Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Thanks to all you obsessive packers! The Aeronaut 30 was great for 11 days in Japan

I found my packing list from my 18-year old son's 11-day trip to Japan over Spring Break.
    I obsessed about finding a bag he could manage and not be obnoxious on trains, his tiny community dorm room, carry-on only, etc.
    He thinks I'm crazy. :)
    We bought him an Aeronaut 30 - Verde 1050 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon and fancy shoulder strap and some kind of waist belt.
    He did not use either the belt/shoulder strap. Compared to his book bags at school, he thought this was nothing.
    He is 5-11" and about 150 lb, so his clothes are not gigantic, and he is not picky about wearing clothes more than once without washing--except for underwear, prefers clean. I am relieved he has some kind of standards.

On the flight he wore some travel jeans, walking boots, Quest 2.0 briefs, wool socks, Bluffworks dress shirt, Bluffworks travel blazer to stash all his paperwork/money.

I packed one end with a clear 3D cube for toiletries, meds and SOAK for washing and a Side Effect with the hack I saw using a little shoulder strap to hang it from the tray table for in-flight catch-all. I stuck sleeping mask, kleenex, double USB charger, playing cards, ear plugs, small TB clear organizer pouch with back-up money, notes in the Sidekick.

Other end of A30 was flip flops and a Large Outlier towel (he thought I was so weird for sending the towel, but he ended up loving it because it was huge and dried so fast).

The main compartment was Aether packing cubes dropped in vertically so the handles faced up, zippers pointing toward center.
    From left to right:
    Small A45 Packing cube (light green): Shirts* (There were 9 shirts in total, rolled)
    Small A30 Packing cube (light green): The rest of the 9 shirts.
    Small A30 Packing cube (purple-ish): 2 pair Bluffworks Athletic Chino's
    Small A45 Packing cube (smokey-ish): 7 travel underwear (3 Quest 2.0's Small; 1 6" Ex Officio Sport Mesh Boxer brief medium; 3 Uniqlo Airism low rise boxer brief large) and 7 pair wool socks

Tucked in front of the Small A30's (vertically) was a pair of Uniqlo elastic waist lightweight shorts and another Uniqlo t-shirt as pajamas.
    The zipper net pocket over the main compartment had a 2-gallon zip loc and a foldable hanger and some string. (for washing -- he ended up deciding his underwear and socks did not smell so he could not be bothered with washing. Nothing in the pocket got used. So much for his standards.)

His bag was not overstuffed. He had tiny room on top of the Aethers that would have fit a tablet or shirt or magazines or slippers sized stuff. The PCs were not overstuffed either. Keeping the zippers pointed toward the center kept everything accessible.

*Below is list of shirts stuck in the light green Aether PC's.
    1 long sleeve (250) smart wool
    1 long sleeve light smart wool
    3 short sleeve cotton/poly blend Uniqlo V-neck (he wished he had crew; I can't win.)
    3 short sleeve merino wool T shirts (Wooly, Smartwool, and another I can't remember)
    1 short sleeve polo tasc cotton/lycra/bamboo

This whole combo, including the Aeronaut 30 and a pokemon luggage tag and a Trtl (neck thing for sleeping on plane) wrapped around the end handle, weighed 12 pounds!!! And it could have been lighter had he left the SOAK, hanger, string and zip-loc at home.

He also brought a Synapse 19 with a Marmot rain jacket in the lower pocket, a knit cap, a camera (he never used the camera), TB pillow stuff bag
    and a pair of running shoes. Lots of gluten free snacks. Maybe a pair of gloves, can't remember. Phone and portable charger.

He wore the A30 on his back and carried the Synapse 19.
    For daytrips, he just took the Synapse. I had shown him another hack I saw for strapping jackets to the zipper side of the Synapse by just taking the waist strap of the Synapse, strapping the jacket on and shoving the top of the jacket through the grab handle at the top of the backpack. I saw pictures of him actually using this little hack as he wandered with his class at a monument of some sort.

I did use the trick I learned from a video from one of Rick Steve's employees who gave a talk on how to pack. She recommended getting a food scale and rolling up and weighing each shirt, etc. and write the ounces on the tag.

Yes, this was an obsession. However, he made it home without losing anything! Plus he looked pretty sharp in new grown-up clothes. He is set for future adventures.

Thanks again to all who posted pictures and ideas here on this forum. I think I read them all.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmadog View Post
    I found my packing list from my 18-year old son's 11-day trip to Japan over Spring Break.
    I obsessed about finding a bag he could manage and not be obnoxious on trains, his tiny community dorm room, carry-on only, etc.
    He thinks I'm crazy. :)
    Thanks again to all who posted pictures and ideas here on this forum. I think I read them all.
    Way to go Mom! My 18 y.o. daughter thought I was crazy too, but now she is completely on board with packing light and sends her friends here for tips lol
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing me use my NFTD for two long weekends one of my boys bought a smaller weekender size bag, a travel toiletries organizer and practiced rolling his clothes. He liked my clear 3DOC but wasn’t willing to buy the TB version. He shopped around until he found one with nylon sides, not all vinyl! He did say he’d like a LSB or two for his study abroad year!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    After seeing me use my NFTD for two long weekends one of my boys bought a smaller weekender size bag, a travel toiletries organizer and practiced rolling his clothes. He liked my clear 3DOC but wasn’t willing to buy the TB version. He shopped around until he found one with nylon sides, not all vinyl! He did say he’d like a LSB or two for his study abroad year!
    Christmas hints... very sly that son of yours.
    I suspect for future trips my son will attempt to just stuff his things, rather than roll them. Its a process!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmadog View Post
    I Thanks again to all who posted pictures and ideas here on this forum. I think I read them all.
    I also just came to the forum to say thanks.

We just came back from five days in CA wine country, and I appreciated all of the advice that I got here. From my A45 and Daylight Backpack to the stuff sacks that I hung from the seat in front of my so I didn’t leave anything on the plane. Over three years, I’ve bought slowly. Wool shirts. Travel underwear. Detergent to do sink washing. I haven’t convinced anyone. My wife still thinks I’m crazy. But I love the simplicity — the practical way that it makes travel easier and the broader way that it lets me focus on the travel and what I want to do.

Thanks to everyone who has posted over the years. I have appreciated dozens of posts and implemented many of them. Now I wish one of you could solve my jet lagged five-year-old.

One suggestion — Mountain Hardware Pants. They aren’t sold as travel pants, but I now own light and heavy versions of the khaki pants. They’ve been great — and they’re a cheaper alternative to the Outlier pants. Although I still love my Outliet pants and towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk