Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Cache with Zipper

The updated Cache had kind of a quiet debut, so I thought I'd post some pictures.

New Cache with Zipper-p3310453_1000-jpg

(This is a size 13D and it's just about perfect for a Microsoft Surface Pro.)

The new Cache differs from the old one in that it is a zip closure instead of a flap. The zipper covers two full sides plus parts of the other two. There are rails on both sides, oriented in orthogonal directions. That means that you can use this Cache either vertically as you would in something like a Synapse:

New Cache with Zipper-p3310486_1000-jpg

Or horizontally as you would in something like a Tri-Star:

New Cache with Zipper-p3310489_1000-jpg

The underside of the zipper is separated from your device by a flap so the zipper doesn't scratch the contents of the Cache:

New Cache with Zipper-p3310459_1000-jpg

Whichever orientation you use it in, the zipper extends a bit onto the "closed" side to make it easier to get your stuff in or out:

New Cache with Zipper-p3310482_1000-jpg

Without the flap, the new Cache packs just a little bit flatter:

New Cache with Zipper-p3310485_1000-jpg

The materials on the new one are the same as the old one, so you still get the same amount of padding and the soft interior. The new design is a win for everyone- customers can buy one Cache and use it either way and Tom Bihn doesn't have to make horizontal and vertical versions anymore.

New Cache with Zipper-p3310472_1000-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos and review, proximal!

I admit I was annoyed when the new Cache debuted, because I'd just bought two new caches (each orientation) weeks before. I'm really envious of the ability to re-orient now and the flatter (non-flap) depth. (Seeing the new version, it all seems so obvious!) Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for these pictures! I've been struggling to figure out which size will fit my new Surface Pro, and you've just answered my question. It looks like the 13D is wider than it needs to be for the surface, but I like that it's long enough to include the pen attached to the edge. And the protection on the corners looks good from what I can see. I've been using a form-fitting Incipio sleeve, which fits exactly (with pen) and slides easily in my Copilot. I bought it for the very reason that this new cache was made: so it will zip in either format, portrait or landscape. I do like that the Incipio case has a flat outer pocket as well, which is where I keep my surface arc mouse. But I like the rails and extra padding of the Tom Bihn cache. It looks like the arc mouse can probably sit go in the main compartment along with the computer.

ETA: Things I dislike about the Incipio case that I currently have: nowhere near Bihn build quality. The zippers and stitching are kind of cheap, and the "incipio" tag ended up tearing completely off. Also, I once carried a water bottle in the main compartment of one of my Bihn bags, alongside the Incipio case. Of course, the bottle leaked and soaked my Incipio case, which absorbed the water like a sponge and sucked it to the interior where my computer was. Fortunately I noticed it sort of quickly and was able to air dry my surface pro type cover which got damp. They really need to make these things water repellent!
    Last edited by Amy; 04-05-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Thanks for the photos and review, proximal!

I admit I was annoyed when the new Cache debuted, because I'd just bought two new caches (each orientation) weeks before. I'm really envious of the ability to re-orient now and the flatter (non-flap) depth. (Seeing the new version, it all seems so obvious!) Enjoy!
    What sizes did you purchase? I just received a 15A in the new style and don't like the way the extra rails snag things in my Synapse 25. I would be interested in an exchange for the vertical one if the size is right. It needs to fit my Yoga 730 15"

-Joseph

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I cut the flaps off of all my old caches because they were too big and bulky. This looks like a welcome improvement.