Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect vs Side Kick ó yes I know this topic has been done before

Yes, this topic has been on several forum threads before Ė and they were wonderful and helpful. I poured over each and every one of them doing research before purchasing my SK & SE. A big thank you to everyone who takes the time to write their thoughts and personal experiences and include pics.

I wanted to add this thread because what I found personally using these two bags was not something that I found mentioned in other reviews on the forum.

The Side Effect (mine is steel halcyon) Ė this is my EDC and it is ďA DreamĒ! It fits moleskin pouch (orange), credit card wallet (light pink), money pouch (dark pink), checkbook, (a pen sits under that) and my iPhone (not in the pic). The R-Pocket has epi-pen + chapstick; L-Pocket has gift cards. Outer back pouch has keys. My Bluetooth typically hangs off the center O-ring.

Iíve also used it as a toiletry bag thrown into my A45 (I will try to upload a pic the next time I use it for that purpose). It is also a fantastic fit in the front pocket of my Pilot and in multiple places in my SA.

I LOVED it so much that I purchased a second one.

The second one I purchased is in cloud ballistic. My personal preference is the halcyon. The only reason I purchased the 2nd one in ballistic was that I didnít care for the 3 halcyon outer color options currently available (that is strictly a personal preference ... I do not normally go out to formal occasions anymore, however, the ballistic would definitely be a good carry option in that circumstance).

The Side Kick (mine is in ballistic Cloud/Viridian) --

In brief: I about lost my mind using this bag Ė True Story.

1) not a real fan of the viridian interior (but that was by no means a deal breaker)

2) I didn't really need the extra space height-wise at the top of the bag ó most space I use is in the depth/width (again, not a deal breaker by any means, it just wasn't the best use of space for me personally).

3) Deal Breaker: Three of the four O-rings were in the wrong places for me. I found that any items I attached to the key strap lay right in front of the pockets containing items that I needed to access either quickly or frequently and so every time I needed an item in one of the pockets (and I keep an epi-pen in one of them), I would have to remove from the SK whatever was attached to the O-ring. There was no pushing the O-Ring items aside because ultimately the straps were never completely out of the way of the pocket. It was really, really frustrating!
    Iíve attached a pic of an example for reference so that others (who are new to TB) can see how the straps lay over the pockets.

I am curious to know -- do most people put the items attached to the O-rings into the pockets so this isnít an issue ?

I tried re-purposing my SK as a toiletry bag Ė it didnít work for me so ...

**If yíall have OTHER uses for a SK (besides PLO or toiletry bag), please let me know because it is a well-made bag and I donít want to just write it off. [For reference, I do not have children, I do not have a camera, VERY minimal tech equip. I am not a knitter. I do not have a Kindle or any other e-reader (just a phone & laptop)].**

Ultimately, I realize that not every bag is for every person and I may just need to find this little guy a new home.

Sent using Hushmail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy guardian of: Steel/Was A45; Steel PCBP; Steel PCs; Steel SA; Steel/UV Pilot; Cloud/Vir SK; Steel/Was SE; Aub/Coy Skook Duff; UV LSB; Sit PCSB; Lg Trvl Trays (NWS & Monarch); Hor +Vert Brain Cells + Caches; Stuff + Yarn Sacks; Pass Pouch Big Grin

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gheebuttersnaps View Post
    Yes, this topic has been on several forum threads before Ė and they were wonderful and helpful. I poured over each and every one of them doing research before purchasing my SK & SE. A big thank you to everyone who takes the time to write their thoughts and personal experiences and include pics.

I wanted to add this thread because what I found personally using these two bags was not something that I found mentioned in other reviews on the forum.

The Side Effect (mine is steel halcyon) Ė this is my EDC and it is ďA DreamĒ! It fits moleskin pouch (orange), credit card wallet (light pink), money pouch (dark pink), checkbook, (a pen sits under that) and my iPhone (not in the pic). The R-Pocket has epi-pen + chapstick; L-Pocket has gift cards. Outer back pouch has keys. My Bluetooth typically hangs off the center O-ring.

Iíve also used it as a toiletry bag thrown into my A45 (I will try to upload a pic the next time I use it for that purpose). It is also a fantastic fit in the front pocket of my Pilot and in multiple places in my SA.

I LOVED it so much that I purchased a second one.

The second one I purchased is in cloud ballistic. My personal preference is the halcyon. The only reason I purchased the 2nd one in ballistic was that I didnít care for the 3 halcyon outer color options currently available (that is strictly a personal preference ... I do not normally go out to formal occasions anymore, however, the ballistic would definitely be a good carry option in that circumstance).

The Side Kick (mine is in ballistic Cloud/Viridian) --

In brief: I about lost my mind using this bag Ė True Story.

1) not a real fan of the viridian interior (but that was by no means a deal breaker)

2) I didn't really need the extra space height-wise at the top of the bag ó most space I use is in the depth/width (again, not a deal breaker by any means, it just wasn't the best use of space for me personally).

3) Deal Breaker: Three of the four O-rings were in the wrong places for me. I found that any items I attached to the key strap lay right in front of the pockets containing items that I needed to access either quickly or frequently and so every time I needed an item in one of the pockets (and I keep an epi-pen in one of them), I would have to remove from the SK whatever was attached to the O-ring. There was no pushing the O-Ring items aside because ultimately the straps were never completely out of the way of the pocket. It was really, really frustrating!
    Iíve attached a pic of an example for reference so that others (who are new to TB) can see how the straps lay over the pockets.

I am curious to know -- do most people put the items attached to the O-rings into the pockets so this isnít an issue ?

I tried re-purposing my SK as a toiletry bag Ė it didnít work for me so ...

**If yíall have OTHER uses for a SK (besides PLO or toiletry bag), please let me know because it is a well-made bag and I donít want to just write it off. [For reference, I do not have children, I do not have a camera, VERY minimal tech equip. I am not a knitter. I do not have a Kindle or any other e-reader (just a phone & laptop)].**

Ultimately, I realize that not every bag is for every person and I may just need to find this little guy a new home.

Sent using Hushmail

Interesting observation! I haven't had that problem with the SK because as you guessed, I am clipping things that are in those pockets, primarily. (I have the exact problem you describe with my Travel Cubelet, though).

I think that the o-rings that are low down at the end of the SE are really useful. The SK should maybe have those too! You could always sew your own in lower down along the sides with a length of twill tape and a 20mm split ring, with a hand sewing needle or a machine, flipping the bag inside out and sewing into the seam. Actually I should do that with my TC! Thanks for the inspiration. Tagging @bweaves who also finds the TC o-ring placement annoying.

One alternative use for the SK might be as an exercise bag? Sometimes I put my Travel Cubelet, a small water bottle and gloves into the SK and wear it with the waist strap to go walk up one of the big hills near me.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the o-ring that is in the center on the side with two open pockets: I keep COW in one pocket, clipped to the ring and a Flipside wallet in the other pocket, clipped to the ring and a car key clipped on and hanging in the main compartment. But the o-ring in the center on the other side goes unused, since it blocks the long open pocket across the back. I also agree that the placement of the o-rings at the ends are too high, blocking access to the pockets. Excellent idea, Cristina! I’ll remove the SK rings and find a better spot for them.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the very same problem you did with the o-rings. The side kick is a perfect size for me though and the pockets provide enough organization that I just donít use the o-rings, except one for my keys. When I first got it I tethered everything. But it was way too many straps in too small of a bag and everything was a tangled mess. Even just tethering my cow and keeping it in a pocket was too much loose strap for me. I feel the same way about the small cafe bag, to a slightly lesser degree.

However, I love the o-ring system in bigger bags. The deep pockets of the co-pilot are perfect for it. And the o-rings half way down the swift are my all time favorite. (I had my Swift for several months before I even knew they were there. I read a post on the forum about it and thought ďwhat on earth is she talking about?Ē And sure enough, there they were!) My tethering usage is about organization more than security, so not using key straps for anything but keys on the small bags works just fine for me.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't actually use the o-rings in the SE, SK, or DLBC very often/hardly ever - so it's a non-issue for me - but I can see how it would be annoying if you do use them... mostly I just put stuff in those bags & pockets...

I do find the o-rings useful for when I want to pull a pouch out that's down inside a SA or S19 backpack...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Maryland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a huge Side Effect fan. The smaller size is much more usable as the interior pockets of the Side Kick are too deep for me. I really can't say what other uses the Side Kick has other than maybe trade value! (Although I have one and can't get rid of it)

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one SK and THREE Side Effects. I love them so much. Perfect PLO inside a bugger bag. I use them with the wrist strap. I donít really carry my SK anymore, which is a shame since itís such a lovely bag. When I was using it, I only tethered my keys.

Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your awesome feedback and thoughtful answers. I really appreciate it

Happy guardian of: Steel/Was A45; Steel PCBP; Steel PCs; Steel SA; Steel/UV Pilot; Cloud/Vir SK; Steel/Was SE; Aub/Coy Skook Duff; UV LSB; Sit PCSB; Lg Trvl Trays (NWS & Monarch); Hor +Vert Brain Cells + Caches; Stuff + Yarn Sacks; Pass Pouch Big Grin

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two side effects that get way more use than my side kick. The side kick will fit my Rocketbook notebook though, so I do carry it sometimes. I tend to put my tethered items in the pockets below the o rings, but I have noticed the problem you describe of straps blocking access sometimes, depending on where you stash stuff.

After using my Side Effect, sometimes I feel like the Side Kick is just too much purse. Funny thing to say about such a diminutive bag, but It is rare that my purse stuff exceeds the capacity of a side effect.

The side kick makes a great bag for holding electronics, tablets and cables inside a larger bag, and also it is great for keeping receipts and papers for work travel. I have put mine to work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy