Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 15 - first impressions

Lots of cool reviews with good pros/cons so far and mad photog skills I can't hope to replicate! Here are my rather more mundane first impressions...

I received a Luminary 15 in Nebulous 525 ballistic/Island 210 ballistic and I love the colour combo!

The Island can be a little dark inside but the colour contrast is just too niceÖ It may affect your ability to zip the mesh beverage section if you depend on your eyes and youíre not in bright light, but I zip that up by feel more than sight - even on my original Olive/Canyon L12.
    The Aubergine/Coyote in the video looks amazing too, so I hope that combo shows up in some other bags.

The L15 is taller that the L12, but stays slim - I really like the narrowness of the bag - both front to back and side to side. On both my oL12 and the new L15, I really appreciate how small and tight it fits to my back - no worries about turning around and knocking anyone over. (FTR, Iím 5í 4Ē)
    For that reason, I think this makes a great bag for transit and wandering around urban areas. I havenít tried it on my bicycle yet, but I think it will be good for that too.

The curvy squishy shoulder straps are still very comfy. I havenít really needed to use the sternum straps on this bag because the straps sit so well on me, but the more minimalistic version looks nice. I wish that the whistle version was sized down like this and standard on every pack.

I'm using ITW web dominators to keep the extra webbing straps from dangling in the way.

The side zippers close up this time, which probably helps prevent anything from falling out if you didnít zip it all the way closedÖ I never had that problem on the oL12, but I know some folks did, and it doesnít bother me to have the feature here. It means you can clip the top to side zips together with the tiny Nite-Ize on one side if you want.
    The only odd thing I have encountered is if the main body zip is closed and I'm using zipper pulls, I've already a couple times zipped the side pocket zipper closed over the main body zipper pull. Not a big deal, but I've already managed to do it more than once.

I prefer the feel of the doubled over top handle on the oL12, but havenít carried enough weight that the single one has been a problem so far on this L15.

In the back padded pocket I have a medium halcyon OP with two journals & pens; a DOP for receipts, and a Kindle in a case. In EDC mode, the back padded pocket works remarkably well for papers I donít want squished, bday cards, etc.
    As @moriond noted elsewhere, one of the nice tweaks vs the oL12 is that the main vertical body seaming running in that back pocket is now folded/tacked away from the zip opening, so it doesn't catch when you slide things in.

The new small inside top pocket on the front face can hold my first gen Pixel phone (by angling it in) and my Nikís wallet, but those are usually on my person, so Iíll use it for pen/pencil, tissue packet, etc. during EDC.
    Right now Iím trying it out on a work trip and itís holding my work badge, lip balm, earplugs, and Advil packets.

Luminary 15 - first impressions-img_20190219_091745-1-jpg

As folks have mentioned, it would be nice to have a couple O-rings in the upper area of the pack vs lower down.

The main compartment can hold my work HP EliteBook 15Ē in a slightly larger neoprene sleeve that also holds a couple file folders. That didnít fit in the oL12, so now this could legitimately be my EDC.
    It can also fit my personal MacBook air 13Ē in a neoprene sleeve at the same time, but I would rarely do this.

The middle zip mesh beverage section holds my Nalgene 16oz or Zojirushi coffee, just like oL12 did. You can also leave it unzipped and still put a bottle in it, if you want to put a magazine, book, or laptop in the main compartment. It helps prevent the bottle from moving around too much.

For EDC, I put the TC that I use as an Ďofficeí on one side of the water bottle and a 3DOC fabric vertically on the other. A raincoat or fleece folded/rolled up fits nicely above those items. Sometimes I think the vertical geography should be reversed, so that itís easier to get to the water bottle, but it usually doesnít bother me. In fact, I can put the Nalgene 16oz into the larger side zip pocket on this version (if the bag isn't jammed full), though usually I use those for smaller items.

On my current work trip - airplane mode:
    -MacBook Air 13" in sleeve is in the main compartment along with a lumbar pillow, a #1 stuff sack with merino gloves, a #1 stuff sack with Clif bars, kleenex and mints, and the Ghost Whale with misc. work tools
    -16" Nalgene sits on top
    -side pockets held my keys, headlamp, mini Q-kit with bluetooth headset & charger on one side and an external phone battery pack on the other
    -positioning the mini Q-Kit so that the zipper faces away from the side zip pocket zipper seems to fit the 3D space there better

It fits under the aisle seat of a Southwest plane

Luminary 15 - first impressions-img_20190217_114417-1-jpg

On my current work trip, EDCarry mode:
    -larger heavier work laptop (HP Elitebook 15") in the neoprene sleeve plus file folders in the main compartment instead of the Mac, along with 3DOC with powerbrick and portable mouse, #1 stuff sack, Ghost Whale, and 16" Nalgene
    -same stuff in side & back pockets

Luminary 15 - first impressions-img_20190219_205019-1-jpg

This is my first trip with it and all my clothes, etc are in a a bigger bag. But I did check to see that I can fit my laptop, a PCSB with clothes, and a 3DOC for toiletries all in the main compartment, for a one or two night stay.

Luminary 15 - first impressions-img_20190216_142644-1-jpg

Overall I quite like this bag and have had fun with the first round of evaluation.
    Last edited by G42; 02-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42, nice review! I am very impressed you can travel with only the L15 with all your clothes, toiletries, and laptop for a couple of nights. I never would have thought it possible. Maybe because I travel with too much. I will challenge myself and attempt a weekend trip with only the L15. Thanks for inspiring me.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed too! With a CPAP I'm certain I couldn't travel with just a Luminary, but I wonder if I could travel with L15 + NFTD...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @G42, nice review! I am very impressed you can travel with only the L15 with all your clothes, toiletries, and laptop for a couple of nights. I never would have thought it possible. Maybe because I travel with too much. I will challenge myself and attempt a weekend trip with only the L15. Thanks for inspiring me.
    Ok, to be clear, that last photo section was only a test pack :) I'm sure I can do it for a night or two thought, with only one laptop...

The current trip I'm on requires more work related STUFF, so I do have a second bag here.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42 great review! Looking forward to your experiences with minimalist L15 travel!

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    The Island can be a little dark inside but the colour contrast is just too niceÖ It may affect your ability to zip the mesh beverage section if you depend on your eyes and youíre not in bright light, but I zip that up by feel more than sight - even on my original Olive/Canyon L12.
    I totally agree! When I first unzipped the water bottle thing in the Deep Blue L12 I thought let's hope that I can fasten it again (especially since I always keep searching for my glasses). But then I discovered that it is a lot easier by just feeling it...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces