Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letís Talk About The Field Journal

Hereís my first thought as I opened the box:

HOLY CANNOLI!! Why on EARTH (ok, I used much more colorful language than this, but you get the drift) did I wait so long to purchase one of these?!?!?

Second thought: This is my first experience handling TB Cordura fabric, and I LOVE its nubbiness and depth. But I can see why TB made the decision to switch to Halcyon and Ballistic for its larger bags. (Itís only been out of the box for 10 minutes ó itís a bit of a lint beacon!) But Iím finding that I donít mind at all!!

(pictured next to my new Grass Travel Cubelet for scale)

The design and thought that went into the design are aces. Seriously top notch. And I love that my iPhone 6 (with case!) fits in the phone pocket.

I have more pen pockets than I have pens at the moment, so until that changes I have plenty of space to carry around a Tide to go pen, a tiny pen-sized multi-screwdriver, and a cuticle oil pen (to help keep winter dryness at bay). And my pencil sharpener and earbuds have a home in the bottom pocket of the Pen/Pencil Insert. Oh, and since my one Blackwing pencil is still too long to occupy a pen pocket, it shall live slotted in the binder rings.

I donít know if this is something that I will wind up using every day or not, but I know I will be using it for years to come. I do kind of wish I had sprung for some of the Cranes paper, but I am excited at the thought of being able to become even more of a stationary nerd than I already am, and shopping for the best quality paper for me.

The FJ will definitely be a lifer in my house.

Final thoughts: Though I completely understand TBís decision to discontinue the FJ, my mind immediately wants to transform a new version of this into the ultimate journal cover.

Iím picturing a Field Journal 2.0, where instead of a three-ring binder, thereís a sewn-in slot ó equivalent to the one on the pen side but perhaps without the pen pockets (or with one/two larger flat pockets) ó which would allow you to shimmy in the back cover of your journal or planner, making the FJ even more flexible as a daily tool.

Granted, without the binder clips, you wouldnít have anywhere to attach an Insert, but this could be solved by clipping it into the FJ via a couple of well-placed o-rings. Anyway, Iím dreaming up new designs because I canít imagine the FJ no longer being available for others to experience. Because I am so excited to have and experience mine!!!

In short, the FJ and I are in love! (Talk amongst yourselves. Weíll just be over here getting acquainted.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blackbird; 02-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you’re on the right track. i’d love to see the field journal transform into something like a travelers notebook. Slide your journal inside, along with pens, boarding passes, etc.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree about FJN2 without rings but I want A6 size for my Hobonichi.

My daughter has a FJN and I love it, but can't use that size.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love my FJNs. I have two, an azure one that I use every day for work and then a plum one for weekly volunteer activities. Itís too bad the FJN is being retired again but totally understand itís to make way for new designs. But I did have high hopes that at some point it would have been made in the new 525 ballistic. I think it would have been fantastic in that fabric.

Mr. pammy has an olive one. Itís great to use at a conference or work to take notes, and his ipad mini fits inside just dandy. He also carries a mini pouch with some meds, a stray granola bar, and an iphone 8 plus. Just zip it up and go.

If anyone is still on the fence regarding the FJN, get one and try it before they are gone for good. There are endless uses for this practical TB item. There are a lot of threads singing its praises. I especially like the one that @Meglet did on converting her FJN into an ipad mini carrier. Itís a very clever use of the FJN.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ipad-mini.html
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @blackbird and @Traveltech,

Just a few quick comments, because there are additional, and more detailed discussions in other threads, but you might want to take a look at the pictures in my posts in the Hacking the FJN for Levenger Circa, etc. thread. I'm using the Levenger Precious Metals Notebook Belts (Junior size), which they no longer seem to carry, but @blackbird can get one of the regular Levenger Notebook Belts to hold her long pen as an alternative to putting it through the three rings.

If you look at the Benefits of the Field Journal over Midori? thread, you'll see the way the pair of belts (one thin, plain belt that can be used for a bookmark, one thicker, with an attachment for holding a pen or your reading glasses) that make up the Precious Metals Notebook Belt set) are used to hold that Canson Sketch Book in place:

The slim A5 notebook to the left of the Sketch Book is Nock.co's A5 Dot-Dash Notebook, which is shown in other pictures and discussed in more detail earlier in one of the linked threads. (No product page link was given at the time of the original posting because I had access to these as part of a Kickstarter project, and they only later got onto the product page.)

This is entirely working backwards in terms of posts, but you can reference some of the pictures in the Hacking the FJN for Levenger Circa, etc. thread for details. I have more than 1 FJN, so I pulled out the plastic backing for the front of the FJN to use in place of the 3-ring section. (It's not meant for you to do that, but it's easier to put either a cardboard insert or even the 3-ring leaf into the front backing than it is to get an exact match for the back by cutting plastic. There are web companies that will cut plastic your specs -- so you could just order by giving a size, or a couple of forum members have actually had the shape of the 3-ring section traced out and cut. One forum member worked for a signage company where they have the machinery to do the exact cutting.).

Anyway, here are a couple of excerpted pictures that show the plastic parts in question:

At the time I had the Hobonichi Rivet Band Laccio elastic straps to use around the plastic backing, but any flat elastic band will do -- the Levenger Notebook Belt set (Junior Size) is the solution I liked the best.

Also, earlier in the Hacking thread, I show how to adapt the FJN for use with any other strap, such as an Op Tech Mini SOS strap. This can be useful in you're carrying paint sets or heavier contents in the FJN. You only need 2 1" triangle clips from parts and the precut cord pulls to switch to this:

Again, there's lots more discussion in other threads. And take a look at @Meglet's Field Journal Goes Digital with an iPad Mini thread for her usage set-up keeping the rings intact.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Pasting in from one of my replies to Darcy for the Blog info:

Field Journal Notebook hole spacing

While I like this for the discussion about the Avery accessories (particularly the Binder Pockets referenced and shown in post #6), the real indispensible information is the comparison chart from Planner Size Comparison – The Ultimate Guide to Planner Binders - Sarcasm and Sweet Tea that summarizes the hole punch spacing and paper sizes for different planners. This the best and most compact/comprehensive summary I've found to answer the questions of what planner products can easily be used with the FJN.

All of this summarized discussion may be TMI (= too much information), but you'll probably want to mention, at least, the option of making printable inserts on your own paper, with many templates sold on Etsy. The link I gave above for the planner size comparison also also has a link to the web page owner's Printables Shop on Etsy, where you can select A5/Half Letter options.

Sorry, in a rush, so no time to edit down answers
    Last edited by moriond; 02-09-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letís Talk About The Field Journal

@moriond and @pammy thanks so much for your informative responses!! I will definitely check out all the links you shared. Iím not sure yet whether Iíll prefer to use it with the binder clips or not, but Iím sure going to enjoy experimenting!!

And Iím with everyone in terms of figuring out ways to make the FJ as EDC- and travel-friendly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a lot of time last night looking and looking again at the FJN. I have almost bought it so many times! Then I came across a 2010 post by Darcy that said "It's not a notebook cover, it's a notebook" and it hit home that what I really want is a notebook cover. Oh well, maybe one day I'll find one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos and tips - I like the way you kitted yours out. These posts are really helpful for those planning out how to use the FJN.

Am I mistaken or was it at one point produced in Parapack?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Great photos and tips - I like the way you kitted yours out. These posts are really helpful for those planning out how to use the FJN.

Yeah it was, in Steel and Navy (but not Olive and Black I think). Think it was the last batch that was produced before the FJN got discontinued the 1st time.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post

BTW, your message inbox is over-quota!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for letting me know - I'm cleaning it up now.
    Last edited by GoStanford; 02-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I spent a lot of time last night looking and looking again at the FJN. I have almost bought it so many times! Then I came across a 2010 post by Darcy that said "It's not a notebook cover, it's a notebook" and it hit home that what I really want is a notebook cover. Oh well, maybe one day I'll find one!
    ^This. I have a particular notebook I like to use already, so I'd be removing most of the guts and using it strictly as a notebook cover, which I ultimately decided I couldn't justify budget-wise with other bags I own. But man, these pictures remind me how much I still do want one of them. I cannot tell you how many times I added a grey FJN to my cart, removed it, added it, removed it, watched it go out of stock, watched it pop back up again, added it to my cart bought it, removed it from my cart...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since so much about the FJN was built around the notebook part of it, I decided to go with this from the Hobonichi site. It's more expensive and now out of stock (can find on eBay) but I really like everything about it. It does have a simple cover for the notebook which then goes into a pocket. Rest is well organized for a variety of pens/art supplies, etc. Scroll down on the page and you can see the best interior pics and video.

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/...tercustom.html

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    ^This. I have a particular notebook I like to use already, so I'd be removing most of the guts and using it strictly as a notebook cover, which I ultimately decided I couldn't justify budget-wise with other bags I own. But man, these pictures remind me how much I still do want one of them. I cannot tell you how many times I added a grey FJN to my cart, removed it, added it, removed it, watched it go out of stock, watched it pop back up again, added it to my cart bought it, removed it from my cart...
    Part of the joy for me is in trying out different notebooks and having different notebooks for different things. Using the FJN as the primary notebook would be too constraining and take some of the fun out of it for me. And I know I could do a bunch of hacks, etc, but like you say, it's a lot of expense if you remove half of the functionality!

Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    Since so much about the FJN was built around the notebook part of it, I decided to go with this from the Hobonichi site. It's more expensive and now out of stock (can find on eBay) but I really like everything about it. It does have a simple cover for the notebook which then goes into a pocket. Rest is well organized for a variety of pens/art supplies, etc. Scroll down on the page and you can see the best interior pics and video.

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/...tercustom.html
    That video kind of blew my mind a bit. That Rubix Cube just disappeared when the flap was turned over! Either it was a different shot and the RC wasn't actually in it anymore, or that bag is a lot deeper than it appears. I'm going to have to watch it again.

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was really surprised to see tht the FJN has been discontinued--but now I'll have to start saving for the replacement.
    I love my black FJN. I took out the 3-ring plastic binder part, and slipped one side of the cover of a 3-ring A5 notebook into the slot. (It was a paper size I was already using and had a lot of). It tends to be my mobile personal office, where I can keep letters and bills separate from the work office (which is usually the entire rest of the bag i am carrying).
    What will replace the FJN?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast