Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 15 pReview

I’m so excited and feel super lucky Countron let me have an L15 to preview! Hopefully others can benefit from my bag geekiness, and decide if it’s a bag you need or want. I have a lot to say about this bag, but I'll try to break it into chunks. For now:

Aesthetic

Luminary 15 pReview-1s-jpg

The original Luminary would never have worked for me. Any time I wanted to carry that little, I’d use a tote bag. I was curious about the L15 because I like the look so much, but would it be practical??? Turns out, YES!

I chose Cloud/Dawn for my Luminary 15 for stealth and neutrality. It’s my first time seeing Cloud in person, and it’s even nicer in than any photos – not flat greyish white, but a rich, saturated silver. The look is so sleek and nice, somehow less “backpacky" than the S19. Do I remember correctly that the blog post about the release said they planned for the back of the bag to be black, and by happy accident made it all the same color? I frikkin love it all one color.

Luminary 15 pReview-2s-jpg

I feel like it’s in the same league as the Pop Tote, the backpack analogue to the Pop Tote. You know how, if you like the DLBC but want a backpack, you go for the DLBP? Well, the L15 is the backpack for people who like the Pop Tote. They both can go camping or to a nice dinner.

Only thing I’d change: the shoulder strap dangles are suuuuuuuper long. I did the hack with extra sliders on my S19 to keep the dangles tidy, but there’s way too much dangle and too little attachment strap to keep these from hanging low. Maybe I’ll try to get up the nerve to cut them one day.

Luminary 15 pReview-2bs-jpg

Size: I’m 5’7”, American dress size 12-14. I generally try to carry the smallest bag I can get away with, just big enough to carry my computer. Which the L15 is! It is quite tall – taller than the S19, and taller than I’d usually want – but narrow and low-profile.

Luminary 15 pReview-worn-coat-little-jpg

Modifications I made: I removed the sternum and waist straps because, unless I filled the L15 with gold ingots, this bag will never be heavy enough to need the extra straps, and I prefer the look of fewer dangles. Maybe if I wear it for miles and miles of walking, like for a day at an amusement park or sightseeing, I might put the sternum strap back. Also, I added reflective cord to the Right and Left Pocket zipper pulls because I kept grabbing them when I wanted to close the main compartment. The cords indicate “this is not the zip you’re looking for.”

Verdict on looks: I really like it. The fabric-colored piping is a big improvement over the original Luminary, IMO. It has the “don’t mind me, I’m just the perfect bag that looks like NBD” secret agent sort of excellence that TB bags have. The looks impact the functionality, because there are some jobs that require a more polished look than my S19, you know? But function will be in a future episode. For today: pictures!

Luminary 15 pReview-beach-bag-jpg

Comparisons
    Capacity: about 7 rolls of toilet paper. This is two stacks of three rolls, and you could stick a 7th sideways across the top.

Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-tp-s-jpg

Size comparison to the S19
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-s19-s-jpg

Size comparison to the S19 & DLBP
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-s19-dlbp-s-jpg

Greys: Cloud L15, Nebulous S19, Steel OP
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-greys-s-jpg

Size comparison to the Pop Tote
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-pt-s-jpg

Marsupialization

L15 in the Nordic A30
    You could totally pack it flat in the bottom of the A30 if you open the internal dividers.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-a30-s-jpg

Or carry it in an OLSB. Kind of.
    Luminary 15 pReview-comparison-olsb-s-jpg

Those are the bags I have that the L15 fits inside. Here are the bags that fit inside it!
    You can stuff an SSB in the Right Pocket, but it's bulky.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-ztssb-open-jpg

You can also just barely fit a 3DOC in that pocket. But I wouldn't recommend it.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-3doc-right-open-s-jpg

A Small OP would also have to be stuffed awkwardly in the Right Pocket. I wouldn't do it.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-small-op-right-jpg

What I've been carrying in the Right Pocket is a pen/pencil OP. I need it, and it fits perfectly. And I can still put my phone and wallet in there, too.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-pencil-op-right-s-jpg

In the smaller Left Pocket, I've been carrying my laptop power cable loose or in a sz1 SS.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-sz1ss-left-open-jpg

I could also carry a mini OP with USB cables.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-mini-op-left-s-jpg

I would not put a mini OP in the inside zip pocket. But I use that pocket the same way I use a mini OP.
    Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-mini-op-inside-s-jpg

Okay, those are the photos from my first few days. I'll have info on function coming next.
    Attached Images Attached Images Luminary 15 pReview-marsupial-ztssb-open-jpg 
    Last edited by Lia; 02-19-2019 at 05:33 AM.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I saw were pictures of the beach, are there backpacks in there?

I have the Daylight Backpack and I see you do, too. Sometimes I overcommit when I pack the DLBP and I’m kind of hoping the L15 will provide the structure and organization improvement because I’m not interested in moving to a Synapse. Note that I’m a work-from-home-home-and-coffee-shop person not a full-bore commuter.

Any thoughts on the L15 being the answer to a little too much stuff for the DLBP days?

Thanks for the review!
    EDC: Black Halcyon DLBP | Nebulous Gray Luminary 15 ~ Work Carry: Black Ristretto ~ Fun Carry: Black Medium Yeoman Duffel

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't use the DLBP -- I recently bought the Nordic one to give as a gift to someone with a birthday in March, so I happened to have it in my house to compare the size. My sister uses a DLBP and describes it as "perfect for just about everything." She had no interest in the L15. DLPBP is too tall for my taste, and I want more organization, especially for carrying my laptop.

As for whether it carries MORE stuff than a DLBP, I sort of doubt it. I'll try some comparison packs when I get home, but I mean, technically the DLBP is 16.5L, so I'd expect it to carry LESS. But I believe the L15 it might carry it better and more accessibly, not all piled up in a tall, skinny bag. Also, the L15 has more comfortable straps and a padded back.

Both bags seems to require some strategic packing to maximize their capacity. So, if the DLBP is bursting full and doesn't fit enough, the L15 won't either. But if the DLBP just gets crowded and inconvenient to find things in, the L15 could solve that, especially if your carry includes a computer.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s exactly it: I was hoping that despite the somewhat smaller volume, the L15 would allow a little more strategic packing. It’s those days when I have the big iPad Pro (work), the personal iPad, Snake Charmer, etc., where it gets a little unwieldy.

Thanks!
    EDC: Black Halcyon DLBP | Nebulous Gray Luminary 15 ~ Work Carry: Black Ristretto ~ Fun Carry: Black Medium Yeoman Duffel

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great review. Got my eye on this bag for sure (in Aubergine, although I do like the Cloud!)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great pictures and review, @Lia. A couple of quick comments:

Only thing I’d change: the shoulder strap dangles are suuuuuuuper long. I did the hack with extra sliders on my S19 to keep the dangles tidy, but there’s way too much dangle and too little attachment strap to keep these from hanging low. Maybe I’ll try to get up the nerve to cut them one day.
    This extra shoulder strap length is much, much, much more noticeable on the Luminary 15 than on the Luminary 12. I assumed that it was to accommodate much larger (bulkier as well as taller people) who might be interested in this bag. (I'm just under 5'4" for reference.)

As an alternative suggestion accessory for your power brick stored in the Luminary side pockets you could try the Q-Kit (the (larger) one labeled "Small" as opposed to "Mini" on the drop down menu). It will fit in the Luminary Side pockets (in both sizes of the current version -- not the original Luminary), and the Ballistic Nylon may offer more structured protection than the Travel Stuff Sacks.

HTH

mo

ETA: @REP you can fit a Snake Charmer in the L15 -- depending on how you want to use your space, you can even fit the Large Snake Charmer horizontally at the bottom of the L15, but I'd probably organize this differently.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the ITW Web Dominators on all my packs to roll up the excess webbing out of the way... several someones in this Forum recommended them originally

https://www.amazon.com/ITW-Web-Domin...web_2594176011

I find these more useful than cutting the straps. When I wore the L15 to work last week in CA, I didn't wear a coat, so the straps were cinched to a certain point... this week I'm in Portland OR for work and it's around freezing in the morning, so I'm wearing a fleece. I had to unwind the dominators a bit to accommodate the coat... so I'd rather do that than cut the webbing.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review. Itís been very helpful. Iíve had little time to think about the upcoming debut, just trying to make a list of PCSBs and the Shop Bags I wanted, with the vague idea I would consider the Luminary 15 in the future. I figured after people had real life experiences with the new Luminary I would give it a second look. You see, I have the original Luminary, but it is too small to work for me so Iíve never used it and it sits NWT in its box. After looking at reviews, now I think the Luminary 15 solves a lot of my issues that I was having with the original Luminary. Now have to decide which color combo to choose. Thanks!
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Episode 2: Function

Episode 2: Function
    Part 1, “What I Need to Carry”

First String Things I Can’t Leave Home Without
    Glasses, keys, phone (Pixel 2 in an Otterbox case), minimal wallet.

At home, I keep these things in a wristlet I think of as my “don’t leave home without it” (DLHWOI) wristlet. Then I just move it from bag to bag depending on my needs that day. It’s about the size of a 3DOC, and if I want to grab the Luminary and run, I can drop my DLHWOI in the main compartment.

When I travel, I stash these items stashed in the pockets of one big bag that I use for everything. Ever since I got the Pop Tote, it’s my go-to for this purpose (and almost everything else). I would absolutely consider using the L15 in place of the PT. I put the car key in the zip pocket (proximity key I never have to touch), glasses in the Left Pocket, phone & wallet in the Right Pocket. FTR, the Pixel 2 fits fine in the smaller Left Pocket.

In terms of how and where to put things in the L15, I agree with other reviewers that it would be nice to have the main compartment O-rings higher up. Also, the O-rings in the Right and Left Pockets are hard to reach. The strategy I've been using is to attach a key ring to each, and then just change out the OP at the end of the key strap.

Second String Priority Things I Usually Carry (AKA Why I Wanted the L15)
    The DLHWOI isn’t usually enough, because I usually need to carry my 12.3” Surface Pro 4 and a travel mug.

I love the laptop compartment. I slide the Surface in horizontally then tilt it vertical. It took a few tries to get good at the movement, but after a little practice, it’s a really satisfying gesture.

Luminary 15 pReview-3s-jpg

I usually carry my Surface in a padded case, but the case doesn’t fit in the L15 laptop compartment. Not even close. So, even a slightly larger laptop would be a problem in the L15. But it’s great for me. Since the compartment itself is padded, and it’s nice to not have to take the computer out of the bag and then also take it out of a case. One less step, ya know? And it’s awesome having a separate slot just for the computer, away from other stuff. Love it!

Luminary 15 pReview-4s-jpg

Measurements for reference
    Luminary 15 pReview-5s-jpg

Worth noting that my laptop won’t go in the slot when the rest of the bag is packed full. So, the computer doesn’t have to be the first thing that goes in, but it can’t be the last thing. The Left Pocket is perfect for my laptop charging cable just packed loose if I know I’ll need quick access to it, otherwise it goes in a Sz1 SS in the main compartment.

As for the water bottle situation, my ideal is the S19’s. The L15 bottle situation comes close. In the car, when the bag was on the passenger seat, I wished my travel mug wasn’t all the way inside the main compartment. I also worry about spills. A travel mug recently leaked inside my S19 and everything in the front pockets was coffee-soaked, but the main compartment was 100% dry. A spill in the L15 could be more of a problem. But if I’m as careful as I should be, the webbing pocket keeps the bottle upright, and all is well. And it’s a tradeoff for the sleek looks and lack of many zippers.

Pajamas, Contigo travel mug, Viridian 3DOC (contains socks & undies)
    Luminary 15 pReview-packed-1-jpg

Episode 2: Function.
    Part 2 “where I’ve carried it so far”

In the Field 1: EDC
    Day 2 with the Luminary 15, I needed to run some errands, personal and work-related. So I stashed my wallet/keys/phone/glasses/laptop/travel mug as I described above. I also stuffed a shop bag in the main compartment for when I stopped at the store. It was great! Comfy, organized, and great looking. Everything you need, nothing you don’t. Ideal. Seriously. I feel like I should spend more time talking about this because it was so perfect for this, so perfectly designed to be ideal, so that using it is absolutely natural and you don't have to figure out how to make stuff work. This is what's it's meant for, and it's a home run.

In the Field 2: Overnight Travel to Swanky Spa
    Day 3 with my L15, I took it on an overnight trip to a fancy spa resort hotel! I wore workout attire and packed my apres-spa brunch clothes/toiletries and DLHWOI in my Pop Tote. Meanwhile, the L15 was checked at the front desk, and was waiting for me in my room in the afternoon. Here’s what I packed:
    1. Back compartment: laptop
    2. Main compartment: papers to grade, merino tank & cardigan, pajamas, & socks/undies in a packing cube, 3DOC w/toiletries, iPod/headphones/armband in zip pocket
    3. Left front pocket: microUSB, USB-C, and lightning charging cables in a mini OP, laptop charging cable loose
    4. Right front pocket: pen/pencil OP, empty travel tray
    Honestly, I would never have thought of this as a travel bag, except this trip was planned for months and then the Luminary showed up two days before so YAY FUN NEW BAG LET’S TRY IT OUT!!!! Turns out it was awesome for an overnight. Luminary + Pop Tote = winning overnight combo, with PT holding stuff I need en route, and Luminary holding things I won’t need until I check in to the hotel. Only caveat is that the L15 needs to be packed lightly to be able to get my laptop in and out if I need it en route.

On top of the pajamas/mug/3DOC, a clear 3DOC of toiletries
    Luminary 15 pReview-packed-2-jpg

On top of the toiletries, a cubelet and travel tray (from my practice pack, not the final version, but you get the idea)
    Luminary 15 pReview-packed-4-jpg

FTR, the valet who carried the L15 from the car to the front desk and to the room was a big dude, and when I asked if he thought it was too small to wear, he said he’d want the shoulder strap adjusted longer, obviously, and it looked like there was plenty of strap to do that. Then he commented that it felt nice on his back. Which is a thing I notice about TB bags in general.

Here it is again at the beach -- a Cloud Luminary with clouds and the moon! Okay, I had to take a picture with good light on the sky, another with good light on the bag, then clumsily stitch them together, but it basically looked like this!
    Luminary 15 pReview-glamour-moon-shot-jpg

In the Field 3: At Work
    I have a whole system for carrying my work stuff in my S19, but it wasn’t hard to adapt it to the L15: just moved things between the equivalent pockets in the two bags. Laptop in the back compartment, water bottle in the bottle holder, stuff from the left pocket to the left pocket, right pocket to right pocket, except all my pens/pencils/markers went in the OP in the right pocket. And, yes, if I unzip the bottle pocket, I can slide my notebook in behind it, though it’s awkward to get a 1.5” notebook in the asymmetrical top opening.

Sometimes I have to carry my work-issue super chunky laptop. I really like being able to keep my Surface in the laptop compartment, separate from the chunky laptop in the main compartment with my notebook of course materials. There’s even enough room for my coffee, too!

The only question was my DLHWOI. I keep it in the bottom pocket in my S19, where it fits with satisfying perfection and is easy to access. It fits in the main compartment of the L15 just fine, especially if I don’t have the chunky laptop, but I do prefer having a separate compartment for it the way the S19 does.

Work stuff that won’t matter to anyone but me: I didn’t need to carry my MIDI keyboard this week, though I did try packing it. It fits, but I'd have to carry my coffee to class like a mere mortal. Also, folders for choral music are oversize, and they went in, but getting into the opening was awkward.

Luminary 15 pReview-work-pack-3-jpg

I’ll have to experiment more to see if I can replace my S19 with the L15. I hope it can, because the S19 resembles the backpacks the students carry. The L15 has a more grown-up appearance, sleek and elegant, that says “professor” rather than “student.” I'll continue carrying it at work this week and see if I miss the extra space in my S19.

Okay, so that's it for my review of the functionality of the L15. I'll add a summary after I use it a bit more.
    Last edited by Lia; 02-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great review @Lia ! I agree the Luminary is definitely one elegant bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review! I especially enjoyed the volume measurement in toilet paper rolls, it reminds me of the posts @janine used to make measuring bag capacity in toilet paper rolls and watermelons. How many watermelons can we fit in an L15? We might have to wait until summer to find out. (Unless someone in the southern hemisphere would like to check on that?)

I wouldn't have thought of comparing the L15 with the Pop Tote--interesting! I really like the L15 (as I said in my own review) but the Pop Tote turned out not to work for me. I tried one but discovered I only like tote bags for groceries, so now the Pop Tote belongs to my partner who is happy to use it as his personal item when he flies. So I wouldn't have thought of comparing them, but once you pointed out the comparison I can see it. They're both sleek.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Lia,

Even with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro (close in size to your Surface), I can't insert the laptop in the back compartment if I'm using a cache. This is as far as I can get:Luminary 15 pReview-img_3848-jpg

It's fairly easy to insert without the cache, either the bare laptop or one with a thin shell.

These are my two Luminaries (Nebulous Grey/Cloud for the L12; Aubergine/Dawn for the L15)
    Luminary 15 pReview-img_3831-jpg

Here's the Small Q-Kit used for the power brick:
    Luminary 15 pReview-img_3898-jpg

This works in both laptop side pockets.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I use the ITW Web Dominators on all my packs to roll up the excess webbing out of the way... several someones in this Forum recommended them originally

https://www.amazon.com/ITW-Web-Domin...web_2594176011

I find these more useful than cutting the straps. When I wore the L15 to work last week in CA, I didn't wear a coat, so the straps were cinched to a certain point... this week I'm in Portland OR for work and it's around freezing in the morning, so I'm wearing a fleece. I had to unwind the dominators a bit to accommodate the coat... so I'd rather do that than cut the webbing.
    How about a 100% free way to keep those straps under control? Use the thick rubber bands that bind broccoli together in the grocery store. They come in all colors and they really hold well, are easy to remove, and they are not hard like the web dominators are. When I used the web dominators with my backpacks, that hard plastic always seemed to rub against my arm and elbows and it was uncomfortable. I ended up giving them away.

Luminary 15 pReview-img_1079-jpg

Luminary 15 pReview-img_1080-jpg

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    How about a 100% free way to keep those straps under control? Use the thick rubber bands that bind broccoli together in the grocery store.
    Yes, but... what the heck am I going to do with all the broccoli?! ;)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    How about a 100% free way to keep those straps under control? Use the thick rubber bands that bind broccoli together in the grocery store. They come in all colors and they really hold well, are easy to remove, and they are not hard like the web dominators are. When I used the web dominators with my backpacks, that hard plastic always seemed to rub against my arm and elbows and it was uncomfortable. I ended up giving them away.
    That idea works perfectly fine!

I used to use black elastic hair ties the exact same way, but they do wear out and/or break faster than the web dominators, which is why I gave them a try... I think I'm a year in with the oldest pair of WDs and so far they haven't busted.
    Totally agree that depending on your bag/strap/arm set up, or if you wear tanks or whatever, the elastic may be more comfortable!

If there is a sudden run on broccoli, we'll know who's fault it is!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast