Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm super stoked that I was able to get a Coyote #4 this go around. Its going to be real stealthy inside my GES25...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    My new wallets arrived today!

Dawn #1 and Dawn #3. I currently use a trifold nylon REI wallet that's getting a bit beat up and I have it in my front jeans pocket. I don't need the attachment loop, so no need for #4. Weird travel, random cards I keep in a Pocket Pouch tethered in my pack (if I'm using one)...I also use one for business cards.

I would prefer #1 (no window pocket) but if I want to keep carrying all the cards I currently carry, then they fit easier in #3. Besides the outside pocket on #3, my perception is that the plastic window is just a touch looser/has more space, than the other nylon pocket, probably because of the seam required.
    Usually I walk around with no EDC bag physically on/with me... I carry my wallet, cash, badge, keys, and phone all attached to me (hey, I never said I was stylish - being an engineer is a good excuse - ahem).

Current carry is 4 cards w/raised numbers; 6 cards w/out raised numbers; 1 license; 2 paper cards; 1 quarter folded emergency $20 bill. Other cash I simply carry folded in half, in a back pocket. I pretty much wear jeans every day, even to work, so I actually have pockets!
    The cards all fit in #3 but I'd probably need to loose a card to fit in #1.

Current wallet next to #1 and #3:

Attachment 21456

#1 on edge - all cards, a bit too tight

Attachment 21457

#3 on edge - all cards, works best

Attachment 21458

On the first photo, you can see some discoloration on my REI wallet from jean dye... I expect as @Darcy mentioned, that may happen with the Dawn colour, but it doesn't bother me. I almost went for basic black, but Dawn is just too nice.

EDIT: couple more thoughts...I don't find the elastic to be annoying so far and the exterior pocket seems secure, possibly because I have the wallet packed pretty tight... and I hadn't noticed the NWSky aether 'pattern' on my new laundry cube, but it's very noticeable to me (in a good way) on the wallets
    Wow the Dawn looks alot darker than I thought. Does it really look like that?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windy city red View Post
    Wow the Dawn looks alot darker than I thought. Does it really look like that?
    That's a tough question due to lighting, your computer screen, how you see colour, etc... I think of Dawn as periwinkle with a touch more grey/deeper.

Your best bet is to ask Customer Service for a swatch of the fabric - they'll send it to you...

HTH
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF&CP; Blk/Canyon S19; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning cappuccino with Nik's Minimalist Wallet! :)
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4 in coyote ordered. I want to blame all of you, but I can’t. Really looking forward to getting it. :D

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as an aside: I loved the cards that came with the wallet with (staff?) drawings so much that I put them on business card magnets for my fridge :)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    as an aside: I loved the cards that came with the wallet with (staff?) drawings so much that I put them on business card magnets for my fridge :)
    Yay! It's cool you're making use of the cards. Our goal with the "packaging" of the wallets was to basically not have any packaging that couldn't be re-used. Admittedly, the card that identifies which wallet it is isn't the coolest, but maybe it can be used for a grocery list or the like....

Reuse ideas:

Keep in the wallet to have a mini notecard on which you can jot down ideas or write a note to leave for someone else.

Punch holes in the cards and use them as gift tags.

Use as a bookmark. Sometimes I'm inspired to take notes when I'm reading to remind myself to look up certain details in the book that catch my attention. Having a bookmark that I can write on makes it more likely I'll actually take the note / look up the detail later.

Pin on a bulletin board.

Adding to the list: put them on business card magnets for fridge art!

Credit to the artists of the first round of art cards:
    Kitties and Robots - Kat (TOM BIHN Customer Service)
    Landscape - Eachen Chen
    Bag Sketches - Dan Bransfield
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used a wallet for 6 months or so. I just put money and cards in my pocket. But now I'm in the market for a new wallet. Found some tips on choosing a decent one on https://www.bikerringshop.com/blogs/...on-accessories . And your recommendations are also highly appreciated.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just putting loose cards and cash in your pocket, you should probably look into a broccoli rubber band. Pretty tough to beat.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my Minimalist Wallet #4 in Dawn Ballistic and have to send a shoutout to the art card artists.

"Bag Sketches" and "Kitties and Robots" are delightful!

(Oh, and the wallet is great, too.)

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_1228-jpg

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_1229-jpg

I thought my previous wallet -- Waterfield Designs' black ballistic Finn Wallet -- was pretty compact and minimal (at least compared to what my friends carry around), but even that looks ginormously bulky in comparison to Nik's Wallet #4.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_1230-jpg

Scaling down wasn't painful... took a few minutes to consider what I wanted to jettison (mostly rewards cards), and I am already loving the compact form factor.

Kudos!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 12-17-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the art cards that come with the wallet as replacement luggage tag address cards.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the #4 in Dawn - fantastic wallet! I've recently tried minimalist leather wallets from another company (Andar). But they were hard to store cash/receipts in, and yet larger than Nik's wallet.

The more I've used my phone for NFC pay, the less I've needed in my wallet. And I love this ballistic fabric for a wallet!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, I mentioned that I would order a Nik Minimalist Wallet to carry my Global Entry card, and various airline cards with my Passport. A few comments: the Global Entry card can fit into the wallet inside its RFID card jacket. Also, the opened up wallet nicely matches the size of a U.S. Passport, and both fit easily into the original Passport Pouch. (They'll also obviously fit into the redesigned, larger Passport Pouch, but this works for me inside the RFID lining):

Pictures:

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_3782-jpg

This is the #2 Wallet in Viridian holding a Global Entry Card in its RFID sleeve. The original RFID blocking passport pouch in Northwest Sky is lying underneath it, and my passport is to the right.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_3783-jpg

You can see that the back of the open wallet is well matched to the size of the Passport. The issue I had with keeping my Global Entry card with my Passport is that the card tended to slip out.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_3784-jpg

Here they are (open wallet and passport) lined up together

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-img_3787-jpg

And it's easy to insert or pull out both wallet and passport from the Passport Pouch

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yay! It's cool you're making use of the cards. Our goal with the "packaging" of the wallets was to basically not have any packaging that couldn't be re-used. Admittedly, the card that identifies which wallet it is isn't the coolest, but maybe it can be used for a grocery list or the like....

Reuse ideas:

Keep in the wallet to have a mini notecard on which you can jot down ideas or write a note to leave for someone else.

Punch holes in the cards and use them as gift tags.

Use as a bookmark. Sometimes I'm inspired to take notes when I'm reading to remind myself to look up certain details in the book that catch my attention. Having a bookmark that I can write on makes it more likely I'll actually take the note / look up the detail later.

Pin on a bulletin board.

Adding to the list: put them on business card magnets for fridge art!

Credit to the artists of the first round of art cards:
    Kitties and Robots - Kat (TOM BIHN Customer Service)
    Landscape - Eachen Chen
    Bag Sketches - Dan Bransfield
    Thanks for the ideas, @Darcy!

I love the card art! We have three identical phones, each with a clear case. I just put the kittens and robots card in the case of my phone to identify mine. I'm going to see if my wife and son would like to add art to their phone cases when they wake up! :)
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the minimalist wallet was introduced, I didn’t see that I would have a need for it. Then I started reading the reviews and saw the possibilities. I have a Flipside wallet, which I love, but that’s for my license, ID, and bank cards; nothing else can fit. I had been keeping additional cards (library, Costco, Sam’s, etc) in a COW, but not completely happy with that. So I ordered the #1 in Island. It’s so tiny! I love it! I punched a hole in it, added a tiny grommet, and clipped it onto an Island split-ring Key Strap. My extra cards fill it nicely and it slides into a SK pocket easily. But I still had a mini OP for my backup cash and the OP does not slip into a SK pocket easily. Just received a Coyote #1 today; I made the same adjustment using a Coyote split-ring Key Strap. Both #1 wallets fit in one SK pocket, tethered to one o-ring...Perfection!Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-bbe2bce9-3778-471b-bfc5-ded65c60f6e9-jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast