Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

Since yesterday my TB collection has some new members, among them the new PCSB and the Side Kick. Because both bags are new to me I am curious how they will behave in the long run but I thought I share my first impressions with you. Although it is fair to say that the bags are very different, some folks - like myself - might still be sitting on the fence between them. I ended up ordering them both, as it often happens (much to my partners regret unfortunately...). I wasn't sure about the "right" color for the PCSB. I actually pondered so long that the very first batch of black and coyote was already sold out before I could order... Now I am really glad about my choice, as I think that black is a great and elegant color for the bag, but that's just a matter of taste. The Side Kick is in Nebolous Grey/Island one of my favorite color schemes.

Here a side by side comparison: The PCSB is higher, wider and thicker and thus has 1.5 liters more volume. Since I have so many shoulder straps I decided not to order another one but to use the standard strap on the PCSB which seems a bit excessive for that bag but I think it's comfortable especially since I tend to overpack my bags :-)

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-004-jpg

I packed for a lazy afternoon in town. Since the PCSB has no internal organization I used some pouches to organize my stuff: My wallet went into a small Organizer Pouch, my pens and snacks went into a small Ghost Whale. I also packed my IPad (9.7"), my rather bulky camera (Lumix LX 7), sunglasses, my phone, a pack of tissues, and something to read.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-001-jpg

Here the inside organization, pouches are clipped to one of the O-Rings.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-002-jpg

Book and phone went into the exterior pocket.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-003-jpg

Using the Side Kick means that I cannot pack my IPad. It would technically fit into the bag but I would only be able to pack some very slim things and nothing as bulky as my camera.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-005-jpg

Despite the fact that the interior organization of the Side Kick is great, I still used the pouches (clipped to the O-rings) because the camera uses up so much space that it was difficult to use the built-in pouches properly.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-006-jpg

Although the bag is quite slim I could still close it comfortably and used the exterior pocket for my phone.

Getting ready with the Side Kick / the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag-007-jpg

Just my first impressions. It will certainly take some more time to scrutinize the many qualities of these gems. So far I didn't notice any negatives with regard to the strap attachment. Both bags carry comfortably (I wear them cross-body over my left shoulder).
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your review! I ordered several of the PCSB's in different colors to use as packing cubes in my A30, but loved the Dawn color so much that I am seriously considering switching out my beloved Nebulous SK for more room! The only thing that I need to figure out is how to give it form and structure. I don't carry an ipad with me, so I put the new A5 Ghost Whale in there with paper and pens, which seems to do the trick for now.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @anna2222, yeah would have also loved to order more than one color! And I completely agree that it is good to provide some structure for the PCSB with a book ore something similar.
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    And I completely agree that it is good to provide some structure for the PCSB with a book ore something similar.
    My Side Effect was pretty solid when I kept my Kindle in a cheap neoprene sleeve, but my son bought me a cute cover for it for Christmas. It's kinda squishy now, but even worse if I take my Kindle out!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bartleby Thank you for all of the great images! I want to get the PCSB to house an A5 Filofax Malden planner/journal, but I’m not sure how well it would fit. The Filofax is wider than the iPad Air by 1.5” without factoring in the binding strap (which would make it 2” instead). Would it fit into the PCSB?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @machinegun, I just tried it with a book that is even a bit bigger than the A5 Filofax Malden: the book is 9,6“ x 8,3“ x 1,4“. If I put it in the PCSB there is some space left and I was able to close the zipper.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    @machinegun, I just tried it with a book that is even a bit bigger than the A5 Filofax Malden: the book is 9,6“ x 8,3“ x 1,4“. If I put it in the PCSB there is some space left and I was able to close the zipper.
    You, sir, are a saint, and I will be putting in another order. Thanks a ton!

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the same two bags in the same two color combos. I had intended to return one, but I'm conflicted. The pcsb can hold a smidge more, but the sk has that great internal organization that I love in my SE. They both would serve the same purpose for me as a slightly roomier purse/bag if I need it and I really don't need two of the same bag type. Are you keeping both OP or returning one?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Are you keeping both OP or returning one?
    Yes, kept both. You‘re right that they are similar but to me the PCSB is more a hybrid construction which is great when I am travelling using it as a packing cube first and then as a purse when I arrive at my destination. But I also love the sturdier construction of the SK and the great interior organization. Thus, both have their own merits...