Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My guess is that there will be a fairly fast restock on the wallets. They may not have been prepared for the reception it got. The thing is -- the size is really handy for slipping into existing pockets within other bags like the Side Effect and Side Kick, as well as slipping it into a pocket. I did get a feeling of "instalove" when I saw it, as soon as I figured out that it was a wallet. This might have been a less extreme reaction if I hadn't already moved down to a more minimalist wallet configuration by switching over to the Side Kick.

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes! i've been using the little organizer wallet for years now (from before it was a clear organizer wallet, ha ha), so this is an easy switch for me, and even simpler to slip in a pocket if need be.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these are also a good entry level price point (along with Cubelets) for folks dipping their toes into the TB waters and for small gifting/stocking stuffers.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new wallets arrived today!

Dawn #1 and Dawn #3. I currently use a trifold nylon REI wallet that's getting a bit beat up and I have it in my front jeans pocket. I don't need the attachment loop, so no need for #4. Weird travel, random cards I keep in a Pocket Pouch tethered in my pack (if I'm using one)...I also use one for business cards.

I would prefer #1 (no window pocket) but if I want to keep carrying all the cards I currently carry, then they fit easier in #3. Besides the outside pocket on #3, my perception is that the plastic window is just a touch looser/has more space, than the other nylon pocket, probably because of the seam required.
    Usually I walk around with no EDC bag physically on/with me... I carry my wallet, cash, badge, keys, and phone all attached to me (hey, I never said I was stylish - being an engineer is a good excuse - ahem).

Current carry is 4 cards w/raised numbers; 6 cards w/out raised numbers; 1 license; 2 paper cards; 1 quarter folded emergency $20 bill. Other cash I simply carry folded in half, in a back pocket. I pretty much wear jeans every day, even to work, so I actually have pockets!
    The cards all fit in #3 but I'd probably need to loose a card to fit in #1.

Current wallet next to #1 and #3:

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_20181128_130337-jpg

#1 on edge - all cards, a bit too tight

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_20181128_130619-jpg

#3 on edge - all cards, works best

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_20181128_130800-jpg

On the first photo, you can see some discoloration on my REI wallet from jean dye... I expect as @Darcy mentioned, that may happen with the Dawn colour, but it doesn't bother me. I almost went for basic black, but Dawn is just too nice.

EDIT: couple more thoughts...I don't find the elastic to be annoying so far and the exterior pocket seems secure, possibly because I have the wallet packed pretty tight... and I hadn't noticed the NWSky aether 'pattern' on my new laundry cube, but it's very noticeable to me (in a good way) on the wallets
    Last edited by G42; 11-28-2018 at 06:42 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we see the #1 in black 400 halcyon:

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_2869-jpeg

...containing two debit cards, a drivers license, an insurance card, and two loyalty cards (which I had to trim slightly because they're paper and business-card sized).

For funsies, here's a comparison to the wallet I was using before, which is much more hardcore minimalist:

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-k9fns08jqmox2qdedx7b7g_thumb_6590-jpg
    Last edited by Kemayo; 11-30-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Image was broken... still.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this detailed review! I will admit that I saw the Debut Preview and went "Phew! Nothing I need!" Aaaaand then TB released the wallet with the loop. And suddenly I needed it to go into my Travel Cubelets and a couple of other bags that I like to carry when I'm going Minimal. I've got two on my Wish List (and set up to alert me when they're back in stock) so that I can have one for credit cards/ID and one for loyalty cards.

Connecticut, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets

My Black Halcyon Wallet #3 came in today! Switched the contents of my old wallet in and the stuff just fit. Iím amazed how small the wallet is! It took me by surprise when I removed it from the package.

Last edited by ArnieJB; 11-30-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my new #4 wallet in grass and I love it. Itís so cute. My motivation for purchasing this minimalist wallet will be for use at theme parks. My family has annual passes at the Disney parks and visit quite often. Although I rarely carry cash, I do like to keep a few bucks with me just in case. And even though I can link a credit card to my Magicband, I prefer to carry a couple of credit cards with me instead. In order to get discounts on merchandise and food, having the actual annual pass is required, as is a photo ID. So the pictures below are essentially what I need to carry at Disney World.

I chose the #4 wallet because of its loop. I am hoping to use a 16Ē keystrap to either loop it around a belt loop while the wallet sits in my pocket or to use in my Travel Cubelet. Mr. pammy gave me the idea of using the keystrap to secure the wallet. Because he is prone to migraines, he always carries his meds with him. For a day at the park, in his pocket he has a first aid pouchkin with an attached keystrap, which makes it very easy to access at the onset of a headache.

I would have liked to have tried the #1 and 2 wallets; however, since they do not have the loop, it was #4 for me. In the future, I hope those wallets have the option to purchase with and without the loop.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-wallet-1-jpgNik's New Minimalist Wallets-wallet-2-jpgNik's New Minimalist Wallets-wallet-3-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @pammy,

The Keystraps with split-O-ring ends are another possibility -- you could hook the split O-ring onto the webbing loop. Then, you also have the possibility of doubling up/looping around the snaphook end. It's one of the configurations I considered when tying a cord around the elastic to attach to a keystrap, but the regular keystrap worked better in that case. You could also just use a Handle Loop and carry it wristlet style.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grabbed a #1 wallet because I really don't carry many cards or much cash on a daily basis, and I didn't need a clear pocket. I did immediately miss the security of an o-ring or strap, so I used the split-ring keystrap I got as a forum gift last year.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-20181129_180457-jpg
    Last edited by kieri; 11-30-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @pammy,

The Keystraps with split-O-ring ends are another possibility -- you could hook the split O-ring onto the webbing loop. Then, you also have the possibility of doubling up/looping around the snaphook end. It's one of the configurations I considered when tying a cord around the elastic to attach to a keystrap, but the regular keystrap worked better in that case. You could also just use a Handle Loop and carry it wristlet style.

HTH

moriond
    @moriond, thanks for the idea. I didnít think of using a split ring keystrap, although I should have because a coyote one accompanied the #4 wallet on its way here. Itís for Mr. pammy to use in his EDC GE S25. I will try it with my new wallet and order one for myself next time.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. My wallet (Grass #4) was supposed to arrive on Friday, but since Friday night the USPS tracking has said: ďIn Transit to Next Facility. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.Ē No location update since leaving the Seattle distribution center on Wednesday. Next time I wonít try to save money with USPS shipping (both the shipping cost itself and the purchase limit that kept me from adding to my order).

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teresapoet View Post
    Sigh. My wallet (Grass #4) was supposed to arrive on Friday, but since Friday night the USPS tracking has said: “In Transit to Next Facility. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.” No location update since leaving the Seattle distribution center on Wednesday. Next time I won’t try to save money with USPS shipping (both the shipping cost itself and the purchase limit that kept me from adding to my order).
    Exact same thing is happening to me! I live in Montana, so with USPS, it should take no longer than 3 days to arrive. My Dawn Cubelet has traveled to Minnesota, hung out there for a day or two, and will finally be delivered today. I was getting the same message as you @teresapoet.

I agree, next time I'll pay the extra $3 to ship UPS. I always get my items in 2 days then.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's lovely pictures are making me want this wallet in about four colors! (Maybe five.) But my minimalist-enough-for-me wallet is working well for my needs, so I don't think I have an actual use for one of these. Just color-lust and well-designed-bag-lust.

Forum Member
    Northwest Washington State
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my Nik's Minimalist Wallet #1 for one week as of today. It's perfect for what I carry -- half a dozen assorted cards, a couple of bills of currency, and a maybe a receipt or a check or something like that. After the first couple of days, I stopped bothering to use the elastic strap. And then I thought that it (the elastic) was kind of superfluous. In fifty years, I don't think I've ever had a wallet with any kind of closure, and this one certainly didn't seem to need it. Oh well, I thought. It doesn't hurt anything to have it sitting there unused.

Then this morning, I grabbed a handful of small currency -- maybe six bills -- from my desk drawer, folded them in thirds, and stuck them in my wallet for something I've got going on later today. And it was just enough to bulge the wallet enough that it tended to spring open slightly. I was so glad to have that elastic strap! I guess that's why Tom (and, in this case, Nik) is the designer and not me. And when those bills come out later today, the elastic strap will go back into reserve mode, waiting unobtrusively for the next time it's called on.

It really is the perfect minimalist wallet.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast