Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag

I have been meaning to post these photos of my P.U. in action as a camera bag for anyone else who might wonder how it performs for this purpose, and not finding any other such reviews.

What I really need is a bag that can do the following:
    Transport camera gear to event securely
    Function as a storage bag during the event but also be
    Capable of being carried around venue if absolutely necessary
    Offer decent visibility—ie light color lining

I had long suspected that the P.U. would behave much like a wonderful Lowepro bag that I love but which lacks interior organization. Happily, I was right. The P.U. has a great shape for wearing behind me and moving to the front as needed. The zip divider pocket holds my main body with lens attached: Fuji X pro2 and 16-55 f/2.8. The spaces to each side hold a speedlite, 90mm and another zoom and my backup Nikon with 50mm. There is plenty of flexibility to move any item when needed. I attached a binky light for my most recent event as it was held in a pitch dark banquet hall.

I use the front pocket of the bag to store and separate full and empty batteries and a few other small items. The back pocket holds purse items.

During the event, I walk around with a MCB as a lens bag, and leave the P.U. in a corner. I love that the MCB fits tidily atop the other items and I can still carry the bag by its handles from the car.

Funny enough, I cannot imagine using the P.U. as a diaper bag. I had four children in five years, with three in cloth diapers at one point. But this bag would never have suited me as something to carry with small children. But I am sure plenty of people love it for its intended use. Fortunately I love it for other reasons.

Some photos attached—the one of me for size reference (5 ft 3) is terribly blurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag-2a38f583-d4e1-4860-a92a-7511cc872228-jpeg 

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed your review! That isn't a use case I have any experience with, but it was neat to read how it works for you.

I only see one picture, were there supposed to be others?

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see a video or a photo series showing how you pack this bag. I don't think my current camera set up is big enough to make me enjoy this kind of bag just yet.... but I have been wondering for a long time if anyone would try it out as a camera bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your review and the idea of using the PU as a camera bag! I‘ve read it here and there in this forum that folks use the PU for that purpose. But I‘ve never seen photos of the inside organisation with rather bulky cameras and lenses, because that is what I would be carrying. Thus, here is another wish for some more pics...

Many thanks!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm! Looks like the other photos did not attach. Will try again!
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    I really like your review and the idea of using the PU as a camera bag! I‘ve read it here and there in this forum that folks use the PU for that purpose. But I‘ve never seen photos of the inside organisation with rather bulky cameras and lenses, because that is what I would be carrying. Thus, here is another wish for some more pics...

Many thanks!

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the photos attached this time.Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag-dcf3d423-554e-4f12-9c9c-40bdc91451f2-jpg

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to be having trouble getting the photos to attach.Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag-13355cd9-9d52-422c-b6b8-ff441b172964-jpg seen here is P.U. with flash, three lenses, backup Nikon AND, though you can’t see it, my Fuji xPro2 with 16 to 55, underneath everything.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos do need to be sized fairly small to attach... I don't know the actual size though
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my MCB on top:Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag-ea2201bc-b00b-441d-8abe-8260d4527997-jpg

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a blurry one of me:Parental Unit: My ideal event specific camera bag-991b1a4e-a529-46cc-a288-18f225e3f25b-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the pictures! They really help me a lot understanding how the PU might work as a camera bag. Did you miss some padding in the bag at all?
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tulsa, OK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a four by four bit of padding from another bag at the center to keep my Fuji from being flat on the bottom. Other than neoprene lens covers, I am not big on padding for my gear when using it. Packed in my carry on is a different matter!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    The photos do need to be sized fairly small to attach... I don't know the actual size though
    From my experience the other day when I was posting my Luminary review, it seems like they need to be under 1MB each.