Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    When the minimalist wallet was introduced, I didn’t see that I would have a need for it. Then I started reading the reviews and saw the possibilities. I have a Flipside wallet, which I love, but that’s for my license, ID, and bank cards; nothing else can fit. I had been keeping additional cards (library, Costco, Sam’s, etc) in a COW, but not completely happy with that. So I ordered the #1 in Island. It’s so tiny! I love it! I punched a hole in it, added a tiny grommet, and clipped it onto an Island split-ring Key Strap. My extra cards fill it nicely and it slides into a SK pocket easily. But I still had a mini OP for my backup cash and the OP does not slip into a SK pocket easily. Just received a Coyote #1 today; I made the same adjustment using a Coyote split-ring Key Strap. Both #1 wallets fit in one SK pocket, tethered to one o-ring...Perfection!
    The tiny grommets you added even match the wallets! I'm impressed.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excited when my wife surprised me with the wallet and then I guess my face showed disappointment when I realized it was the wrong version. Felt bad but I told her the great folks in Seattle will help with no hassle!
    Looks awesome and cant wait to use it soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
    Excited when my wife surprised me with the wallet and then I guess my face showed disappointment when I realized it was the wrong version. Felt bad but I told her the great folks in Seattle will help with no hassle!
    Looks awesome and cant wait to use it soon!

As anticipated, Kat took care of us...new wallets are on their way and I have the shipping label ready to go to send back the ones I got. Easy! Wish there were more companies with this level of service!

Original Ristretto, SuperEgo, Checkpoint Flyer, Brain Cell, New Ristretto, Empire Builder, Zephyr, Aeronaut 30, Aeronaut 45, Brain Bag, Night Flight Travel, travel trays, laundry bags, stuff sacks, snake charmer, etc...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Island in the Desert

I had been thinking about getting a smaller wallet than the leather one I've had for years so when I saw the colorful little Nik's wallets, I ordered one right away and have been using it for a month and love it (mine is a number 4 in Island in 210 Ballistic, my wife got the same but in Grass). Here it is posing on top of my Guide's Pack, good and dusty courtesy of the Sonoran Desert.

As you can see the wallet is about as tall as a saguaro cactus, taken on the Marcus Landslide Trail in McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Id guess this specimen was about 30 feet tall but Im not good at estimating distances, so take that with a grain of salt.

As another example, here you can see the wallet is about the same size as Toms Thumb, a massive rock formation on the nearby Toms Thumb Trail. And yet somehow the wallet still fits in my pocket with minimal thickness and weight. Not sure how that works, but I love it!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boolie, love the size comparisons! Big as a saguaro, small as Tom’s Thumb.

I just got back from gifting one of the wallets (Cloud#4). The happy recipient said, “I’ve completely transferred to my new Tom Bihn minimalist wallet. I can fit more stuff into it than my old minimalist wallet-which may be against the ethos of the minimalist wallet set”! Haha.

(DH also switched over to a NMW - new Nordic #3 - and seems quite happy with his new EDC. "Am I coming over to the Dark Side?" he asked me, as he transferred his stuff. Why, yes. Yes indeed. :D)
    Last edited by haraya; 01-03-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new here, but very big fan of minimalist wallets.
    I regularly change my wallets since my childhood and fell in love with minimalist wallets.
    This is the one I'm using now:
    Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-untitled-jpg

Also, check out this blog because I'm regularly buying from their list.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Im looking at getting a #3 as soon as theyre back in stock, but I had a question about the urethane panel on it. Perhaps the design staff can chime in.

How is it holding up so far? Ive had issues with some (cheap) urethane wallet panels that get yellow or brittle in the past, and Im sure this was accounted for during design. My wife has a transparent drivers license panel on her pocketbook, which shes had for ages without these issues, but she did bring up that since Id be carrying it right next to me, and thus subjecting it to body heat, this might prematurely age the material.

So... any issues so far?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had clear-bottom Yarn Stuff Sacks for 10 years and the urethane is holding up just fine. The batches of urethane have varied a bit over the years; most are about as clear as when I got them, some of them were slightly cloudy right off the bat (also less “sticky”), and others started clear but have become somewhat cloudy, which doesn’t bother me personally so I’ve never bothered to try some of the suggested solutions (I believe TB recommended isopropyl alcohol, but I’m not sure). But none of mine have become either brittle nor yellowed.

No body heat exposure with these though, so can’t speak to that. My #4 wallet is in and out of my pocket, and after a month it still looks new, but that’s not a lot of time.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone explain the difference between 210 Ballistic and 400 Halcyon. Trying to make a decision which material wallet to get. I am pretty rough on my stuff usually.

Thanks
    Last edited by verysimple; 02-14-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    Can someone explain the difference between 210 Ballistic and 400 Halcyon. Trying to make a decision which material wallet to get. I am pretty rough on my stuff usually.

Thanks
    When you have a moment, check out the material glossary on the two materials
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials#ballistic210
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials#oghalcyon

The 210d ballistic is used for small bags, bag linings, and accessories. The 400d halcyon is sometimes used for those things and also as a lightweight (but slightly less robust) exterior alternative to the 1050d or 525d ballistics. The halcyon is also a fabric designed to be ripstop, by the very weave.

My opinion is that from a practical point of view, for a minimalist wallet, it's a bit more about the literal feel of the fabric and which aesthetic you prefer... though the 400d halcyon should theoretically be a bit more robust... YMMV depending on how you use & carry it.

FWIW, I bought the #3 in Dawn 210d ballistic and have been carrying it in my front jeans pocket every day from the moment I received it. The only thing I've noticed is that it catches pocket lint, like every other wallet I've carried...
    Last edited by G42; 02-14-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Steel/Island A45&Pilot; Steel/Solar WF; oNordic/Solar CP; Steel Halcyon/Solar S19; Navy/NWSky A30; Blk Halcyon/NWSky SA; Olive/Canyon oL12; Nebulous/Island B L15

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. So I travel. A lot. And to interesting countries such as Mongolia, Kazakhstan, or Turkmenistan. Meaning, countries where I will never need more than a credit card and something to hold banknotes and my hotel keycard.

Enter Nik's Minimalist Wallet. I was a bit sceptical because of the price tag. But the wallet is well made, like everything I have ever seen made by Tom Bihn. Still relatively expensive compared to my regular travel purse (a Tatonka Euro Wallet RFID-B which I highly recommend to anyone who (also) needs a regular wallet). But horses for courses, and Nik's Minimal Wallet does exactly what I want it to do, and it has become part of my regular travel setup (Tri-Star with a Brain Cell (TB should never have stopped making these!), packing cubes, a ton of key straps, various purses, and so on).

Well done, Tom Bihn. Well done indeed.

Nik's New Minimalist Wallets-2019-03-18-21-09-33-jpg

The picture was taken at Mzeum Kvhz s tterem, a fantastic restaurant near Budapest's stunning old town. When in town, go there. You will not be disappointed, I think. We certainly were not.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7