Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Red face The new Freudian Slip colors

Hi All,

I received some samples of the new 210d Ballistic Freudian slips, and would like to share some impressions.

First surprise: I really love the pop of color provided by Grass. In darker bags, it is the brightest contrast.

Here's the Medium Cafe Bag FS in Grass:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3699-jpg

I use this to transfer stationary items to my Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago. It's also one of the options that I occasionally use for the Synapse 19, or for the bottom pocket of the Daylight Backpack The front mesh pockets are holding an eyeglass case on the left and Kindle Paperwhite on the right. The back of the Medium Cafe Bag FS is carrying a slim A5 Dot-Dash Notebook from Nock.co (this is the size that I use to write up pages that I can put into my Field Journal Notebook -- they also fit into my Side Kick, but any slim A5 notebook would do.)

Check @Ilkyway's pictures of the Daylight Backpack organized with Medium and Small Freudian slips in the top and bottom pockets. The one I excerpt below is from the How to carry two backpacks - Smart Alec and Daylight Backpack thread, and I use it because I generally use the Halcyon Daylight Backpack, with grid interior, and in that mode the contrasting colors of the Freudian slips help even more.
    The new Freudian Slip colors-ea6157255602b0ca7174388c945c3c42-packing-tips-slips-jpg

However, if you want a general view of how to configure the different Freudian slips in a variety of bags, look at The Cafe Bag sized Freudnian Slips in non Cafe Bags or Some photos of the Freudian Slip for Cafe Bag, accompanied by lengthy pontification

I should add that I personally find the Cafe Bag Freudian slips useful outside of the range of just Cafe Bags. The perfect combination for using a bright color like Grass was with the Small Zip-Top Shop Bag in 210d Black Ballistic:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3701-jpg

This is the same Medium Cafe Bag FS in Grass moved over to the Small Zip-Top Shop Bag in 210d Black Ballistic. That option is likely to be very popular, because it's flexible, tough, and basic black goes with everything, but in contrast to the Shop Bags with grids, the interior is very unrelieved and dark. Here's what this looks like with Grass popping up. I've added a lunch box and put a 20 oz. Zojurushi thermos in one of the side pockets. It's a great configuration to use when you have to take some of your notes or reading off to lunch, and can just pop this in!

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3702-jpg

And here are the contents spread out:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3704-jpg

(Sorry pictures are so dark, but I had to shoot the package came in late in the day, and I had to shoot in fading light).

The same contents transferred over to the Sprout (now retired, but a Kid's backpack in the redesigned version):
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3705-jpg

Again, this is meant to show how the Grass color makes the contrast with a Steel interior work. (In this case, the lunch box is also in there).

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3707-jpg

And here is the Grass Medium Cafe Bag FS in a Black/Cloud Synapse 19. All you folks who go for conservative colors on the outside -- shout it out for your interior color preferences!

The closed Imago in the earlier picture (flap over the medium FS) just for size and completeness (you could be using this in a Maker's Bag):

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3700-jpg

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting these, GREAT pics! I ordered a few of these to try, due to the color change. Black is so hard to see, these bright, vibrant colors will make the FS's so much easier to use.

I actually ordered one to use sans bag, to hang on the wall as a bill pay/paperwork station, will see how it goes.

I also am a fan of the Truck, and ordered a small cafe bag one for that, to hold receipts, grocery list, and pens/markers, as I do lot of bulk shopping and need to label the bulk items.
    Last edited by anna2222; 10-28-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Continuing with the colored Freudian slips, here are a few pictures of the Freudian slips in Cloud used for bags with Horizontal Orientation:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3709-jpg

This is the Freudian Slip for Tri-Star/Western Flyer/Empire Builder

I can fit my Hobonichi Weeks planner into the top left zippered pocket, and the power brick of my recent model 13" Retina MacBook Pro (touch bar model) in the top right zippered pocket. (This is just the power brick without the extension cable). In actual fact, I'd probably put my laptop connectors in the top left pocket, using the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch. This picture shows one of the Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouches (except it is holding cutlery instead of my cable connectors -- because it's not always convenient to retrieve items in use in other locations) instead. The power brick is shown inside the top right pocket -- any of the earlier generation 13" Mac Power Bricks can fit there (without the extension cord). The bottom pockets hold a Moleskine notebook, and Anker Power Bank (but I could have substituted a portable Bluetooth speaker or a small stapler in that pocket), and at the end, that is really my current phone (iPhone SE) in the pocket, in front of the stamps. Since most people have moved on to much larger phones, you might use the Moleskine Notebook pocket instead, and used that pocket for business cards, or a Key Card. I've taken to carrying around the Nock.co DotDash Petite Note Cards (business card sized) in my Side Kicks and other bags -- surprisingly handy for short notes to people and fit everywhere. Pens (these are Frixions) and highlighter in the pen pockets, which are wide enough for me to use fountain pens there. I could also put a Four Sevens Preon flashlight in one of those pen pockets.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3718-jpg
    Same arrangement as above with a few switches in the top pockets.

One of the new surprises for me was trying the Freudian slip for Maker's Bag/Swift in Cloud. Most of these products are very well illustrated on their product pages or in the earlier forum threads that were composed for using these Freudian slips when they were introduced in Black Parapack (see links given in my first post). However, what's changed in the meantime have been new forum interests (e.g., increased interest in the Hobonichi Techo thread, so I've tried to make additions that address those items. Of course, some items have been retired in that time, like the Sprout and the Field Journal Notebook.

One change is in the smaller size of the 13" Retina MacBook Pro laptops in recent years (Touch Bar models). I don't know whether I will use this in practice, but I can put this laptop into the back pockets of the Freudian slip for Maker's Bag and Swift, which means that I can transfer this setup into bags like my Imago (retired bag shown in the first post), Pilot, and even the Daylight Briefcase (though the fit in the main section of that bag may be tight, if I use the pockets of the FS to store the power bricks and cables), and this makes a huge difference in the potential utility for me.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3710-jpg

Here's the side with the pockets, and I can put the power brick in the top right zippered pocket, and a set of cables in a mini organizer pouch, plus ear buds, a San Disk Connect Wireless Stick and a Satechi Aluminum Type-C Pro Hub Adapter in that left pocket (actually, within the pockets on the back wall of interior of the zipper pocket). The long extension cable can go in the long pocket at the bottom

On the reverse side, I can fit the 13" Retina MacBook Pro (Touch bar) into the top pocket of the FS, and I can put an A6 Rhodia Notebook into the mesh pocket below.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3713-jpg

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3714-jpg

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3717-jpg

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3716-jpg

This last shows some of the accessories being slotted into the top pockets.

The Maker's Bag FS can slot into my Imago, or a Maker's Bag, or into my Pop Tart or Pilot. (It's not ideal for the Pop Tart in the same sense that putting in just the lap top in a cache pushes the sides of the main compartment out so that the side pockets aren't fully usable for storage). It's slightly wide to put into the Daylight Briefcase main compartment with all the power bricks, etc. -- I'd probably go back to using the cache and distribute the power brick into other pockets of the DLBC. Butů the fact that I can carry all the accessories and the laptop together in a single Freudian slip makes me wonder about this. Again, in the Pilot, I would prefer to use the cache because the compartment is a bit too large.

But the original reason I started thinking about the Maker's Bag Freudian slip for a 13" Laptop was when I answered @haraya's question about a way to tether a laptop inside an Aeronaut 30 in the Cache in Aeronaut 30? thread; see also the Maker's Bag Freudian Slip in Pilot (& possibly DLBC?) thread.

My only concern is whether I should be thinking of using a shell on the laptop, and whether carrying everything -- all the cables and power bricks -- part of the attraction of this setup -- is realistic to transfer between bags. YMMV.

Another thing that doesn't show up in these pictures: Cloud has a translucent quality when you insert an illuminated iPhone screen in a pocket.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-28-2018 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Re-added Attachments -- expired before post was completed

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Thanks for posting these, GREAT pics! I ordered a few of these to try, due to the color change. Black is so hard to see, these bright, vibrant colors will make the FS's so much easier to use.

I actually ordered one to use sans bag, to hang on the wall as a bill pay/paperwork station, will see how it goes.

I also am a fan of the Truck, and ordered a small cafe bag one for that, to hold receipts, grocery list, and pens/markers, as I do lot of bulk shopping and need to label the bulk items.
    @anna2222...please post pics of the Small Cafe Bag FS in the Truck when you receive it. I'm using my Truck as a planner bag and the Small CBFS would probably be perfect for pens, pencils, washi, stickers, etc.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    @anna2222...please post pics of the Small Cafe Bag FS in the Truck when you receive it. I'm using my Truck as a planner bag and the Small CBFS would probably be perfect for pens, pencils, washi, stickers, etc.
    I'll try to post a few pics, but our power failed, and so my Wi-Fi cut out when I was trying to reply on this. I'm tethering to my phone.

Here's the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in Cloud inside an AlphaViolet Truck in a series of pictures:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3684-jpg

The width of the Small FS is just about the width of the main Compartment

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3686-jpg

This lets you see from a different angle that the height doesn't go above the side panels of the main compartment

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3687-jpg

This view shows that the bottom side panels don't bulge out.

For comparison, here's the Small Cafe Bag Freudian slip in Cloud next to my Hemp Little Swift, which is holding the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian slip in Grass. (If you read in detail the threads linked in my first post, you'll see that I there are some instances in which I use the Medium size to hold papers, and there is a discussion with @Ilkyway where I show pictures of what it looks like when I carry letter paper in the LS with folders instead of the Medium Cafe Bag FS -- as long as I don't try to use the full vertical height to carry accessories the Medium Cafe Bag size works well for carrying pages. This is not a recommendation that everyone should use this size in the Little Swift!)

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3697-jpg

Here's the Grass Medium Cafe Bag FS in a Dawn Truck. This will cause the sides of the main compartment to bulge out slightly.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3690-jpg

While the height isn't above the height of the front and back of the Truck, it is higher than the side panels to the main compartment.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3691-jpg

You can see from the top view the amount by which the sides of the Medium Cafe Bag Freudian slip pushes out the sides of the center section of the Truck.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3692-jpg

Here's a side vie of the side edges of the Medium Cafe Bag FS causing the sides of the middle compartment of the Dawn Truck to slightly bulge.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3695-jpg

More from the top.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_3696-jpg

And from a more front view.

HTH, Sorry power has been out for me for some time, so I'm not going to be able to post more.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post

Hi @anna222,

There are some pictures of Darcy using one of the Horizontal Freudian slips mounted to the wall.

I took some quick pics of the small and medium cafe bag Freudian slips in the Truck for sizing purposes. In the Daylight Briefcase, I always preferred to use the minimalist (but now retired) Pen/Pencil inserts for the Field Journal Notebook, and extended that to lots of bags.

The Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip fits the width of the Main Compartment of the Truck. The Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip is slightly wider and taller.

moriond

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @moriond! Excellent pictures!!!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    @lizziejean3,

The bottom pocket of the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip does, indeed, work well for washi tape and stickers. I place a small pair of Fiskar's scissors in the bottom pocket, but you can also carry your overflow pens there. And, it's easy to store this size FS upright in the Truck. I was sent the Brain Bag/Smart Alec Freudian slip in Island (my Smart Alec is 400d New Black Halcyon with Island interior), and I do like blue, so I have a fair idea of the color range. HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to share some photos of how I use my new GRASS Makers Bag FS and SCB FS. I ordered several of the FS's to figure out what color was best for me, as I wanted something bright, and I was surprised to realize, at least for me, that the island blue seemed dark when it was inside a bag, the Cloud color was easier to see than the island. The grass though, simply GLOWS, which is what I wanted. I also realized that I needed to be able to use these FS's in as many bags as possible, so that limited my choices as well. I like what I ended up with, and am using them daily!

My TRUCK with the GRASS SCBFS for easy and organized grocery shopping
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0033-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0034-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0035-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0036-jpg

MBFS for my PT, it keeps the bag standing and it fits perfectly, and yes I CAN zip it closed.
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0040-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0041-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0044-jpg

The MBFS works great in the PU as well!
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0045-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0046-jpg

The SCBFS is a good fit for my trusty Luminary, easy to pack up my calligraphy kit and go
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0047-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0049-jpg
    Last edited by anna2222; 11-10-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My calligraphy kit in the GRASS SCB FS
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0038-jpg
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_0039-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very smart ways to use the Grass SCB FS!

At first glance, I only noticed the Trunk because Aubergine and the Luminary because of its form.

When I scrolled back to like your pictures, I noticed a few more bags organized by the FS.

Thank you for sharing!
    Last edited by backpack; 11-10-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @lizziejean3,

The bottom pocket of the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip does, indeed, work well for washi tape and stickers. I place a small pair of Fiskar's scissors in the bottom pocket, but you can also carry your overflow pens there. And, it's easy to store this size FS upright in the Truck. I was sent the Brain Bag/Smart Alec Freudian slip in Island (my Smart Alec is 400d New Black Halcyon with Island interior), and I do like blue, so I have a fair idea of the color range. HTH

moriond
    Thank you, thank you moriond for those great pictures! They really help visualize the footprint of the FSlips in the various TB bags.

One question, how would you describe Cloud in comparison to Dawn, Alphaviolet, Steel Travel Ballistic, the heavy duty one and Northwest Sky, is it a warmer or cooler gray.

Have you seen Nebulous Gray?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @backpack,

Cloud is like the 210d Ballistic counterpart of Northwest Sky in the Halcyon fabrics. It appears very slightly darker, but has about the same tone (if you're speaking of warmer or cooler greys). @Ilkyway's pictures of the fabric swatches in her post in the Shop Bags in knew colours and materials is pretty accurate.

I'll put up a few more pictures of the Freudian Slip colors to complement the great photos @anna2222 took. She certainly took a few of the points that I made to heart: (1) the Grass really pops when used in dark colored bags and (2) the Freudian Slip for Swift/Maker's Bag can work for holding the newer 13" and smaller laptops in a variety of bags.

Here's the Vertical Freudian Slip (now termed the FS for Brain Bag/Smart Alec) in Island:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4132-jpg
    It's shown inside an open Original Halcyon Packing Cube Backpack. There are a lot of open designs where this color works just fine. The top left pocket is holding a Hobonichi Weeks Notebook, next there is a FoxL portable speaker (with Bluetooth), and the end pocket can hold standard business cards and/or transport cards (that's an Oyster card in front). The mesh pockets are being used to hold a Zojurushi Tea Thermos (340 ml) and a Kiwi Size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch with cutlery. The right mesh pocket holds a lunch box. I was cheered by Darcy's statement that we can expect to see some accessories in the Original Halcyon/Island combination later this year or at the beginning of next year. You could alternatively put a pair of reading glasses or a pencil pouch in the pocket that holds the speaker. This is the taller Chimney top pencil case from Nock at the side:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4135-jpg

This is what it looks like loaded into my Black 400d Halcyon/Island Smart Alec:

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4136-jpg

Here's the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip in Cloud (color looks darker than in real life):
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4155-jpg

You can see that the bottom pocket easily holds a small pair of scissors, a few rolls of washi tape, a stamp, and some flags. I've put a Field Notes Notebook on top of a set of file folder labels in the top pocket (to show that the pocket width can handle standard file folder labels). I like to use the Nock A5 Dot-Dash Notebooks as a thin notebook to carry with me (can work in my Side Kick -- also can cut out sheets to put into my Field Journal Notebook). One of these is shown under a Field Notes Notebook to the right. This would go into the pocket on the back side of the Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip (or I could carry an iPad Mini there).

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4154-jpg
    The widest/thickest notebook I could fit into that top center pocket is the Hardcover Leuchtturm1917 pocket notebook -- but I had to push hard to get this into the pocket, because it's really a bit too thick to go in easily, and in practice I'd say the pocket is too tight for this. I think @anna2222 may be carrying one of these in the back pocket of her Small Cafe Bag Freudian Slip instead.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4152-jpg
    In practice, for a lot of purposes, I would use the (now-retired) Field Journal Notebook Organizational Insert for a lot of instances as a mini Freudian Slip. The back pocket can hold scissors and a notebook (Field Notes or the Hobonichi Weeks sized memo books). The small mesh pocket in front is holding Post-It flags and a stamp.

The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4149-jpg

So here they are in the Truck:
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4148-jpg

The side compartment of the Truck each have a conveniently placed O-ring:
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4146-jpg

If I use the Small Cafe Bag FS in Cloud inside an Island Truck, it looks like this:
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4141-jpg

(Color is about accurate in that picture)

The back of the Small Cafe Bag FS can easily fit a Small Double organizer pouch
    The new Freudian Slip colors-img_4138-jpg

In general, for the Truck design, I prefer the lighter weight 210d Ballistic Nylon fabric and brighter colors for my usage (for many of the reasons @BWeaves gave). I tested a Halcyon Island Truck, and it worked fine for me for grocery shopping and carrying books.

I have seen the Nebulous Gray, and also like it.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 11-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures moriond!

I love, love, love your beautiful explanations and setups, I too use the FJN accessories inside the FJN.

You have just given me a tremendous idea that resolve the conundrum of how to carry writing instruments, if I want to just take the Tom Bihn notebook, some pencils and an eraser in my SCB.

Is the Nebulous Gray more cool or more warm or neutral?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @backpack,

Nebulous Gray is fairly neutral, but it's a darker (more charcoal) gray than Steel or Grey.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @backpack,

Nebulous Gray is fairly neutral, but it's a darker (more charcoal) gray than Steel or Grey.

moriond
    Thank you so much!