Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic

Standard Spiff Kit

No one will be surprised to hear that the Standard Spiff Kit in 210d Ballistic holds the same amount as the Halcyon version... but it does look very nice in the new material! Here are photos showing some of the things one might fit in a Standard Spiff Kit.

As a gym toiletry bag:
    I used to work in a building that had a gym for employees to use, so I kept enough toiletries in my gym bag to make sure I could look fully put-together and professional after using the gym. I carried a handle-less boar bristle hairbrush, a hair pick, a travel toothbrush & toothpaste, a shower cap, a spray can of dry shampoo, a small bottle of regular shampoo, a small bottle of bodywash, a travel container of feminine wash, a travel deodorant bar, and some moisturizer. I attached a hair clip and some ponytail holders to the handle. (This is actually a lot more toiletries than I carry for travel!)

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-befunky-collage-gym-ssks-jpg

Since my mother was visiting me, I handed her one of the Standard Spiff Kits and asked her to fill it with her own toiletries. She was surprised how much it could hold! It held a pen, a notebook, two packets of tissues, a large filmy scarf, several seashells, two seven-day pillboxes, a hairbrush, full-size toothbrush, travel toothpaste, phone charger, and miscellaneous other toiletries. The final photo shows it sorted into the Spiff Kit's pockets but pulled out a little to show what's in each pocket. The larger pillbox, tissues, scarf, notebook, and pen were tucked into the center of the Spiff Kit when it was closed. Some of those things could have fit into the lower left pocket along with the phone charger, but this appealed more to our sense of organization.

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-befunky-collage-mom-ssk-jpg

And I'm sure someone has commented on this elsewhere, but I was impressed to find that when full, the Standard Spiff Kit precisely fills half the main compartment of a Co-Pilot.

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-img_2782-co-pilot-9-x-6-jpg

More to follow on stuff sacks and some of the other accessories after I get back from a few errands!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, more as promised:

Travel Stuff Sacks

The Stuff Sacks just look really elegant to me in the 210d Ballistic! I'm not sure I've really been able to capture that in photos, but here are my attempts:

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-befunky-collage-tss-tt-jpg
    Size 1 TSS in Cloud, Size 2 in Viridian, and also a Large Travel Tray in Dawn

Aside from the more elegant look, the only difference I've noticed between the Ballistic and the Halcyon Travel Stuff Sacks is that the Ballistic doesn't crumple as much when I pull the drawstring tight--that means there's a little bit of an open hole left when the drawstring is pulled as tight as I can get it. I'm interested to find out whether that changes as the fabric gets worn in and softens up, or whether it will go on being stiffer than the Halcyon. (In the two I have, the Cloud already crumples nearly as well as Halcyon but the Viridian is somewhat stiffer.)

Packing Cube Backpack

The Tri-Star/Western Flyer PCBP continues to be a nice size to pair with a Pilot, and I like how Dawn looks with my Navy Pilot. When I'm carrying my Pilot and suddenly wish it were a backpack, or if a light rain turns into a downpour and I want an extra layer of water resistance, I pop the Pilot into a TS/WF PCBP and suddenly the Pilot is a backpack! The rest of the time, the PCBP is folded flat in the exterior back pocket of the Pilot. In this photo I've folded down the front of the PCBP to show the Pilot hiding inside.

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-img_2789-ts-wf-pcbp-jpg
    Dawn Tri-Star/Western Flyer Packing Cube Backpack, Navy Pilot

Nik's Minimalist Wallet #5

This is making me really want a hypothetical Nik's Wallet #6, that would be just like the #5 but with a loop like the #4 has for attaching it to a key strap. I think six different styles of wallet might be a bit much for TB's lovely manufacturing and inventory people to keep track of, though, so I think my dream of Wallet #6 is likely to stay a dream. Except for wanting a loop, I can't tell whether I prefer my wallet #4 or the new #5--both are very snazzy, and when I fill the #4 I generally put a little thought into what I'll put in the clear pocket based on what I don't mind showing. (I don't want to put my license there, though I'm sure a lot of people find it a handy pocket for exactly that, so I usually put my insurance card there since I don't mind that one showing.) So I think I have a mild preference for the all-fabric, no-clear-pocket version if only I could attach it to a key strap.

Super Mini Ghost Whales!

I had just been wishing for a smaller pouch, and here they are! They're just about the same size as a folded Nik's Wallet, a perfect fit for a pair of Bose SoundSport wired headphones even with an extension added to the cord. They're also a nice size to drop my ring into if I take it off when I'm out and about, so I don't have to worry about losing my ring. (I bought myself a nice ring as a graduation present and I'm still getting used to wearing it.) They'd also be great for carrying flash drives or other small things one wants to be able to clip onto an O-ring.

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-befunky-collage-smgws-nmw5-jpg
    Alphaviolet Super Mini Ghost Whale with headphones, two photos of: Viridian Super Mini Ghost Whale, Nik's Minimalist Wallet #5 in Black Halcyon, Alphaviolet Super Mini Ghost Whale

Another thing about the Super Minis: they're a nice way to add bits of color, of course, and I was surprised to find that although I'm not generally a fan of Alphaviolet (even a Cubelet turned out to be too much Alphaviolet for me) I like this Alphaviolet Super Mini. That may mean that the Super Mini isn't a great way to try out a color you're not sure you'll like, though--you might find that you like this tiny amount of a color but dislike the same color in a larger bag. So be warned!

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Super Mini Ghost Whale in the 210d Ballistic is actually a little longer than the same pouch in the 525d Ballistic even though they're both die-cut with the same die. I believe it's because the thicker fabric doesn't fold as easily at the edges of the pouch, so the pouch is marginally plumper front to back and isn't quite as long or as wide. A standard US business card will fit in a 210d SMGW but won't quite fit in a 525d SMGW. The white card in the following photos is the plain back of a business card, and the center photo shows that the Viridian Super Mini is a little longer than the Alphaviolet Super Mini.

Standard Spiff Kit and Stuff Sacks in 210d Ballistic-befunky-collage-smgw-jpg
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for my supermini to arrive! Once in a while my mini OP and mini GW aren't small enough.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    I can't wait for my supermini to arrive! Once in a while my mini OP and mini GW aren't small enough.
    Yes, same here with the others not always being small enough! I like the First or Second Aid Pouchkin too as a tiny OP, but it only comes in the two colors and that just isn't enough.