Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Bag Review: Tri-Star

Hello Tom Bihn Forum Family!

Iím new to forum posting, but have been reading for a long time. I thought it was about time to start contributing. So I wrote up my first trip with the Tri-Star I got for Christmas.

Itís my first bag review, and there are many things I want to do differently next time. However, I also wanted to finally get it posted. So without further adieu:

My First Trip with the Tom Bihn Tri-Star

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi craigmccclellan, I enjoyed reading your review! I also like travelling with the Tristar, especially when going on a business trip because as a flat packing bag it's great for business shirts and other more formal clothes.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice review!

Regarding the clear 3DOC and non-liquids... I use the 3DOC only for liquids and a couple small things (like nail clippers)... my hairbrush, razor case, travel electric toothbrush, etc. go in a small snake charmer, which isn't very full.

It works for me to keep the 311 essentials in the 3DOC in case TSA needs to check (I'm Pre-Check, so this is rare) and in case anything spills (this could happen any trip) and the bulky stuff in the SSC.

Hope this offers another alternative for you to consider
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn’t thought about a snake charmer. Good thought. Thank you!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your review! You said there are things you want to do differently next time--do you mean for the review itself, or just the packing changes you mentioned in the review?

Like @G42, I use a clear 3DOC for my liquids and another small bag for the rest of my toiletries. The other bag I use for toiletries is a mesh-sided 3DOC. I like that they're both the same size, so I can slide them into my luggage side by side. If I needed more separation of my toiletries, though, I'd probably use a small Snake Charmer like @G42 does.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took "dry" items out of my 3DOC last vacation, so I could fit a row of half and half in those little tubs! My mom only has 1% milk and that doesn't cut it for tea, but I didn't want her to buy a whole box!

Nice review on the Tri-Star...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Thanks for sharing your review! You said there are things you want to do differently next time--do you mean for the review itself, or just the packing changes you mentioned in the review?
    In the review itself. For instance, I never mentioned how gorgeous the burnt orange is. But thatís ok. Hopefully more reviews to come!

Also, I like the idea of a mesh 3DOC too! Thanks!

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to split the toiletries as well, until I learned the wonders of contact lens cases; now I can fit the 20 different SKUs I travel with, including electric razor, in my 3DOC with room to spare. I'm hoping that with a few other improvements, I can get my emergency kit in there as well(another dozen+ items I keep in a small clear pencil pouch, including sewing kit, first aid, and pharmacy items)

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I used to split the toiletries as well, until I learned the wonders of contact lens cases; now I can fit the 20 different SKUs I travel with, including electric razor, in my 3DOC with room to spare. I'm hoping that with a few other improvements, I can get my emergency kit in there as well(another dozen+ items I keep in a small clear pencil pouch, including sewing kit, first aid, and pharmacy items)
    Come back and share pictures...

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Come back and share pictures...
    Though I have a few improvements since, I posted some in my last WF review . For things like toothpaste, a contact case will last about 4 days, while aftershave or Vaseline can last a few weeks.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    Though I have a few improvements since, I posted some in my last WF review . For things like toothpaste, a contact case will last about 4 days, while aftershave or Vaseline can last a few weeks.
    I'll go check it out. Love packing lists/tips!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Iím on my 2nd trip with the Tri-Star, and managed to pack WAY more this time than last (info and pictures to come). At least for me, folding is the way to go over rolling.

Iím still having trouble getting all the pockets and compartments packed. I donít feel like Iím overpacking, but when one compartment gets packed, it bulges into others making them harder to pack.

Anyone have an order or strategy theyíre using for the Tri-Star?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmcclellan View Post
    So Iím on my 2nd trip with the Tri-Star, and managed to pack WAY more this time than last (info and pictures to come). At least for me, folding is the way to go over rolling.

Iím still having trouble getting all the pockets and compartments packed. I donít feel like Iím overpacking, but when one compartment gets packed, it bulges into others making them harder to pack.

Anyone have an order or strategy theyíre using for the Tri-Star?
    I don't have a Tristar but here are some posts that might be helpful:

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...cubes-etc.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...questions.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...-tri-star.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...king-list.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...star-back.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ag-travel.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...s-tristar.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I had searched the forums a fair amount, but hadnít found all of those. I have a plan to try now.