Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Forum Member chaimonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    Florida
    Posts
    124
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Grateful for all the L15 reviews (but...)

    I'm really glad to see folks posting thorough and photo-intensive reviews of the new L12 and L15. I've been curious about the L15 and whether it was something I should add to my collection. I have an S19 I don't use much, though I did bring it out this weekend for a writing sesh at my local coffee shop. I've been reading the L15 reviews with an eye towards whether it had something to offer that the S19 doesn't. So far, I'm not seeing the value-add for the way I use these bags. Not sure if there's anyone else pondering the S19 vs L15 choice and struggling the way I am.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I'm really glad to see folks posting thorough and photo-intensive reviews of the new L12 and L15. I've been curious about the L15 and whether it was something I should add to my collection. I have an S19 I don't use much, though I did bring it out this weekend for a writing sesh at my local coffee shop. I've been reading the L15 reviews with an eye towards whether it had something to offer that the S19 doesn't. So far, I'm not seeing the value-add for the way I use these bags. Not sure if there's anyone else pondering the S19 vs L15 choice and struggling the way I am.
    That's interesting because both Anna2222 and Lia suggested in their reviews that it could replace an S19 for them. The S19 has two more pockets than the L15, both external, so if pockets are your thing, then maybe the Luminary wouldn't work as well for you.

    You said you haven't taken your S19 out much lately. What bag have you been using instead?

  3. #3
    Forum Member sturbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Posts
    599
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the original Luminary (I'm still pouting that its not the Adult Sprout I was hoping for LOL) and while I'm glad to see they fixed the minor nits I had with it, I have learned that I'm really not a backpack person. I don't commute, and I really prefer totes or cross body bags. The only time I really use a backpack is for hiking, and I have a specialized hiking pack for that (Camelbak).

    But LUCKY FOR ME: zip top shop bags in colors I don't have, and PCSB will be available for me. I had a PCSB years ago, but found it too floppy for me plus I wasn't a fan of Halcyon for external. I am willing to give the PCSB another try because DAWN. I also pack differently now than I did when I formerly had one, with more items in 3DOC's or qkits, and fewer things that are loose. I'm hoping the other containers inside will help with the structure.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

  4. #4
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Share
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,304
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    That's interesting because both Anna2222 and Lia suggested in their reviews that it could replace an S19 for them. The S19 has two more pockets than the L15, both external, so if pockets are your thing, then maybe the Luminary wouldn't work as well for you.

    You said you haven't taken your S19 out much lately. What bag have you been using instead?
    @Cristina,

    I think that the main advantage to the S19 is the easy outer pocket configuration. For me, the biggest advantage of the Luminary 15 (or Luminary 12) is the additional comfort in the strap design. It's easier to access the outer pockets and miscellaneous small items of the S19 -- for example, both side pockets and water bottle pocket, and small pocket above that, and the front pocket below that. But for a slimmer profile, and with fewer things to carry, the Luminary excels. You don't have the same depth in the pockets -- on the other hand, if you're traveling and want easy access to documents (like hotel or rental car arrangements), you can use that back pocket to grab things. If I don't want to use this pocket for my laptop, I can also store my Kindle and/or a notebook there. (Challenge is to efficiently organize in the vertical direction as @anna2222 said -- in the back pocket I can do this by using two of the (retired) Aether Packing Cubes from the Stowaway). Otherwise, it's not as easy, for example, to take out a Kindle without opening up the bag.

    @sturbridge is correct that for direct access (without the vertical organization), the redesigned Sprout (that I can use), is smaller, but uses a block of space with easier access.

    YMMV,

    moriond

  5. #5
    Forum Member chaimonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    Florida
    Posts
    124
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    That's interesting because both Anna2222 and Lia suggested in their reviews that it could replace an S19 for them. The S19 has two more pockets than the L15, both external, so if pockets are your thing, then maybe the Luminary wouldn't work as well for you.
    It turns out I love pockets! So yes, I think the lack of pockets is part of my hesitation vis-a-vis the Luminary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    You said you haven't taken your S19 out much lately. What bag have you been using instead?
    I've been using my S25 for EDC (work) and travel. On weekends, when I'm out and about doing errands, I'll either have a SK or SCB.

    All that said, I'll still be reading all the L15 review posts with keen interest because maybe someone out there uses their bags the way I do and will identify why I need an L15 :D
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, pockets! I love pockets. I love a lot of pockets. And the struggle is real to use the vertical space in the main compartment.

    I've been putting off posting my review because I really find those two things to be a sticking point. I feel like I can fit half as much in my Luminaries as I can in my Parental Unit, which at 13 L is between the two, size-wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Cristina,

    I think that the main advantage to the S19 is the easy outer pocket configuration. For me, the biggest advantage of the Luminary 15 (or Luminary 12) is the additional comfort in the strap design. It's easier to access the outer pockets and miscellaneous small items of the S19 -- for example, both side pockets and water bottle pocket, and small pocket above that, and the front pocket below that. But for a slimmer profile, and with fewer things to carry, the Luminary excels. You don't have the same depth in the pockets -- on the other hand, if you're traveling and want easy access to documents (like hotel or rental car arrangements), you can use that back pocket to grab things. If I don't want to use this pocket for my laptop, I can also store my Kindle and/or a notebook there. (Challenge is to efficiently organize in the vertical direction as @anna2222 said -- in the back pocket I can do this by using two of the (retired) Aether Packing Cubes from the Stowaway). Otherwise, it's not as easy, for example, to take out a Kindle without opening up the bag.

    @sturbridge is correct that for direct access (without the vertical organization), the redesigned Sprout (that I can use), is smaller, but uses a block of space with easier access.

    YMMV,

    moriond
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    It turns out I love pockets! So yes, I think the lack of pockets is part of my hesitation vis-a-vis the Luminary.



    I've been using my S25 for EDC (work) and travel. On weekends, when I'm out and about doing errands, I'll either have a SK or SCB.

    All that said, I'll still be reading all the L15 review posts with keen interest because maybe someone out there uses their bags the way I do and will identify why I need an L15 :D



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Forum Member sturbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Posts
    599
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the redesigned Sprout (that I can use), is smaller, but uses a block of space with easier access.
    Yep, that's it exactly. Its the ratio of height to width for me. Once that ratio gets much over 1.5, I find getting at stuff so much harder. I like a ratio in the neighborhood of 1.3.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 02-19-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

  8. #8
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    951
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I've been putting off posting my review because I really find those two things to be a sticking point. I feel like I can fit half as much in my Luminaries as I can in my Parental Unit, which at 13 L is between the two, size-wise.
    That too is a useful review! I understand why it would make you hesitate, but it would be useful for people to have a review that says that.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    27
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yes, pockets! I love pockets. I love a lot of pockets. And the struggle is real to use the vertical space in the main compartment.

    I've been putting off posting my review because I really find those two things to be a sticking point. I feel like I can fit half as much in my Luminaries as I can in my Parental Unit, which at 13 L is between the two, size-wise.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is one of my biggest questions. I pack vertically with items I need frequently on top, but I don't want to unpack constantly. The original luminary doesn't handle everything I want to carry. Is all the extra space height?

  10. #10
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    951
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    That is one of my biggest questions. I pack vertically with items I need frequently on top, but I don't want to unpack constantly. The original luminary doesn't handle everything I want to carry. Is all the extra space height?
    Not all of the extra space is height! From today's blog post: "The bag itself is approximately 15% taller, 10% wider, and an inch or two more in depth (as it projects away from your back) than the original Luminary 12."

  11. #11
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Not all of the extra space is height! From today's blog post: "The bag itself is approximately 15% taller, 10% wider, and an inch or two more in depth (as it projects away from your back) than the original Luminary 12."
    Yes the extra width is noticeable. Here is a Packing Cube Shoulder bag in a L12, which only fits sideways:


    Here it is in a L15, fitting nicely:

  12. #12
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,312
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    That too is a useful review! I understand why it would make you hesitate, but it would be useful for people to have a review that says that.
    Thank you, it is posted now, I hope my experience is useful to someone.

  13. #13
    Forum Member weirdguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Share
    The Earth, we share.
    Posts
    644
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also wish to express my gratitude to the reviewers for the Luminary series, that just official debuted in the Blog. The time, effort goes into these reviews, I couldn't be more grateful. Thanks you!

    However. Foremost, there is nothing wrong with the product and reviews. The bag is absolutely great, sophisticated in terms of functional and aesthetic in its own unique way. I'm just a bit sad to see the Luminary 15 is also not able to accommodate a bigger, bulky laptop like 15.6" especially for Professional or even Gamer. Yeah, I clearly remember that prior to the Debut, it is clearly stated that the bigger Luminary (compare to 1st Gen) will definitely able to accommodate 13" Laptop. Probably, in my inner self - I was hoping it would somehow wide enough accommodate a bulkier 15.6" nakedly or with thin case.

    Maybe it is just my case - because I owned a 2014 (5 years old) Dell Precision M4800 while also an aging 12.5" Ultrabook E7240.
    Yeah, I would say by today current Laptop Gen - Most user would own a 13" or 14". Not much 15", except Gamers. My assumption.

    I usually carry my bulky M4800 in Brain Cell alone or, inside Smart Alec. Shall with Smart Alec, there is still a lot of empty space and I hope, nakedly through Luminary - the bag could slim down a lot.

    Let me say it again. I absolutely agree with the Luminary being a great product. It is just not right for myself, at this moment.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn


    BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    27
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SOLD

    That's it. That's the smidge I needed.

  15. #15
    Volunteer Moderator aedifica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Boston; she/her
    Posts
    951
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Probably, in my inner self - I was hoping it would somehow wide enough accommodate a bulkier 15.6" nakedly or with thin case.
    Hi @weirdguy,

    I think you could fit a 15.6" laptop in the main compartment of a Luminary 15, though I'm not absolutely certain (I don't have one to test with). But of course you wouldn't be able to fit as much other stuff in that compartment, and you'd lose the benefit of the dedicated laptop section at the back.

    I agree, though, this bag will not fit everyone's needs--of course, no bag can. I'm lucky that this one works so well for me! I understand your hope that this one would fit your laptop, and your disappointment that it doesn't (at least not in the dedicated laptop section).
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

    I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •