Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45

Hi fellow Bihnians, since my new RB36 arrived just yesterday I took a couple of pics side by side to the A45, as some are debating about the comparison of the two...
    I packed both of them with two reasonably full A45 packing cubes in the main compartment. In the A45 I added an insulated jacket in the main compartment, an A45 travel laundry stuff sack and an end pocket packing cube in the side pockets. In the RB36 I added a A45 end pocket packing cube and a crumpler bag for toiletries.

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-2-jpg

the difference in the dimensions are subtle but noticeable and they make a big difference in terms of the volume.

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-1-jpg
    Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-4-jpg
    Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-3-jpg

Ok, let's unpack the RB36

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-5-jpg

as others have remarked already: the A45 packing cubes fit nicely inside the main compartment...

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-6-jpg

you can stack two of them easily

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-7-jpg

The A45 end pocket packing cube (loaded with a pair of my running shoes size 11) fits in the end pocket, while my toiletries went in the other end pocket...

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-8-jpg

To me the main difference - besides the 9 liters in volume - is that the bags are built for different purposes. The A45 is a dedicated travel bag with a lot of details that are very handy while packing the bag or storing it in the overhead compartment of a plane (e.g. handles where you need them). The RB36 is a multi purpose bag that is lighter and a bit more basic in terms of design. However, both are great!

Road Buddy 36 vs. A45-a45_rb36-9-jpg
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome photos there, @bartleby.
    The comparison are very neatly presented. Appreciate your time to share them here!

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    To me the main difference - besides the 9 liters in volume - is that the bags are built for different purposes. The A45 is a dedicated travel bag with a lot of details that are very handy while packing the bag or storing it in the overhead compartment of a plane (e.g. handles where you need them). The RB36 is a multi purpose bag that is lighter and a bit more basic in terms of design. However, both are great!
    Looking at the bags, compare them one another through your photos. Yeah, I absolutely agree.
    Both have their own respective awesomeness such as the open pocket in the main compartment and also a horizontal zip mesh pocket on the exterior of one side of the side compartment. I owned previous Gen A45 and my main intention has been one-bagging country to country. Though currently, it has changed as more of a duffel state due traveling with toddler. The Road Buddy sure present an attractive solution for my scenario. Perhaps, one day!
    Last edited by weirdguy; 12-02-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @weirdguy!

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    I owned previous Gen A45 and my main intention has been one-bagging country to country. Though currently, it has changed as more of a duffel state due traveling with toddler. The Road Buddy sure present an attractive solution for my scenario. Perhaps, one day!
    Yes, certainly the A45 is a great travel companion for one-bag travelling (although I prefer to have a second item for my personal belongings whenever possible...)
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces