Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghost Whale / OP Size Comparison

Ghost Whale Size Comparison

Mini GW

First things first: the Mini Ghost Whale size is fantastic! It is similar is size to a Mini OP but the curved zipper and different seams make the contents more accessible.

For long thin things that take up the entire length of a Mini, I would prefer the GW. Like these Bic Kids mini markers:

Or these Bic Mini 4 Color pens, which actually fit in with the mini markers:

Those all also fit in a Mini OP but it's a chore to get them in and out. Much easier in the GW.

Small GW

The Small GW is tall and narrow in shape, the same width as a Mini GW but taller. It is similar in size to a Small OP but not quite as wide.

The Iberian Small OP contains my first aid kit. The increased accessibility provided by the zipper means that tiny items (individual Dramamine tablets, for instance) might fall out, so I'm keeping my first aid kit in its Small OP. The Small GW would better suit pens and pencils or maybe some mascara/eyeliner/concealer. Like the Mini, I think it's best for items that take up more of the length.

The Small GW fits comfortably even in the smallest outer pocket of the Parental Unit:

A5 GW

The A5 is similar in size to a Medium OP (please ignore the two split rings on my Azalea Clear Medium OP, I sewed those on myself to make it a seat-back iPad Mini case :-)

The A5 GW is slightly smaller in 2-D space than a Medium OP but it can take my stupidly thick iPad Mini case as it has more depth.

It also holds a small stack of Field Journal Notebook paper easily. In fact, the whole A5 GW fits in the FJN!

Actually, a great use for a Small GW would be as a pen/pencil pouch in a FJN.

Thoughts on 525 vs 210

Now that I have both, I prefer 525, even for the smaller sizes. The Small Island GW has little... I don't know, distortions is maybe the right word, from keeping markers in it. I don't know if these little bumps will flatten out now that the pouch is empty, they might. (Edited to add: they have)

I prefer a slightly more robust fabric for these as the zipper already provides such easy access to the contents.

After receiving these and seeing them first hand, I immediately added several Mini ones to my preorder, all in 525.

Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by Cristina; 02-28-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Moved pic

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the size comparison, it is really helpful!
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Cristina,
    It is my duty to promote you to the rank of Enabler Royale! Now I know how I can use these little gems. Thank you for sharing! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings Cristina,
    It is my duty to promote you to the rank of Enabler Royale! Now I know how I can use these little gems. Thank you for sharing! elisa
    I second that AlaskaGirl!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings Cristina,
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I second that AlaskaGirl!

Now that is a title I will wear with pride. Thank you!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azalea and ultraviolet were made to be together!!! What a gorgeous combo.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    Azalea and ultraviolet were made to be together!!! What a gorgeous combo.
    Maybe we should lobby to keep Alphaviolet Ballistic, in the line up!

Murfreesboro, Tn
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! Now that I see the size in pictures better I wish I had placed more in my cart!! I get mine today, i am watching UPS for delivery!!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Bic Mini 4 Color pens, which actually fit in with the mini markers:

Where did you get those mini Bic pens? Would love to get a set!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Where did you get those mini Bic pens? Would love to get a set!
    When I found out that the Mini size was going to be discontinued, I looked around and bought several of these 4-packs (2 mini, 2 regular, and of those, one each of the black/blue/red/green and the pink/purple/cyan/lime).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019S88M1S/

My daughter loves the version with the pink and purple, so it is nice to have that in mini and regular size.

This set was by far the lowest price I found for the minis, especially with the two color variations.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Maybe we should lobby to keep Alphaviolet Ballistic, in the line up!
    And add an Azalea Ballistic while we're at it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    And add an Azalea Ballistic while we're at it!
    I'd love to, but I also understand that The Crew and the Mothership have to restrict themselves to a certain number of colors in each fabrics.

It has been hard for me, to see, that both Nordic and Alphaviolet are in the process of being discontinued.

I am delighted that Dawn is going to stay for a while longer because it is color that is loved by many Tom Bihn customers.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.