Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    238
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Deluxe Spiff Kit for food allery therapy

    Hi everyone! I find myself popping in on the forums from time to time, and I love catching up on TB products new and old. I wanted to share a unique use I have for my Deluxe Spiff kit.

    My son did oral immumotherapy (OIT) for his life threatening nut allergies, and his daily "medicine" is to consume about 2.5 grams of each nut he is allergic to. When we travel, I like having this as a grab and go way to measure his daily dose.

    Each container holds one of his allergens (walnut, pecan, cashew, pistachio, and hazelnut), plus one holding chocolate chips to make the trail mix more appealing. He doesn't mind the taste too much, but it's quite common for someone with a life threatening allergy to be repulsed by the taste of their allergen.

    I also carry a precision jewelry scale, a silicone cup to hold the ingredient I'm weighing, and an empty container to hold the final trail mix for consumption.


    IMG_4837 by Goosefeather26, on Flickr

    IMG_4838 by Goosefeather26, on Flickr

    I'm really happy with this setup, as it's more clean and organized than just throwing it all into an open bag. One day, I'll hand this process over to him to manage on his own, and I'll gladly include this travel set to help him keep things neat and organized on the road.
    --Amanda

    Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,446
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    I'm really happy with this setup, as it's more clean and organized than just throwing it all into an open bag. One day, I'll hand this process over to him to manage on his own, and I'll gladly include this travel set to help him keep things neat and organized on the road.
    What a fantastic use for the Spiff! Managing that kind of allergy is incredibly hard and I'm glad you found a tool to help make it easier for you and your family
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Share
    Michigan
    Posts
    33
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    Hi everyone! I find myself popping in on the forums from time to time, and I love catching up on TB products new and old. I wanted to share a unique use I have for my Deluxe Spiff kit.

    My son did oral immumotherapy (OIT) for his life threatening nut allergies, and his daily "medicine" is to consume about 2.5 grams of each nut he is allergic to. When we travel, I like having this as a grab and go way to measure his daily dose.

    Each container holds one of his allergens (walnut, pecan, cashew, pistachio, and hazelnut), plus one holding chocolate chips to make the trail mix more appealing. He doesn't mind the taste too much, but it's quite common for someone with a life threatening allergy to be repulsed by the taste of their allergen.

    I also carry a precision jewelry scale, a silicone cup to hold the ingredient I'm weighing, and an empty container to hold the final trail mix for consumption.


    IMG_4837 by Goosefeather26, on Flickr

    IMG_4838 by Goosefeather26, on Flickr

    I'm really happy with this setup, as it's more clean and organized than just throwing it all into an open bag. One day, I'll hand this process over to him to manage on his own, and I'll gladly include this travel set to help him keep things neat and organized on the road.
    Hi Toblerhaus. Cool idea for the spiff kit. I have heard of this type of therapy before. Is the idea that someday your son may be completely allergy free? Or is this just to prevent an accidental encounter from becoming deadly? (The body is used to small doses). I ask because my daughter has a cashew allergy. The first few times the reaction was small & then after about 2 years she split a Lara bar ( I read the labels at the store & then inadvertently picked up the wrong damn bar) with her brother before bedtime & the reaction was intense. She was snoring (which is what first alerted me)& covered in hives & swollen & itchy all over. It took a few rounds of Benadryl to get completely normal. It scared the crap out me. The allergy was worsening. My husband has mentioned we get in contact with a Dr. To discuss the therapy you are doing.
    Thanks in advance

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    14
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! So happy for your and your family that you got through to this stage!!

    We're about a month into peanut OIT right now. I think I might use this as an excuse to get another TB bag. It's only one food, but it would be nice to something dedicated to OIT for travel.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    238
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerchild81 View Post
    Hi Toblerhaus. Cool idea for the spiff kit. I have heard of this type of therapy before. Is the idea that someday your son may be completely allergy free? Or is this just to prevent an accidental encounter from becoming deadly? (The body is used to small doses). I ask because my daughter has a cashew allergy. The first few times the reaction was small & then after about 2 years she split a Lara bar ( I read the labels at the store & then inadvertently picked up the wrong damn bar) with her brother before bedtime & the reaction was intense. She was snoring (which is what first alerted me)& covered in hives & swollen & itchy all over. It took a few rounds of Benadryl to get completely normal. It scared the crap out me. The allergy was worsening. My husband has mentioned we get in contact with a Dr. To discuss the therapy you are doing.
    Thanks in advance

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    It's so scary, isn't it? We've been fortunate enough to avoid anaphylaxis, but have had plenty of scares. Doing OIT has been life changing!

    We've worked my son up to a point where any sort of unexpected exposure should be completely symptom free. He has chosen to keep it at this level, as opposed to attempting to work him up to be able to free eat the allergen. He says he's not interested in intentionally eating these foods. He did a 1 year follow up blood test, and the therapy has made his IGE numbers decease significantly. It's technically not a cure for the allergy, but over time, there is still hope that he will become so desensitized that he can decrease how often he takes the doses to perhaps even just once a week or every few days. We did 2.5 grams of each nut twice a day for a full year before dropping to once a day.

    I could talk about this for ages. There is a website called OIT 101 that can give tons of details, research, and help you find doctors near you who are offering the therapy.
    --Amanda

    Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    238
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maletero View Post
    Awesome! So happy for your and your family that you got through to this stage!!

    We're about a month into peanut OIT right now. I think I might use this as an excuse to get another TB bag. It's only one food, but it would be nice to something dedicated to OIT for travel.
    I approve the excuse for an additional TB bag! I hope the course of peanut OIT goes well. We know some peanut OIT kiddos who have approval to just pop a few peanut M&Ms or mini Reeces, which makes me a bit jealous because they don't have to measure and weigh! I'm working up to a place of comfort where I can just eyeball the measurement rather than weigh it, but my mama heart isn't ready to let go of the sense of safety that comes with an exact measurement.
    --Amanda

    Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Share
    Michigan
    Posts
    33
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so awesome to hear that your son has made progress. It is so scary. You have to be soo vigilant. And in today's modern healthy diet nuts are in everything. I actually accidentally bought vegan butter the other day made with cashews. Geez, then I feel like a failure to my own kid, even though I caught it before I used on her stuff. Anyway thanks for the info. I am definitely going to look more into it.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •