1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the SSB back? Sorry I haven't been around for a while.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomepants View Post
    Is the SSB back? Sorry I haven't been around for a while.
    https://blog.tombihn.com/category/briefs

I couldn't find the forum post, but that's the news brief on the blog about the one final run of SSB that happened this summer. It was a pre-order type offer with the new designs (Truck and both sizes of zippered shop bags) and most of the orders are to ship in September.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    https://blog.tombihn.com/category/briefs

I couldn't find the forum post, but that's the news brief on the blog about the one final run of SSB that happened this summer. It was a pre-order type offer with the new designs (Truck and both sizes of zippered shop bags) and most of the orders are to ship in September.
    Ah, thanks for the info. It looks like I missed out on these again. Bummer.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm geeked that the pre-order shipping notice says that my order should ship the 28th or 29th...and since I'm on the west coast that means I should get the new bags by Friday 31st...

Fingers crossed, because I leave on vacation the next morning and would love to take one of the new zipped bags on a test run!
    :)
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you find that these stand on their own and - fabric weight aside - are as robust as the pop tote?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bintobeen View Post
    Do you find that these stand on their own and - fabric weight aside - are as robust as the pop tote?
    Hi @bintobeen,

No, the Shop Bags (whether they are zip top or the original open design, in either Large or Small size), are not designed to stand on their own, nor are they designed to be as tough (or as heavy in weight) as the Pop Totes. Their bottoms have rectangular profiles, so they will stay flat on the ground if there is something in them, but remember that the 200d weight of the Halcyon is the same fabric that they used for the original packing cubes for the travel bags.

I'll excerpt some pictures of a Small Shop bag in Monarch that I used to give an impression of size/capacity in one of my posts in the The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes thread. I've made the empty small shop bag stand open (empty) on the carpet, beside the two (also empty) Yeoman Duffel Aether packing cubes, but you can see that the sides of the empty bag are sagging. The black piping that you can see running along the front sides of the shop bag (also runs along the bottom and along the back), reinforces the rectangular shape, but the bag is not designed to stay open, just supported by the thickness and strength of the Halcyon fabric it is made from. The handles are padded (you might just be able to see that for the front handle on the bottomost picture), so they're very comfortable to carry with heavy items -- the padding distributes the weight either in your hand or with over the shoulder carry, so the handles don't cut into you when you use these for heavy loads.

The Dyneema (white grid) is very strong -- it's related to the materials used in bullet-proof vests, but the fabric between the grids is light weight. So you can carry around heavy items pretty easily (like bowling balls), but the if you plan on regularly dragging the bottoms of the bags across concrete, the fabric between the grid will abrade, even while the grid network will hold the remainder of the fabric in place.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread on the new Aether packing cubes offered for the 4 sizes of the Yeoman Duffel. They differ from the earlier Aether packing cubes for the Aeronauts and the Tri-Star by their depth, and also by the fact that they seem designed to be used in the Yeoman Duffels in "book end" fashion, with webbing handles to make it easy to pull them out.

<snip>

The Yeoman Duffel Packing Cubes are deep, and have webbing handles. They can conveniently be carried, too, in other bags. Here are two of the Small Yeoman Duffel packing cubes (Wasabi and Carbon) in front of a Small Shop Bag in Monarch. The zipper runs along 3 sides of the cube (and just around the corners of the fourth side), close to the edge, so that the open cube can be fully filled, and the webbing handles allow you to carry each cube easily.

Two of the Small Yeoman Duffel Packing Cubes are nicely sized to fit into a Small Shop Bag, as shown in the next picture

This is the top view of the two Small Yeoman Duffel packing cubes inside the Small Shop Bag. There's still room for inserting a medium organizer pouch, or other contents into the side pockets of the Small Shop Bag.

<snip>
    I gather you're looking for a travel carry bag (like the Pop Tote), that you can use messanger style. A Maker's Bag would work, for cross-body carry. The Shop Bags are not meant to substitute for luggage, although I often take one with me when traveling if I'm going to stay somewhere where I'll be buying groceries, etc. For this purpose they maintain there use very well. (I still have a Sapphire Shop Bag that's been carried in my Synapse from when the original Shop Bags debuted. It has even been folded up and stuck into a Q-Kit as part of the demos of that accessories usage on the Q-Kit's debut day on 3-10-2015. The Shop Bag in question was made in November 2008 -- so it has been in use for 10 years (see my post in @G42's recent List - Small Shop Bag thread.

OK, Here's my Sapphire Shop Bag rolled up in the Small Burnt Orange Q-Kit :

Zipped up Small Q-Kit with Rolled up Small Sapphire Shop Bag inside:

(Sorry for the poor quality pictures - they're taken on my iPad, and not in good lighting conditions in my office)

moriond
    I rolled this similar to the way I store a Small Shop Bag in the side pocket of my Synapse 19. I can't put this down and keep it from unrolling while I take a picture, so I secured the rolled Shop Bag with an ice axe strap from the Guide's Pack accessories:I rolled this similar to the way I store a Small Shop Bag in the side pocket of my Synapse 19. I can't put this down and keep it from unrolling while I take a picture, so I secured the rolled Shop Bag with an ice axe strap from the Guide's Pack accessories:

Here's what it starts to unroll and look like when I put it down beside the Small Q-Kit.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but at least you can see this is doable real time.

moriond
    HTH

moriond

ETA: That's a tablet of U.S. letter size paper under the rolled up Small Shop Bag in Q-Kit. I rolled it up and took the picture while the debut day discussion posts about the then-new Q-Kit uses was going on, so it was posted a few minutes after someone posted a question about whether this was possible.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-11-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @bintobeen,

No, the Shop Bags (whether they are zip top or the original open design, in either Large or Small size), are not designed to stand on their own,

ETA: That's a tablet of U.S. letter size paper under the rolled up Small Shop Bag in Q-Kit. I rolled it up and took the picture while the debut day discussion posts about the then-new Q-Kit uses was going on, so it was posted a few minutes after someone posted a question about whether this was possible.
    Just saw this now - thanks for all the details! My dream would be something with the shape of the pop tote but that can also be carried messenger style as necessary!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2