Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off on an adventure with the Hero's Journey, I think!

My flight takes off in less than an hour, and I'm in the Lyft, 6 minutes from the airport. This is my fault for working into the afternoon. The driver, bless his soul, is driving fast to get me there as quickly as he can!

I am excited to go on my adventure, and as excited to share pictures! :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    My flight takes off in less than an hour, and I'm in the Lyft, 6 minutes from the airport. This is my fault for working into the afternoon. The driver, bless his soul, is driving fast to get me there as quickly as he can!

I am excited to go on my adventure, and as excited to share pictures! :)

Good luck, hope you make it!! Looking forward to trip pics.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made my flight countless times, despite arriving at the airport super late. That wasn't how it happened today.

I'm not sure why, but I wasn't able to check in online last night - otherwise, it's a matter of just going through security and making my way to the gate.

Because it was within an hour of departure (just within), I couldn't check in at the kiosk, and was sent to United's Additional Services counter, which was unerstaffed and had a long line. After waiting in line for about 25 minutes, the United staff who assisted considered whether I could make the flight (17 minutes to gates closing). I offered to make the run. We decided to rebook me on a 6:25 p.m. (I'm aboard :). I'm going to India. I won't be connecting through Zurich, but will instead go via Frankfurt.

There is a cafe called Schwarzenbach in Zurich that makes wonderful coffee, but it looks like there is other coffee, in Frankfurt, in my destiny! :)

United staff looked at my Hero's Journey and asked if I wanted to check it. I commented that the top zips off and they were cool with it. The main pack is in the overhead bin. The top part is at my feet. I love how easily it splits and reassembles! :)

Thank you for United staff for rebooking me!

Taking off...wait, I spoke too soon. They just announced that there are some mechanical issues. They're working on it. Hahaha - can't help but laugh! :D

Edit: we tend to comment when something goes wrong, specially with airlines; I think that we don't as frequently voice when something goes right. I just wanted to share that I had requested a vegetarian meal, and I expected that they would not have a vegetarian meal for me on my new route. Much to my surprise, when meal service began, one of the flight attendants popped over with a vegetarian meal. :)
    Last edited by maverick; 03-15-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great trip Maverick, canít wait to see what you think of the HsJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the Hero's Journey and Side Effect at Frankfurt Haptbonoffe.

I decided to pack wallet, mints, lip balm, passport, earphones, and pen in the Side Effect because I felt it can stay in place around my waist when I take the Hero's Journey off.

Last edited by maverick; 03-15-2018 at 06:08 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I walked from Frankfurt Haptbonoffe to a cafe called ALEX to enjoy a delicious cappuccino. I was amused to find a Chipotle there (a regular lunch spot for us back home). It was very cool to see grass growing between the tram tracks as I walked back.

-m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMEBLOM View Post
    Have a great trip Maverick, canít wait to see what you think of the HsJ.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, @MJMEBLOM! I must say, when pick up or handle the Hero's Journey to put it on my back or take it off, I realize how heavy I have packed it. But after walking over 4 miles today with the Hero's Journey on my back, I don't feel at all fatigued!
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    With the Hero's Journey and Side Effect at Frankfurt Haptbonoffe.

I decided to pack wallet, mints, lip balm, passport, earphones, and pen in the Side Effect because I felt it can stay in place around my waist when I take the Hero's Journey off.

Lovely pics! I have never seen grass growing along train tracks like that.

Can I ask you something about the HsJ? In all pics I have seen of the HsJ, yours included, the top pack looks like it is pulling away from the wearer's body in a way that would throw off the weight distribution and make the bag feel heavier than if it had some load lifter straps. Do you think that is the case?

Hope you have a speedy and safe rest of your trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mav,

As always I love following your adventures and seeing your great pictures. Keep them coming so we can live vicariously through them.
    Stay safe.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Maverick, please post on how your trip went and how the Hero's Journey performed. I have one waiting for my pick up on my next trip through the US.

BTW, are those Oboz on your feet?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Lovely pics! I have never seen grass growing along train tracks like that.

Can I ask you something about the HsJ? In all pics I have seen of the HsJ, yours included, the top pack looks like it is pulling away from the wearer's body in a way that would throw off the weight distribution and make the bag feel heavier than if it had some load lifter straps. Do you think that is the case?

Hope you have a speedy and safe rest of your trip.
    Hi @Cristina!

Yes, I appreciate having more green wherever possible :) (as an aside, I wish we had done a grass driveway using one of those grid products).

I understand what you mean about the detachable top compartment looking like it is pulling away, but it hasn't felt like the weight distribution is off all of the times that I have used it. I really, really liked how the Hero's Journey carried!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    Hey Maverick, please post on how your trip went and how the Hero's Journey performed. I have one waiting for my pick up on my next trip through the US.

Hi @tdivcr!

I really enjoyed carrying the Hero's Journey! This trip, I think I was able to exercise a little more self-control over how much I packed. I removed a blanket that I was going to bring, mainly for use in-flight because the blankets in Economy class often feel insufficient, at least for how cold I at times feel in the airplane. It worked out, as I put on my Nano Puff when I felt cold, and used the provided blanket for my legs.

I did, however, pack a lot of smartwool t-shirts, enough that they did not need to be washed. I have holes in all of them, except for the new one I got this past Christmas. I was thinking that I may dispose of them as I use them this trip, as some of the holes have really grown over time -- a couple of them have holes near the waist big enough that my arm can fit through them! But I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them -- they are super comfortable, and still functional!

I was wearing Merrell Moab's on my feet.

--- Begin Gross part ---

My feet and my shoes haven't had generally odor issues. Exceptions to this statement that I can recall are some cloth shoes I had gotten a couple of years back, and shoes back in my teenage years.

I use the Moab's when I go hiking, and I have done day all day hiking trip, and odor has never been an issue.

But something happened this trip, I can't explain what. I noticed the odor at the end of my flight into Frankfurt or into Delhi, I forget now which. And it persisted in the shoes throughout the trip. So much so, that I wanted to throw these shoes away! The shoes just stank, so much so that my washed socks would stink as a result of putting on these shoes. The stink fortunately would not make it to my feet, so I could take off my shoes and put on my flip flops whenever I wasn't out!

I'm not sure why this happened. I was wearing the same smartwool hiking socks I always wear.

I will try washing them with a mild soap and see what happens...

--- End Gross part ---
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick summary of what I packed, as best as I can recall:

In the main compartment of the Hero's Journey:

In a Packing Cube Should Bag:
    * 6 t-shirts, I believe.

In a small packing cube:
    * (4?) underwear and socks.

In a small packing cube:
    * 1 pair of hiking pants.
    * 2 yoga pants.

In a small packing cube:
    * 2 pairs of shorts.

Travel towel.

My Tilley hat, which was just so awesome for both sunny days and the one rainy day.

In the bottom compartment of the Hero's Journey:

In a Deluxe Spiff Kit:
    * dry toiletries, including toothbrush, tongue cleaner, soap, shampoo bar, cotton swabs.

In a Clear 3D Organizer Cube:
    * liquids, including toothpaste, liquid hand soap, liquid face soap, hand cream, body lotion, face cream.

Flushable wipes.

Travel bidet.

In the top, removable compartment of the Hero's Journey:

* iPad in Cache.

* Nano Puff jacket when I wasn't wearing it.

In a side pocket on one side of the Hero's Journey:

* Hydroflask.

Secured in the last straps on the other side of the Hero's Journey:

* Roll-up camping chair.

In the Side Effect:
    * passport and travel documents.
    * wallet.
    * earphones.
    * ear plugs.
    * pen.
    * tissues.
    * mints.
    * lip balm (I ran out half way through the week, should have packed a spare).

With regard to my passport, I have literally exhausted all of the pages in my passport (so much so, that the immigration officer in India complained that he had no place to stamp my passport when I was departing). My passport expires later this year, but I think I need to go ahead and apply for one before my next trip abroad.

Amongst the benefits of Global Entry is that US Immigration no longer stamps my passport when I return to the country, which has probably saved me a couple of pages of my passport.

IAD Immigration and Customs was quite busy when I flew back yesterday -- so much so that they held us in the mobile lounge that takes us from the remote terminal where we deplane to the immigrations and customs area in the main terminal. When we were allowed out of the mobile lounge, we were held at the top of the stairs, again because of the backup -- the Crew was allowed to head down to the Immigration and Customs area, but not the passengers. I asked -- what about if we have Global Entry? Do we also need to wait? And the officer said that those with Global Entry may also head down -- woohoo!

IAD has installed kiosks where you scan your passport before heading to an immigration officer to help speed up the process. They also have consolidated the immigration and customs processing. This all makes the process more efficient. But I still strongly believe that spending $100 to have Global Entry (and TSA-Pre) for 5 years is well worth the money! The last thing I want to do after being on an 8 hour flight is spend another hour in line to go through passport control!
    Last edited by maverick; 03-27-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my destination, I used the Top Pack of the Hero's Journey and the Side Effect daily.

I would carry the Top Pack as a backpack, and it would hold a water bottle and my Nano Puff jacket (in the mornings, as I wouldn't need it while I was walking, but it was nice to add a layer when I was sitting). It would at times also hold my Side Effect when I wasn't wearing the latter as a waist pack.

I would clip my roll up camping chair to the carabiner of the Top Pack when I had it with me, which worked really well.

Coming back from my vacation, I find myself wanting to reach for the Top Pack. I will have to try and see how it holds my 12" MacBook! :)
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post

I love Oboz! Bought a pair in January and have worn them a lot! No breaking in needed, very comfy. I like that they plant a tree for each paid sold. And they replace the insole and laces for free!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast