Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes

The small Western Flyer cubes seem very versatile. They are probably my favorite cubes of the new design, despite not having the option for a laundry divider. I decided to try them out in the Pop Tote. This may have been mentioned before, but two of them fit really well.

On the one hand, the Pop Tote isn't really designed for carrying too much weight. Even with the padding, I'd think the handles would dig into one's palms after a certain point. However, for a very light load it would be fine. The PT itself is also very light, so it's a nice way to carry a few clothes, maybe paired with a backpack.

I never got the Yeoman Duffel or those PCs, but I remember that @moriond posted about the many alternative ways they could be utilized. Would love to see more posts in that tradition.

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-pop_tote_b-jpg

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-pop_tote_a-jpg
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-01-2018 at 06:09 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh @bchaplin those are some killer pictures. You may have just sold me on the new WF small packing cubes!

One thing that has always held me back from buying TB's packing cubes is that I just don't own the bags that they sell packing cubes for, and I don't know how they would fit in the other bags.

Can you say what other bags in which you've successfully tried the WF small packing cubes?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can give it a try (in a more systematic way) and let you know later in the week! Of course, with the bags I happen to have.
    A good question to ask: What TB travel bags and/or cubes do you own already?
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I can give it a try (in a more systematic way) and let you know later in the week! Of course, with the bags I happen to have.
    A good question to ask: What TB travel bags and/or cubes do you own already?
    I own the S19, S25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, DLBP, A30PCBP, Pop Tote, Large and Small Shop Bags.

For packing cubes I don't own any from TB but I own many varieties of Eagle Creek Full Cube and Half Cubes.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, @carrot.

I had a Synapse 19 for quite a while, but no longer, and no Synapse 25. So I can't comment on these bags, but my guess is that the small WF cubes might fit. Also don't have the Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack.

But for those I do own:

The small WF PC just fits in the Co-Pilot. It's probably not ideal for this bag, since it has to scrunch a bit; maybe a compressible Eagle Creek half-cube would be preferable if you really wanted to use it for clothes.

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-co_pilot_1_wf_sm-jpg

The WF PC fits pretty well in the Pilot, though, with a tiny margin of space along the side. If packed full, though, its depth means that it would fill the back compartment and probably impinge on the front compartments a bit.

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-pilot_1_wf_sm_cube-jpg

I've talked about the Pop Tote in a post above, of course. Two WF PC's go in with space to spare.

Surprisingly, these cubes also fit well in the Daylight Backpack. This would be a super-light way to travel! One cube:

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-dlbp_1_wf_sm_cube-jpg

The problem with this bag is that cubes do not stack well in it, unless they fit exactly without shlumping to the bottom and making it all bulgy. However, the second WF cube can go in the lower pocket! When packed this way, and zippered shut, this backpack looks slim and is comfortable to carry.

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-dlbp_2_wf_sm_cubes-jpg

I'll also show the two cubes in the Smart Alec. I think I've posted this in a different thread. Despite the Smart Alec being heavier than the Pop Tote or Daylight Backpack, the structure means that these cubes, a toiletry bag (on the side), with a lot of other odds and ends on the top, would all be accommodated easily.

Pop Tote + Western Flyer cubes-sa_2_wf_sm_cube_toiletry-jpg

Hope that helps a little! When I started trying out the different combinations I realized how many possibilities there were. The A30 cubes, both large and small, can also be useful.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small A45 laundry cube fits in the back of a Pilot. And two small A45 landry cubes fit in a Pop Tote, with room for other stuff like TTs and 3Dcubes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I own the S19, S25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, DLBP, A30PCBP, Pop Tote, Large and Small Shop Bags.

For packing cubes I don't own any from TB but I own many varieties of Eagle Creek Full Cube and Half Cubes.
    Do you own the Eagle Creek pack-it spectre? Trying to decide between those and TB ones.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bintobeen View Post
    Do you own the Eagle Creek pack-it spectre? Trying to decide between those and TB ones.
    Yes I do. I have the original Specter in Full and Half (not Specter Tech) as well as the compression versions of those.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two A45 small packing cubes fit quite well in the PT, too. They only a hair too long, but they squish. They're wider than the A30 cubes by an inch, too, which becomes the vertical space in the PT. I'm more likely to use my Eagle Creek Specter cubes in the PT.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 06-29-2018 at 06:11 AM.