Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Cafe Bag as a minimalist camera bag

I finally figured out a good way to make a minimalist camera bag out of my Original Halcyon SCB. I hadn’t been using it much, so I thought I would give it a new purpose as a minimalist camera bag.

Small Cafe Bag as a minimalist camera bag-61b6926c-9711-4fbe-acb9-3b7bf0fe1ca2-jpeg

This is a Tamrac Goblin Pouch (2,5 litres) which is a pretty good fit in the SCB. My camera slides in and out easily and fits in there even with the lens hood attached. I tethered the sides to the o-rings with s-biners for easy access. There’s still enough room for phone, wallet, keys and a few essentials and you gain even more space when you pull the drawstring. Of course this is still no heavy duty camera bag, but I’m confident that I won’t damage my camera carrying it around in the bag.

Thanks again to AshleyM who gave me the idea to look for something a bit more soft sided for an insert!

Here it is closed:

Small Cafe Bag as a minimalist camera bag-63bc8ab1-bdcb-41b6-9e90-e1c8bf3c2fe0-jpeg
    Last edited by b1gsky; 01-02-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Getting the images to work.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a perfect use for that very versatile bag.

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart!

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about doing something like this, but how do you deal with the flap? Do you usually carry it with the flap back and open? Or do you need to make it an extended two handed motion to draw? I've had this same challenge with messenger bags which is why I've hesitated on any type of flap-top camera bag.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I've thought about doing something like this, but how do you deal with the flap? Do you usually carry it with the flap back and open? Or do you need to make it an extended two handed motion to draw? I've had this same challenge with messenger bags which is why I've hesitated on any type of flap-top camera bag.
    It's not really an issue because I'm not putting it away and taking it out all the time. My camera is lightweight and I don't have a problem carrying it on the strap around my neck for a while (sometimes I put one of my arms through the neck strap and carry it crossbody style). I usually use both hands to take it out, but you could do it with one: unbuckle the flap of the SCB and just maneuver the camera under it and into the bag. There's no need to move the flap back, with the insert tethered to the sides and wide open it's difficult to miss when you put the camera in. It helps that my camera is not a tight fit in the SCB and fits into the insert with room to spare.