Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    These are my two Luminaries (Nebulous Grey/Cloud for the L12; Aubergine/Dawn for the L15)
    Attachment 22049

HTH

moriond
    Wait, you have an Aubergine/Dawn Luminary?! Is that a thing? And is this going to happen for us too? If yes then I will hold off ordering a Luminary now and wait until that color combo is available!

Lexington KY USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Thanks for the review! I especially enjoyed the volume measurement in toilet paper rolls, it reminds me of the posts @janine used to make measuring bag capacity in toilet paper rolls and watermelons. How many watermelons can we fit in an L15? We might have to wait until summer to find out. (Unless someone in the southern hemisphere would like to check on that?)

I wouldn't have thought of comparing the L15 with the Pop Tote--interesting! I really like the L15 (as I said in my own review) but the Pop Tote turned out not to work for me. I tried one but discovered I only like tote bags for groceries, so now the Pop Tote belongs to my partner who is happy to use it as his personal item when he flies. So I wouldn't have thought of comparing them, but once you pointed out the comparison I can see it. They're both sleek.
    /glides in/

Hmm....

/glides out/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the L15 for a week now, and reading other reviews for insights into ways to use and carry it. One thing no one has mentioned, unless I missed it, is that the straps are covered in a super soft material that's noticeably smoother than the straps on my S19. It's almost silky. I notice and enjoy it every time I pick it up.

I've discovered that I can maximize the space and make things easier to access if I use my tallest, skinniest accessories. My water bottle that's too tall for my S19? That's the one to carry in the L15. I'll definitely be getting a ghost whale pouch (or two) to use in it, and I expect the proportions will suit it very well.

Today I took it to a dog training session. I usually carry my Pop Tote for these because it's the right size to hold all the things, I don't mind if it gets dropped or dirty, and it's comfortable and easy to hold onto. I never would have thought to carry my S19 because it's usually full of my work stuff, and unpacking or repacking all my work stuff from those little pockets is a pain. The lack of many pockets on the L15 actually makes it easier to adapt from one purpose to another. And because it's a comfortable backpack, I carried it the whole time, hands free and didn't think twice about following the pups around with it on my back.

Luminary 15 pReview-mvimg_20190223_114126-jpg

Okay now for a slightly fruitcakey observation.

I notice that certain possessions bring out different aspects of my personality, and I tend to think of those objects as having those personality traits. Maybe I'm projecting or anthropomorphizing, or maybe there's energy inherent in objects, put there by their path to existence, through the hands of many humans. They're made of matter, matter is made of energy, and energy cannot be created or destroyed but it comes from lots of places... who am I to say? Anyway, the long and short of it is that I notice certain Things have qualities that influence how I feel.

Which is where I'm coming from where I say the Luminary 15 is a patient bag. It's ready to wait and see what happens, and then go with the flow.

The A30, by contrast, has a much more forward energy. It cries, "Pack me!" and is eager to go.

The S19 feels rugged and hard working, ready to dig in and harden the callouses. It says, "Let's do this!"

They're both rushing in compared to the Luminary, which sees wisdom in surveying the terrain before stepping forward.

FWIW, that's my experience.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Marsupialization

L15 in the Nordic A30
    You could totally pack it flat in the bottom of the A30 if you open the internal dividers.
    Attachment 21944
    Thanks for trying fitting the Luminary15 in the A30. I was just about to ask the forum if the Luminary would fit as I'm looking to buy the A30. I have the old Luminary but debating selling it to buy the L12. I just absolutely love the shoulder straps for a day pack while exploring a city.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone with the L15 have a small cafe bag as well? Iím thinking the larger luminary might be a good work bag for me if it comfortably fits a scb. I switch my plo mostly between a sk and a scb. Iíve seen that the side kick fits well with a water bottle and few other things, which is how I would carry it; plo, water bottle, snacks or small lunch, maybe a light sweater.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, here's the SCB next to and then inside the L15
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-scb-jpg

Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-scb-jpg

Because the L15 is curved, there's room in the middle for a not huge water bottle, and of course plenty of room on top for a jacket/sweater.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gathiel View Post
    Does anyone with the L15 have a small cafe bag as well? I’m thinking the larger luminary might be a good work bag for me if it comfortably fits a scb. I switch my plo mostly between a sk and a scb. I’ve seen that the side kick fits well with a water bottle and few other things, which is how I would carry it; plo, water bottle, snacks or small lunch, maybe a light sweater.
    Another photo to go with @Lia's

Olive/Canyon SCB stuff with towels but not completely full... and a Cubelet tucked on top to give you an idea of how much space is left

Luminary 15 pReview-img_20190223_114312-1-jpg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemo View Post
    Thanks for trying fitting the Luminary15 in the A30. I was just about to ask the forum if the Luminary would fit as I'm looking to buy the A30. I have the old Luminary but debating selling it to buy the L12. I just absolutely love the shoulder straps for a day pack while exploring a city.
    The pictures of bags in other bags are the ones that help me most in determining how a bag will function, so I wanted to provide as many as possible. Glad it helped!

The L12 is shorter than the L15. I think I read on the forums that the old Luminary fit in the A30 if you just undo one side of the internal dividers.

I took the foam back padding out of my A30, but packing the L15 like the picture shows adds that little bit of padding and structure. So it's kind of a two-fer: a day bag that also makes the A30 more comfortable to carry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both! That’s exactly what I was hoping to see. Bag-in-bag pictures also help me the most. It gives me perspective when I can see something I know against something I don’t. The pic with the cublet was especially helpful. It almost looks like a small snake charmer would squish on top. Does that seem feasible?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gathiel View Post
    Thank you both! That’s exactly what I was hoping to see. Bag-in-bag pictures also help me the most. It gives me perspective when I can see something I know against something I don’t. The pic with the cublet was especially helpful. It almost looks like a small snake charmer would squish on top. Does that seem feasible?
    It fits quite well, actually, thanks for asking - I hadn't thought to try this yet!

That's a not packed full SSC on top of the SCB...fits well in that curved area and the L15 zips closed fine, so there's room for the SSC to be full I think

Luminary 15 pReview-img_20190223_122854-1-jpg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a great setup. I appreciate the quick photo responses!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, today I exceeded the useful capacity of the L15 and had to switch back to my S19 for work. Here's what put me over the top:

Usual load of laptop, course materials, lunch, tea, keys, pens/markers, DLHWOI, etc.
    Plus extra clothes and make-up for a fancy presentation added to the end of the day.
    Plus, instead of my MIDI keyboard, I need to carry a 2" thick stack of musical scores to class.

I could have carried the usual stuff in the L15 and put the fancy extras in a small ZTSB, but I already have my PT full of clothes to drop at the dry cleaner, and I'm not gonna carry three bags when I can just carry two if I just switch to the bigger backpack.

It doesn't mean the L15 isn't great, it just was never designed like the S19 to swallow ridiculous piles of stuff. The L15 is designed to carry normal every-day needs, and it's better at that than the S19. They really are very different bags; and I'm glad I have both.

I was among the people who are thinking, "I already love my S19. Do I really need an L15?" Turns out, yes. They serve different purposes. My initial impression was that the L15 was more like the PT than the S19, and that's still true. It fills that gap for when I want the PT for its looks, but want a backpack for its comfort and freedom of movement.

p.s. A ghost whale pouch would have come in really handy today. Excited to add a few to my collection!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another overnight trip, and the L15 is officially my go-to bag to pack Everything I'll Need Once I'm at the Hotel: pajamas, sandals, toiletries, and change of underthings in a packing cube, cubelet with meds/first aid, and a hat in the main compartment. Laptop in the back, charging cables in the side pockets.

It really is ideal for carrying a full day's worth of stuff you don't need to access twenty times a day.

Luminary 15 pReview-chi3-small-jpg

Last time I use the L15 for an overnight, I used a Pop Tote for my Everything I Need En Route bag. This time I brought my black ballistic small zip-top shop bag -- my first time traveling with the ZTSB. It's great! Just as easy to carry as the PT, and I don't miss the rigid structure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I somewhat regret not pre-ordering now... the thing that held me up was the water bottle. It feels like it eats up too much space for me (my daily lunch is a large flat rectangular bag). However, I keep seeing the dawn color and I'm flopping between it being a very light purple or a pale "dark" blue (if that makes any sense). What is your sense of the color? After seeing more comparisons against an S19 (have the S25 now), I'm appreciating the sleeker look.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dawn cubelet and a Dawn PCSB (as of today) as well as the lining in the L15. I love it. It is hard to describe -- yes, it's light purple, but it's a smokey blue-gray lavender that reads as a neutral, IMO.

The water bottle situation is not ideal -- I love the external pocket in my S19 -- but the trade-off is the sleek appearance. The option of zipping or unzipping the bottle pocket makes it a thousand times more functional than if that pocket were permanently attached.

There's so much love for the L15, I expect you'll have another chance to give it a try in the not too distant future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast