + edits to give additional links, I only included the relevant quote from Darcy about these being test samples. (You can always click or tap on the arrow to the right of the "Originally posted by Darcy" label that precedes the actual quote to be taken directly to that thread and read the full content).

But, to summarize here, earlier in that thread @Walker asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    The dimensions on the product description are 6.5" tall by 5.25" wide.

I measured my pouch: 6-3/8" tall x 4-7/8" wide. I took photos showing the measurement, but unable to attach (doing this on my phone).
    and Darcy replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention @Walker

We re-measured the RFID Passport Pouch and came up with dimensions quite similar to yours: 6.3" x 5.0" / 160 x 125 mm

This is indeed smaller than what the website listed. We're investigating this further... stay tuned, as I hope to post another update by the end of this week. In the meantime, I have updated the listed dimensions on the RFID Passport Page and have added this to its description:

The RFID Passport Pouch best fits one passport. Some folks have plastic protective covers on their passports; they will find that the RFID Passport Pouch is a tight fit for their passports. An updated and slightly larger RFID Passport Pouch that will fit multiple passports, passports with many pages, or passports with plastic protective covers is in the works; we expect it to be available for order by late February 2018.

She then went on to state that they were bringing out a new, larger version of the Passport Pouch, and that people who had commented in that thread about wanting to have the larger size would be sent test versions to try out.

In brief, the dimensions currently on the web site for the Passport Pouch product page are not accurate (assuming they haven't changed these again); that's what prompted @Walker's original query. People who have read the earlier thread are responding based on the dimension information discussed there.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast