Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few Aeronaut + zipper color comparison pics and some thoughts on the 45L size.

Hi, first off thanks for helping me out in the buying decision everyone on these forums it was great info.

So I picked up the Aeronaut 45 as a likely BIFL bag for travelling carry-on, but with it being so sturdy and the straps well enclosed still be able to check-in should I ever need to.

The biggest worry I had before buying is that it is bigger than the Hynes Eagle 38L that I used to travel around Europe for a month last year (which just about fits the tightest budget airlines sizings). I took the chance and I needn't have worried I don't think, it is not that much bigger at all when you glance at it. I noticed when getting on those budget flights that the people with soft bags (even a lot bigger than this) never seem to get pulled aside its always the hard and wheeled luggage people, so I think its will be fine 99/100. USA flights of course should be no problems at all.

I picked up the Steel + Island which is a very nice mix I'm sure you've all seen but I wanted to add some pictures to show the other color options I added. You'll see in the photos I put red zipper pulls on one side, blue on the other (and yellow in the middle) so I can tell easily which side I have things and which to put "forward" when carrying on shoulder. I have black pulls on the strap side.

For Canadians some info on duties I paid $488.00 USD total, with the UPS shipping. On top of that amount I had to pay $56.81 duty which includes $10 brokerage fee. Expensive, but this thing is clearly very well constructed with top notch materials and design.

A few Aeronaut color comparison pics and some thoughts on the 45L size.-mpqksqv-jpg

A few Aeronaut color comparison pics and some thoughts on the 45L size.-ye0hdi7-jpg

A few Aeronaut color comparison pics and some thoughts on the 45L size.-vc1ixvf-jpg
    Last edited by BihnBag; 05-24-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums! I agree, Steel/Island is lovely. I hope your Aeronaut will serve you well! (Not that I have any doubt.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I have the same Steel/Island A45 - it's a great colour combo :)

Hope you have fun with it - when you go on your first adventure with it, be sure to post some pics
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A third welcome from me! Great bag and great color scheme! I am sure you like the thread of the Steel/Island Appreciation Society!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My A30 is burnt orange because everything I own is one shade of orange or another. It is lined in grey and I’d have enjoyed any other color on the inside. Was not there a yellow at one time?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    My A30 is burnt orange because everything I own is one shade of orange or another. It is lined in grey and I’d have enjoyed any other color on the inside. Was not there a yellow at one time?
    There was a dyneema/halcyon colour called Solar which was a lovely bright clear yellow. Unfortunately it's discontinued and highly sought after in the secondary market. There was also Zest (a true happy orange) and Monarch (a more red/orange) in that fabric.
    In the exterior there is the Burnt Orange in 1050 and 525 ballistics... there was also an Orange-152 in Cordura, which is discontinued except possibly for some leftover organizer pouches... there may have been other Corduras, but that was before my time.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a huge Steel/Island fan, its my favourite combination. Weve been using our Navy/NWS A45 almost constantly recently for weekends away. Because of this I picked up a new to me A45 in Steel/NWS recently.

Looking forward to using it on my next weekend away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    There was a dyneema/halcyon colour called Solar which was a lovely bright clear yellow. Unfortunately it's discontinued and highly sought after in the secondary market. There was also Zest (a true happy orange) and Monarch (a more red/orange) in that fabric.
    In the exterior there is the Burnt Orange in 1050 and 525 ballistics... there was also an Orange-152 in Cordura, which is discontinued except possibly for some leftover organizer pouches... there may have been other Corduras, but that was before my time.
    There was a Cayenne cordura, and Mars Red ballistic is kind of a dead ringer for it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it for a week in UK on 3 flights total, with a budget airline that has tight-ish restrictions but nothing like Flybe or Ryanair to be fair. Zero issues whatsoever even in the small jet for the UK to UK section.

I think the internal frame purchase was a good one for me as well as the hip straps. I'm not sure it would be worth it with the 30 but on a fully loaded 45 I was thankful to have them on long walks to hotels etc.

The absolute strap is superb also, I use it with my regular day to day bag now too it makes heavy loads far more comfortable.

I think I might buy an Aeronaut 30 at some point too just for very short trips as I do think it could be overkill to take the 45 for a couple of days. It was useful to have the extra space on this trip for the extra clothes and I did buy some things to bring back that had some bulk but otherwise the 30 would have been fine I think.
    I would love to get the green / grey or purple / wasabi variant of the 30 I think that is a great compliment to the steel / island I have, or maybe even a halcyon version, the ballistic is bomb proof but does add weight.

Very happy with the buy.