Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Western Flyer + Synapse 25 + Other Goodies!

So -- I haven't worn a backpack in nearly 30 years (my college days), and since then I've never considered myself to be a "backpack" person. But being a "two bag" traveller, and finding it difficult to navigate through NYC with bags that either go over the shoulder or carried by handle, I thought I'd try out the Synapse 25 to find out firsthand what all the fuss is about.

All I can say is -- WOW. LOVE!!!

Enough said. You guys already know how great it is -- I'm not even going to bother expanding.

The Western Flyer is a bit bigger than I expected (a good thing), but still small enough to be used as a weekend/overnight bag; I think the TriStar might have been overkill for that purpose (and for longer trips requiring more serious packing, I already have an A45 in burnt orange, which I love).

Colors:

Green is my favorite favorite color, so it was (almost) a no-brainer to get the Western Flyer in verde (I already have a Ristretto in verde).

HOWEVER -- knowing that I would be carrying the WF with the S25 -- (and at the time still on the fence over getting the S25 in aubergine or burnt orange -- orange being my SECOND-favorite color) -- I almost got the WF in coyote; with orange it's a beautiful warm "fall" combo, and with aubergine it's a fun kind of "peanut butter and jelly" combo.

In the end, since I'm less of an "adventure" traveller and more of a business traveller ("no" to camping, "yes" to the Four Seasons) I figured the aubergine S25 would blend in better with my outfits and surroundings than the burnt orange (being far more likely to be found in the Terrace Room than the Grand Canyon).

And as much as I adore the verde/burnt orange combination, the aubergine/verde combo has a muted but still colorful "berries in the evergreen wood" kind of look.

A note about aubergine:

I never realized what a versatile "neutral" color it really is! It works with all outfits, in all seasons. I have a Pop Tote and Co-Pilot in aubergine, and they consistently work with every color I wear: blue blazers ... grey blazers ... brown and khaki blazers ... blue denim ... and both black and brown leather jackets!

The big surprise: COYOTE!

I got a packing cube shoulder bag in coyote, mostly to see what it looks like in person.

Photos don't do it justice at all; I ultimately went with verde for the WF because in every photo, coyote looked to my eye to be a little too "field-guide-in-Colorado" khaki.

In person, however, it's a rich golden light brown, with a sheen that adds depth; having never actually seen a coyote in person, I'd describe it more like "brown sugar" or "roasted peanut butter".

In short, had I ordered the WF in coyote I would have been over-the-top thrilled with the color.

(The problem -- if you can call it that -- with Tom Bihn's colors is that I just happen to love them all!)

Another pleasant surprise: CLOUD.

In the photos, it looks almost white. In person, it's a rich light-to-medium grey (again with that sheen!). It's "cloud" in the sense of -- it MIGHT rain -- but probably not! -- unlike the dark and broody "nebulous" grey which reads: "Get your ass in the house, this is going to be a rough one -- maybe even with a twister!"

Overall -- thrilled!

New Western Flyer + Synapse 25 + Other Goodies!-img_3754-jpg

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your descriptions of the colors and what they look like together! I remember your post last month asking for advice on what bag(s) to get. So glad you found a combo you're happy about!

With your Aubergine S25, your Verde WF, and your Burnt Orange A45 you've got almost the same trio of colors that are my favorite to pair together. (Wait, is "pair" the right word when I'm talking about three?) For me it's Burnt Orange and Aubergine with (alas, discontinued) Forest. I'm happy to have a Forest A45 that I can combine with a Burnt Orange Cafe Bag, an Aubergine Co-Pilot, or various other bags to make sets that please my eyes. My also-much-appreciated Western Flyer is Original Halcyon, so of course I also have to have an Original Halcyon Cafe Bag, Co-Pilot, etc...
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.