Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @Lia alluded to, the Luminaries aren't going anywhere... this first pre-order was to give everyone at shot at the colour combo's and let TB know what to make. The L12 and L15 will be ongoing items. The colour combos will change over time, as they do for all items, but Dawn is so popular that they delayed it's retirement, so I think if you want one in Dawn, you should see it become available sometime May onwards.

On the Luminary pages, you can enter your email for when it will be 'in stock' as a normal item.

Oh, and FWIW, I think Dawn is a form of periwinkle colour....

ETA: the thing about the water bottle section is that it's discretionary and not just for water bottles... you can put 3DOCs and umbrellas, and other stuff in the sections or unzip and just move the material out of the way...
    If I'm carrying a full load, I usually put my leak proof 16oz Nalgene bottle sideways at the very top of the load in my L12 and L15. Only when I'm carry smaller amounts/EDC do I bother to use the water bottle section...and I sometimes use it without zipping it in place. HTH
    Last edited by G42; 03-05-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm packing for a complicated trip this week that starts in a car but ends on a train home, and I definitely want a backpack on the train. So I grab my S19 and start packing, but I start wishing less of the space was small compartments, and thinking it would be better for overnight to have one open compartment.

Duh, I have that bag. L15 to the rescue once more. Specifically, it's another L15/PT combo trip, but I only figured that out after trying eight other things. Next time: default to L15/PT and save myself some time.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Another L15 review

I received my Luminary 15 and I was initially very excited. I like the general size and the slip pocket along the back.
    However, one thing I couldn't see in the photos and I missed from the description is the water bottle holder attached with a zipper. It's right in the middle of the bag, and the zipper would catch on things in the bag when unzipped. This makes the bag unusable for me, and I am returning it.

Pro: nice color combination of grey and dawn. the photos online do not do it justice.
    Great to have zipper pull cords in side pocket. Wish I had known and could request colors for them.

Cons: still a tiny bit too small for MacBook air.
    Water bottle holder attached with zipper is a complete error for my use. Zipped in, it takes too much space. Zipped out, there''s a big zipper/zipper teeth that would snag the sweater I tossed in the bag.

Thank you for sending it to me as an early bird. That was a great treat. I am keeping the zip top tote bags which I love.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgal View Post
    I received my Luminary 15 and I was initially very excited. I like the general size and the slip pocket along the back.
    However, one thing I couldn't see in the photos and I missed from the description is the water bottle holder attached with a zipper. It's right in the middle of the bag, and the zipper would catch on things in the bag when unzipped. This makes the bag unusable for me, and I am returning it.

Pro: nice color combination of grey and dawn. the photos online do not do it justice.
    Great to have zipper pull cords in side pocket. Wish I had known and could request colors for them.

Cons: still a tiny bit too small for MacBook air.
    Water bottle holder attached with zipper is a complete error for my use. Zipped in, it takes too much space. Zipped out, there''s a big zipper/zipper teeth that would snag the sweater I tossed in the bag.

Thank you for sending it to me as an early bird. That was a great treat. I am keeping the zip top tote bags which I love.
    Welcome, @jgal! I'm glad the other bags work for you; too bad the Luminary didn't, but since it didn't, it's good you recognized that while you were still able to return it. Regarding the zipper pull cords: all TB bags with zippers come with that bag of black zipper pull cords, and other colors are available for purchase--but even if you purchase other colors, you still get that bag of black zipper pull cords tucked into each bag. I've never asked why, but I think it's because it's just more efficient for them to do it that way.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Yes, but... what the heck am I going to do with all the broccoli?! ;)
    Soups, gratins, salads, pickled...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gathiel View Post
    Thank you both! Thatís exactly what I was hoping to see. Bag-in-bag pictures also help me the most. It gives me perspective when I can see something I know against something I donít. The pic with the cublet was especially helpful. It almost looks like a small snake charmer would squish on top. Does that seem feasible?
    I think a Small Q-Kit could fit on the right side of the Cubelet and a Mini Q-Kit on the other side.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    How about a 100% free way to keep those straps under control? Use the thick rubber bands that bind broccoli together in the grocery store. They come in all colors and they really hold well, are easy to remove, and they are not hard like the web dominators are. When I used the web dominators with my backpacks, that hard plastic always seemed to rub against my arm and elbows and it was uncomfortable. I ended up giving them away.

Attachment 22056

Attachment 22057

The vegetable bands are such a great idea! I save them for craft, and this use is so smart!

I concur with others that hair bands are no longer made to last, but are very soft and easy to replace.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking my own advice: packing for a four-day trip, flying cross country, I defaulted to my L15/PT combo, with everything I need at my destination in the L15, and everything I need enroute in the PT, which will also double as a shopping bag and dump for any random stuff I inevitably get saddled with along the way. To make this even easier, I got a long, skinny packing cube for my clothes to use the vertical space efficiently.

Luminary 15 pReview-mvimg_20190428_185840-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    To make this even easier, I got a long, skinny packing cube for my clothes to use the vertical space efficiently.
    Definitely let us know how this works out, esp those long EC tube packing cubes. I have one but it's currently holding all the extra TB waist straps, pulls, etc.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3