Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TorontoSS, even at my height, the Synik 22 seems much more of an EDC bag for me. I do think it would be great for weekend trips as well, but I mostly look at it as a commuter bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I've made a note to answer this in my own Synik 22 review, since I do currently have an S25 and S19.
    Thank you! I’ll look forward to that!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @TorontoSS, even at my height, the Synik 22 seems much more of an EDC bag for me. I do think it would be great for weekend trips as well, but I mostly look at it as a commuter bag.
    Thanks! That is super helpful!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a week of carrying my Synik 22, I'm reviewing it as an "every-day carry". Some reminders from my previous notes: I'm 5'2". I have a longish, multi-modal commute. I received the Synik after winning the "review lottery", and mine is Ballistic Aubergine/NWS.

What was I using before?

I switch around, but here is an example of what I'd been carrying quite a bit recently: a Small Cafe Bag.

Start of another Synik 22 review-scb-jpg

It's compact, it allows me to reach inside and pull anything out with ease, and all the contents of my "mobile office" are visible, all things I love.

But here's my dirty secret: Not everything fits. So every day I was ending up tossing all the overflow, which included my commuter mug with coffee, sunglasses, extra pouches, sweater or jacket, snacks, battery charger, and whatever else I need for the day, into a tote, like the Small Shop Bag. So, two bags. It's still manageable, but sometimes I wished I was traveling with less.

My experience with the Synik 22

So when I got the Synik 22, I decided to stick with it as a one-bag solution for one week. It immediately felt nicer to carry only one backpack, even if it was slightly heavier. It was liberating to have my arms free. Obviously, the downside is that I have to swing the bag around to grab my train pass or wallet when I need them, but it was manageable.

At first I tried the Synapse 19 Freudian Slip inside as an organizer. It didn't work for me at all. I found it hard to reach the stuff in the back, and I didn't feel that the FS did a good job of holding my things.

So I switched to putting all the small stuff that I had carried inside the Small Cafe Bag into a Side Kick. This was a great solution, because I could pull it out when I needed, and it solved the problem of going to meetings or lunches without the backpack. If the Side Kick is perched on top of the things in the main compartment, it can stay open and it's easy to reach in and out:
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190805_074957-jpg

To that I added a water bottle in the (surprise) water bottle pocket, the train pass in the flat pocket, keys on one side, sunglasses and headphones on the other, and in the bottom pocket, a small Snake Charmer with all the various pouches I carry. They don't really need to be in the Snake Charmer but it doesn't weigh much, and I found it to be easy to pull out and open like a mini briefcase. My 13" Macbook Pro fits fine in the back pocket quite well, without interfering with space for other items. (I do not take my laptop every day, though.)

Start of another Synik 22 review-stuff-jpg

I carried a Synapse 19 a long time ago, and found it super-comfortable. Then they changed the configuration of the straps, and it wasn't quite as comfortable for me. (Everyone is shaped differently. For example, I find the Luminary 12 to be wonderful, but that's the case with everyone either.) However, the Synik 22 fit like a dream. As others have said, the "edgeless" straps are very nice to wear.

Admittedly, it's on the heavier side compared to lightweight items like the Luminary, Cafe Bag, or Shop Bag, I wondered if it would be a problem for me. However, over the week I found myself getting used to it. The Synik has a lot of internal organization, including the heavy-duty clamshell zipper, the five exterior pockets, the flat laptop pocket, the luggage pass-through, and the framesheet. All of these things make it heavier but more useful, and I can't really thing of one that I'd want to give up.

Favorite Features and Comments

• Slots for pens in the side pockets. You can't really have enough places for pens, IMO.
    • The super-tough top handle. It pairs well with the weight of this bag.
    • The laptop slot. Even when I'm not carrying a computer, it is a very convenient place, due to the side access, for my iPad, phone, or notebook. It is also my favorite feature of the Luminary.

Problems?

As with all backpacks, there is no really convenient place to keep it when I'm on the commuter rail train. I could set it on the floor like everyone else does with their packs, but it's too pretty for that. I tend to perch it on my lap, but that makes it less convenient to work or read. Sometimes I rest it on top of my feet, but that only works when I get the "special seat" which is almost like a private cubby.

Start of another Synik 22 review-train-jpg

What would I change? Not much. If I was given a sewing machine in the factory and the superhuman knowledge of how to put this complicated piece together, here is what I might do differently:

• I don't totally understand the wide internal pocket in the front of the main compartment. It is too floppy to do me much good, and when it's filled with something, it limits my ability to reach for other things because it leans over. I'd rather see flatter, smaller pockets, maybe like some of the ones you see in the Maker's Bag. However, other reviewers have commented that they like this pocket; I think some people use it for shoes, at least on the larger version.
    • Add an o-ring or two at the base of the main compartment.

The clamshell zipper

I like the clamshell zipper. A lot. To me, it does not make the bag less secure. The zippers are very solid and don't slide around. I often find that being able to open the zippers on one side only make it easier to retrieve objects in the main compartment, vs. always having to reach in from the top.

Will I continue to use it now that the week is over?

You bet.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get to the "packing for a trip" part of the review. Sorry! I'll be trying to do that as soon as possible.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with all backpacks, there is no really convenient place to keep it when I'm on the commuter rail train. I could set it on the floor like everyone else does with their packs, but it's too pretty for that. I tend to perch it on my lap, but that makes it less convenient to work or read. Sometimes I rest it on top of my feet, but that only works when I get the "special seat" which is almost like a private cubby.
    I don't have a lot of context but would something like a HeroClip work? I find uses for keeping my hands free if I find myself riding in the backseat of a car and I imagine it might be similar if there were a train seat in front of you.

Sidenote: The hook rotates. I haven't found it stable as a 'purse hook' to hook under a table's flat surface. But then again this is a 15 lb backpack, haha.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeBios121 View Post
    I don't have a lot of context but would something like a HeroClip work? I find uses for keeping my hands free if I find myself riding in the backseat of a car and I imagine it might be similar if there were a train seat in front of you.
    If @bchaplin's commuter rail cars are like the ones I used to ride--and I think they are--trying to hang the bag from the back of the seat in front of her would still put it right in her lap! There isn't a lot of leg room between one bench seat and the one in front of it. The train I used to ride always had a lot of empty seats so I could put my backpack next to me, but it sounds like her train is more full than mine used to be.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed your review! And I'm glad the Synik is working out so well for you.

Obviously, the downside is that I have to swing the bag around to grab my train pass or wallet when I need them, but it was manageable.
    If one doesn't mind having something dangling in front, one can run a key strap through the webbing for the sternum strap and hang a pouch from the key strap. I do that with my transit pass sometimes and took a picture of it when I was out today. (Other times I put it in the same pocket you mentioned keeping yours in.)

Start of another Synik 22 review-img_3572-jpg

Edited to add: I'm especially likely to hang my transit pass in front like this during the winter when I don't want to have to fuss with zippers and gloves and such to pull my pass out. I even added that little split ring so I can hang a house key there in the winter, so I don't have to dig out my keys either with gloves on. (Yes, there are key straps that come with split rings but this isn't one of those. I think I probably got the idea from those, though.)
    Last edited by aedifica; 08-06-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point!

I do have the Hero Clip -- it's fantastic. I keep it with me all the time!
    I should have clarified in my original post that I sit in a spot on the train (near the door, so I can make a quick exit), where there is no seat in front of me, and usually no convenient hook to hang a bag from. It's not really a big deal, just a difference I noticed when traveling with a backpack vs. the Small Cafe Bag, which can more easily wedge at my side because it's so thin.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeBios121 View Post

Sidenote: The hook rotates. I haven't found it stable as a 'purse hook' to hook under a table's flat surface. But then again this is a 15 lb backpack, haha.
    And @aedifica, it does get super-crowded!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-06-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I tried the Synapse 19 Freudian Slip inside as an organizer. It didn't work for me at all. I found it hard to reach the stuff in the back, and I didn't feel that the FS did a good job of holding my things.

So I switched to putting all the small stuff that I had carried inside the Small Cafe Bag into a Side Kick. This was a great solution, because I could pull it out when I needed, and it solved the problem of going to meetings or lunches without the backpack. If the Side Kick is perched on top of the things in the main compartment, it can stay open and it's easy to reach in and out:
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190805_074957-jpg[/I]
    I was wondering about the FS for this bag, so thanks for the heads up. I have a TC that I love but it's a little too small some days, and while the vertical orientation makes it an easier solo carry (IMO) than the SK, the verticality often makes my S19 packing efforts a little lopsided. So now I'm thinking I need the SN22 AND a new SK... I may have to wait for Christmas for that splurge! :D
    Last edited by Tonya; 08-08-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: remove typo

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I was wondering about the FS for this bag, so thanks for the heads up. I have a TC that I love but it's a little too small some days, and while the vertical orientation makes it an easier solo carry (IMO) than the SK, the verticality often makes my S19 a little packing efforts a little lopsided. So now I'm thinking I need the SN22 AND a new SK... I may have to wait for Christmas for that splurge! :D
    Only thing to consider if you want a new Side Kick, and if you want halcyon, the Nordic is going away.... so Nordic SK is available now until the bags made run out and Original (white grid black) is in production, but that will be going away sometime too... only the dark grid Black will be available in 400D halcyon (the exterior weight material)

I like the halcyon for the smaller bags, especially if I use it as a bag-in-bag, which is why I mention it. The dark grid Black is apparently the most popular but not to me - I don't want basic black - YMMV
    :)
    Last edited by G42; 08-07-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: lots 'o typos
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about the FS for this bag, so thanks for the heads up. I have a TC that I love but it's a little too small some days, and while the vertical orientation makes it an easier solo carry (IMO) than the SK, the verticality often makes my S19 a little packing efforts a little lopsided. So now I'm thinking I need the SN22 AND a new SK... I may have to wait for Christmas for that splurge! :D
    I should say: The S19 Freudian Slip worked a lot better for me in the Daylight Backpack, which is what I bought it for. It just wasn't ideal in the Synik -- for my things. And I felt like the design of the bag made it harder to access both sides of the FS.

The Side Kick is great though! I am using the ballistic version (the 525), though the Halycon one would be great too.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clamshell zipper

I like the clamshell zipper. A lot. To me, it does not make the bag less secure. The zippers are very solid and don't slide around. I often find that being able to open the zippers on one side only make it easier to retrieve objects in the main compartment, vs. always having to reach in from the top.
    One of the issues with the Clamshell is that they had to add padding to the bottom of the Synik to protect the zipper sliders and chain - a serious wear point. I have the Synapse 19 and not being able to open the Bag all the way is NOT something I feel like I miss. It might be useful for just cleaning the bag on occasion, or once in a while for major trips, but not day to day and not necessary. The few times I would fully open it up is not worth the tradeoff for less durability, in my opinion, because I travel quite a bit and my synapse goes through a lot.

Ideally, I’d like everything from the Synik 22, except the clamshell design (and awful new logo placement). Definitely the computer compartment, new straps, better integrated back support, and updated handle. I’d buy a Synapse 22 and vote for them to update that line for those that don’t want a clamshell, but do want everything else. The Synapse 19, IMO, should be discontinued.
    Last edited by rishio; 08-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Only thing to consider if you want a new Side Kick, and if you want halcyon, the Nordic is going away....
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm not interested in the gridded Halcyon patterns though I don't mind it for an interior fabric. We live on acreage in a very rural, rugged area and spend a lot of time outdoors and in the woods. I know the Ballistic adds weight but I really need something a bit more sturdy here. Plus, it sheds dirt really well! :)

I should say: The S19 Freudian Slip worked a lot better for me in the Daylight Backpack, which is what I bought it for. It just wasn't ideal in the Synik -- for my things. And I felt like the design of the bag made it harder to access both sides of the FS.
    I adore the Freudian Slips but found that they work best when they stay in the bags, so accessing both sides is important to me. Unless I can remove the FS and keep it hanging (I've attached an extra loop and carabiner to my FS to allow for hanging just in case a chair rail or fence post is available), my pens and tools tend to slip out of it. I've lost too many nice fountain pens and art supplies when they've slipped from my FS unnoticed and been left behind in the wild blue yonder, so your insight is extremely useful. Thanks again for the thorough feedback on the Synik!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Side Kick is great though! I am using the ballistic version (the 525), though the Halycon one would be great too.
    Since you also own a TC (didn't I see that in your review somewhere???), if you have time, could you check to see if a filled TC will fit into one of the SN22 front pockets? Side or bottom, either one, but I'd prefer the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the side pockets' organization. If it fits, that would be a huge bonus for me! Thanks!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you also own a TC (didn't I see that in your review somewhere???), if you have time, could you check to see if a filled TC will fit into one of the SN22 front pockets? Side or bottom, either one, but I'd prefer the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the side pockets' organization. If it fits, that would be a huge bonus for me! Thanks!!!
    Yes, I do! Ran out of time last weekend, but will try to get more extensive photos of how cubes and small bags fit inside the Synik 22. I will try the Travel Cubelet in all the pockets for you.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the write-up!

I'm considering the S22 as my end-all EDC bag. Unlike the S25, the larger side-pockets are actually useful here (for my rolled-up rain jacket and puffy I always carry with me), and the built-in laptop sleeve is a winner.
    It's extremely expensive, and the issues I had with the S25 were not fixed however; which leads me to this question...

How is it behaving, with the frame-sheet, when you set it to the floor?
    Is it relatively easy to make ti stand upright, regardless of how it's packed?
    Does it require specific packing?
    Or even with tailored packing, does it fall over?

Thanks if you've any insight on this ^_^

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast