Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    YESSS! They just listed a 4th wallet with a loop to use with a key strap.
    And THIS is why I love this company so much. Thank you, Nik and Tom Bihn crew!

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I received some of these wallets too. Here are some photos and thoughts.

I am currently using the Nordic Halcyon #1, the most minimalist of the lot. And loving it.

On the TB side, I have cash, two credit cards, and the office access card. On the strap side, I have two debit cards, ID, driver’s licence, three business cards, and an ice-cream store loyalty card.

One of my debit cards function as a Metro card too.

Tapping my wallet works fine in the subway.

I used to have a fat old leather wallet which was filled with unnecessary cards and receipts. And I never carried that wallet in my pants pocket because it was too big and fat.

You can see my old wallet in this photo of the travel cubelet.

But with the #1 wallet, I can now wear my Uniqlo 4-way stretch skinny chinos and still fit my #1 wallet in my pants without looking like I have a turtle in there.

I’m so chuffed and I am never going back to the old wallet ever again. Thanks, Tom Bihn!
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Now that they have a wallet with a loop, I'm probably going to have to buy one.
    Same! Signed up for the notification, so I don't forget on launch day :)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! The #3 will be perfect for me. The clear inside pocket for showing my work ID every time I enter the building, and the outside pocket for my NYC Metrocard. The only concern I have about this is the elastic band will likely stretch and wear out pretty quickly, with how often you use your wallet. Is something different about this that I'm incorrect?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The elastic on my bra straps lasts for years, and I'm pretty sure they get more of a workout than your wallet. My understanding is that the wallet has been in test mode for at least a year or more, so TB knows if the elastic will hold up.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The elastic on my bra straps lasts for years, and I'm pretty sure they get more of a workout than your wallet. My understanding is that the wallet has been in test mode for at least a year or more, so TB knows if the elastic will hold up.
    Thanks for the reply! Good point. Maybe I just had a bad experience with a Kindle case that had a similar-looking band

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had bad experience with cheap elastic on cheaply made items before, too. But I trust TB to use quality materials and thoroughly test them. And they stand behind their products, so I'm not worried.

Now Tom, about that over the shoulder boulder holder I've been beta testing . . .

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, agreed. I've hardly gone anywhere without my Synapse for over six years. The time I sent it in to have a panel replaced was traumatizing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

When Darcy told me about the New Freudian Slips, the item she included as an extra that I really went nuts over was Nik's Minimalist Wallets. And I started using the one that she sent (with no description or instructions) right away -- that's him in Island in the overview:

Attachment 21354

There are three varieties. One with two pockets both all fabric, one with two pockets -- one of which has a clear urethane window, and one with a third cloth pocket on the outside, which is what you see with number three.

Each pocket can hold up to 7, maybe 8, credit cards or bank cards, but the number is not entirely independent if you want to use the third pocket on the back. The Grass wallet at the bottom right shows what the back pocket looks like. The Island wallet with the 8 cards (driver's license, AAA card, credit cards, ATM cards, library cards) shows 8 cards in the back --spread out so that you can count them. Eight cards can be slightly tight in a new wallet.

Attachment 21355

The Urethane Clear Window side is great if you need to show a driver's license or ID card. What's fantastic about the wallets is that they are super light weight and compact compared to anything else you use:

Attachment 21356

This is an old leather card holder that I've been using in my Side Kick for comparison. The minimalist wallet shown in profile is holding 12 cards, and the 525d Ballistic Nylon or 400d Halcyon is both minimal and smooth. The leather thickness by itself takes up a lot more room.

Attachment 21357

And the wallets come in colors! For size perspective, here are the reverse sides of the Dawn, Coyote, Grass, and Island wallets (in dark lighting). The island wallet is holding 8 cards in one slot, 4 cards in another, and I still have room to put my current iPhone SE (had to transfer phones to take the picture) in the outside third pocket of the back of the wallet. For comparison I show a Field Notes Notebook beside it. This means, too, that everywhere you can put the Field Notes Notebook (in your Travel Cubelet, Medium Cafe Bag Pocket, or Side Kick or Freudian Slip pocket, you can also fit the iPhone and wallet in that configuration.

Attachment 21358

Anywhere inside the Travel Cubelet

Attachment 21359

Attachment 21360

This is taken inside the Black Travel Cubelet, with and without the flash.

Other points about the wallet:

• You can put your transit cards (Oyster card in top picture, put also any Metro cards with magnetic strip, or Charlie Card) in the outside pocket of the wallet for easy access. I can't test this here in Honolulu, but I asked Darcy, and the proximity cards will activate without having to remove them for the wallet pocket. I also use the outside pocket for library cards.

• I love using the minimalist wallet for cases where I don't need credit cards. For example, I always used to stick my Global Entry card in with my Passport in the Passport Pouch, and it would sometimes fall out because it was a different size. A minimalist wallet can hold this card along with all the other travel related loyalty cards you might need -- like the Mileage Plus Gold Card with Star Alliance claims you don't need (it's recorded on line), but in fact I needed the actual card to get into the Lufthansa lounges this summer, despite these claims. Or, you can include your Starbucks card if you want to get a coffee while you're waiting at the airport.

• These are also great for Health ID cards (separated for doctor's visits) or your AAA roadside services card.

• When I go through the airport, I can put both my iPhone and my wallet for travel cards together into a separate pocket in my carryon bag -- this works when I use my iPhone for the boarding pass.

Just a few ideas to get started.

moriond
    Cool wallets. Are they RFID? I agree with some other posters, it'll be thinner in practice when the slots can hold a dollar bill folded in half rather than in thirds. Oh, did I ask about RFID? Nik's New Minimalist Wallets

Nina

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npoerbo View Post
    Cool wallets. Are they RFID? I agree with some other posters, it'll be thinner in practice when the slots can hold a dollar bill folded in half rather than in thirds. Oh, did I ask about RFID? Nik's New Minimalist Wallets

Nina

Nope.

From the product description
    "Because, in part, of the debate over whether RFID-blocking is necessary or just a gimmick, we opted not to make our wallets RFID-blocking. "
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make you wallet RFID the following two ways:

Put 2 credit cards back to back with their magnetic strips touching.

Or- Put a piece of aluminum foil around the cards.

But I don't know anyone who's had their data stolen via RFID. You're more likely to have your data stolen over the internet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make you wallet RFID the following two ways:

Put 2 credit cards back to back with their magnetic strips touching.

Or- Put a piece of aluminum foil around the cards.

But I don't know anyone who's had their data stolen via RFID. You're more likely to have your data stolen over the internet.
    Thanks! I know there are rfid sleeves for credit carda, but looking at how the wallet fits the cards, I don't think it can accommodate those sleeves.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right that Tom needs help beta-testing, if the company ever offers an over-the-shoulder boulder holder!! LOL!!!

(I totally cracked up reading your post comparing the wallet band to your bra elastic. There's a joke in there about apples and oranges, but I'm not witty enough to write it. :D :D)

I've had bad experience with cheap elastic on cheaply made items before, too. But I trust TB to use quality materials and thoroughly test them. And they stand behind their products, so I'm not worried.

Now Tom, about that over the shoulder boulder holder I've been beta testing . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ones wants an RDFI holder TB makes a Passport Pouch just for that.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to go down in the annals of extraordinary responsiveness to customer feedback. Instant prototype development and new product offering - on debut day!! Who does that?!

Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    YESSS! They just listed a 4th wallet with a loop to use with a key strap.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast