Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post

However. Foremost, there is nothing wrong with the product and reviews. The bag is absolutely great, sophisticated in terms of functional and aesthetic in its own unique way. I'm just a bit sad to see the Luminary 15 is also not able to accommodate a bigger, bulky laptop like 15.6" especially for Professional or even Gamer. Yeah, I clearly remember that prior to the Debut, it is clearly stated that the bigger Luminary (compare to 1st Gen) will definitely able to accommodate 13" Laptop. Probably, in my inner self - I was hoping it would somehow wide enough accommodate a bulkier 15.6" nakedly or with thin case.

Maybe it is just my case - because I owned a 2014 (5 years old) Dell Precision M4800 while also an aging 12.5" Ultrabook E7240.
    Yeah, I would say by today current Laptop Gen - Most user would own a 13" or 14". Not much 15", except Gamers. My assumption.
    I have some sort of HP Elitebook 15"... it's about 13 tall x 9.25 wide x 0.625" thick.... it fits in the main compartment of the L15... so yours might fit, depending on it's actual size...

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @aedifica and @G42 for your help,

My M4800 measure Vertically 14.8" Tall x 10.08 Wide.
    That's about 2 inch taller and near 1 inch wider than G42's Elitebook 15".
    Is your Elitebook an exact fit to the main compartment of your L15? Possible for another 1-1.5"?

Thanks again guys!
    Appreciate very much.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @aedifica and @G42 for your help,

My M4800 measure Vertically 14.8" Tall x 10.08 Wide.
    That's about 2 inch taller and near 1 inch wider than G42's Elitebook 15".
    Is your Elitebook an exact fit to the main compartment of your L15? Possible for another 1-1.5"?

Thanks again guys!
    Appreciate very much.
    The vertical isn't going to be an issue, there's space...

The dimensions list the width as 11" on the new L15 page... I just tried to measure the inside and it's a touch smaller because of the seams... You could probably fit it in just barely, but you'd have to check it in person to see if you're putting too much pressure on the seams and/or if slightly angling the laptop would help.
    Keep in mind that if you tightly fit horizontally, it will make it harder for the bag to naturally expand front to back so you might loose space / easy access that way too.
    If you're in the US and are ordering something anyway, it might be worth the return shipping to try it in person... if that's not feasible, you're probably better off with the Synapses...

Sorry it's not better news, but hope this helps...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @G42
    Nahhh, I'm not in the US.

I just check that Smart Alec is 11.75" width. While also SA has a more generous design than the minimalist Luminary.

I got what you mean. I guess, Backpack EDC still isn't something I going into yet.

Thanks a lot, by the way.
    Woohooo, my wallet is saved!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree the vertical space makes it more difficult to access what's in the Luminary. Backpacks are inherently less accessible than totes and crossbody bags, so for me, a backpack is just for carrying things I won't need until I get where I'm going. The S19 minimizes this by putting lots of individual pockets on the outside, but I'd definitely choose a tote if I'll need fast access to anything.

Also, my chunky work laptop fits with room to spare in my L15 -- it's taller and narrower than a 3-ring binder. I feel confident any laptop would fit fine in the main compartment.

Grateful for all the L15 reviews (but...)-work-pack-2-jpg

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    Also, my chunky work laptop fits with room to spare in my L15 -- it's taller and narrower than a 3-ring binder.
    Lia, what model of laptop is that?

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops, deleted the original reply when I was trying to add a photo. It's a Dell Latitude E6440. 13.5x9.5, 1.5" thick.

Compared to my Surface
    Grateful for all the L15 reviews (but...)-mvimg_20190220_143937-jpg

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own several DLBPs and adore them so frankly I am not in the market for a small backpack. I should have stuck with that. Instead I read the reviews because I had forgotten youíre all plotting against my self-control.

Oh L15. I think itís streamlined and elegant and I love that itís long. Iím beyond the mini backpack stage of my life so I need something tall, flat and functional. From the looks of it the L12 would be a bit too small to keep me interested but the 15 could hold my laptop. Iím so intrigued...

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grateful for all the L15 reviews (but...)

Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    I own several DLBPs and adore them so frankly I am not in the market for a small backpack. I should have stuck with that. Instead I read the reviews because I had forgotten youíre all plotting against my self-control.

Oh L15. I think itís streamlined and elegant and I love that itís long. Iím beyond the mini backpack stage of my life so I need something tall, flat and functional. From the looks of it the L12 would be a bit too small to keep me interested but the 15 could hold my laptop. Iím so intrigued...
    Iím in your boat. I have two DLBPís (one in 525 Ballistic and one in Halcyon) but am seriously considering the L15 (it does have some organization and padding). Enablers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Would like to see help from owners of L15.

Daylight Briefcase has a depth of 3.9"
    While, Luminary 15 stated 7.9"

Shall one filled up the main compartment of Daylight Briefcase with books, folders. Would the similar contents fill into Luminary 15 and still has about half space left?

Specs wise, Luminary has double depth of space - comparing to Daylight Briefcase.

Also, shall one filled up the main compartment of Daylight Briefcase into Luminary 15 main compartment, would one still able to use the Bottle Holder (without locking) with ease?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Oregon
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked my new-to-me Synapse 25 which I used as my luggage on a flight to California recently, so comfy and sleek, so I am rather tempted by the smaller Luminary, though I am none so sure I would use a backpack as an EDC. I normally do a cross body bag. I am curious, can anyone illuminate me, why is there such a big price difference between the Luminary 15 and the Synapse 19? They both seem to have multiple pockets. Or do the Luminary pockets involve less fabric/complicated sewing? Or is it the more sophisticated back mesh system? I see "Closed-cell foam back" listed for the Luminary and "Dri-Lexģ Aero-Spacerģ mesh upper back, 400 denier nylon lower back, Closed-cell foam back".
    Forgive me if this has already been spelled out somewhere else!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svea View Post
    I really liked my new-to-me Synapse 25 which I used as my luggage on a flight to California recently, so comfy and sleek, so I am rather tempted by the smaller Luminary, though I am none so sure I would use a backpack as an EDC. I normally do a cross body bag. I am curious, can anyone illuminate me, why is there such a big price difference between the Luminary 15 and the Synapse 19? They both seem to have multiple pockets. Or do the Luminary pockets involve less fabric/complicated sewing? Or is it the more sophisticated back mesh system? I see "Closed-cell foam back" listed for the Luminary and "Dri-Lexģ Aero-Spacerģ mesh upper back, 400 denier nylon lower back, Closed-cell foam back".
    Forgive me if this has already been spelled out somewhere else!
    There's probably a lot of factors that go into the pricing (overheads, material usage, etc), but I would hazard a guess that the number one variable cost is labor/time to construct a bag. One of the things that the TB crew seems to spend a lot of time on in the design process (see blog posts) is working out how to ensure that the construction process is efficient and repeatable at a high quality level. It's like when @Darcy just mentioned that the new thicker web material for the L12/L15 top handles is significantly easier to assemble into the bag (and more repeatable) than the folded over versions used previously...
    The S19 has not just the pockets, but the built in pen/pencil, etc sections inside the pockets. It doesn't surprise me that the S19 costs more than the L15.... it's a more complex bag in the number of pieces to be cut, assembled, etc.

I work in R&D/Manufacturing (for a completely different industry) and that's what it feels like to me...but I could be completely wrong too
    :)

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Shall one filled up the main compartment of Daylight Briefcase with books, folders. Would the similar contents fill into Luminary 15 and still has about half space left?

Specs wise, Luminary has double depth of space - comparing to Daylight Briefcase.

Also, shall one filled up the main compartment of Daylight Briefcase into Luminary 15 main compartment, would one still able to use the Bottle Holder (without locking) with ease?

Thanks!
    Hi @weirdguy,

Logically, it sounds like that would work... but because the bags have soft sides, that isn't how my test worked out just now. I pulled some of my tallest textbooks off my shelf to put in the Daylight Briefcase, but because the books aren't as tall as the DLBC is long, I was able to put in more books, stealing from the DLBC's length to add to its width. Then when I packed those same books in the L15, they filled most of the depth of the bag. I could still slide a water bottle into the bottle holder, but not quite as easily as usual. There was a lot of room left on top of the books, I could have put a Snake Charmer or something else up there.

If your books and folders are taller than mine (filling the Daylight Briefcase without making it wider) I think your idea would work, using more of the vertical space inside the L15 and leaving more of the depth available.

Grateful for all the L15 reviews (but...)-befunky-collage-l15-vs-dlbc-jpg

Surprisingly enough, the L15 was still comfortable to wear even with these heavy textbooks! The bag is just tall enough that the bottom of the bag rested at a comfortable point on me. (I'm 5'5". That might be different for people of different heights.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Thanks!
    I don’t have either of the bags you’re speaking of, but that never stopped me from offering an opinion:)

I THINK the difference in dimensions vs. volume is the padded back compartment. The L15 adds probably an inch in depth with the padding. That allows the user to skip a laptop sleeve, so for many people the amount of stuff that fits come out even.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I THINK the difference in dimensions vs. volume is the padded back compartment. The L15 adds probably an inch in depth with the padding. That allows the user to skip a laptop sleeve, so for many people the amount of stuff that fits come out even.
    @Traveltech, I hadn't thought about it when I was posting last night but I think a lot more of the difference comes from the Luminary's more-or-less triangular base. The farther you get from the back wall, the narrower the bag is. That's why I still had room for a water bottle when there was no room for more books.

To bring that back to @weirdguy's point, the L15 measurements show a 7.9" depth compared to the DLBC's 3.9" depth, but the triangular-ish base of the L15 means that it isn't a true comparison. The rest of the Luminary's added volume is in its height and width.
    Last edited by aedifica; 02-24-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add the last paragraph
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2