Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pott View Post
    Thanks for the write-up!

I'm considering the S22 as my end-all EDC bag. Unlike the S25, the larger side-pockets are actually useful here (for my rolled-up rain jacket and puffy I always carry with me), and the built-in laptop sleeve is a winner.
    It's extremely expensive, and the issues I had with the S25 were not fixed however; which leads me to this question...

How is it behaving, with the frame-sheet, when you set it to the floor?
    Is it relatively easy to make ti stand upright, regardless of how it's packed?
    Does it require specific packing?
    Or even with tailored packing, does it fall over?

Thanks if you've any insight on this ^_^
    The Syniks and Synapses don't have flat / 90 degree bottoms, so they don't sit up on their own.

The Syniks have a padded bottom and slightly different geometry due to the increase in front to back depth so they stand up a bit more often depending on how you pack them, but it's not an automatic thing.

Not sure if I understood your comments on the side pockets... the design change to make the side pockets a bit bigger by making the water bottle pocket more triangular inside is something that has updated on all the newer production of the Synapses and is also in the Syniks - does that clarify?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that wasn't a question :) I was at the factory and immediately picked-up on the larger pockets vs. my S25 (from 2016). This makes me happy.
    I don't carry a ton of smaller things; I only have my laptop and charger with me. The rest is clothes (Seattle's weather can be capricious). So with the smaller outside pockets, I just don't really have any use for the older designs.

Now that they're enlarged, I can use both of them AND still use the main compartment. It's game-changing as far as me being able to leverage a Synik's carry capacity.

Thanks for the feedback on the standing-up part. I'll never understand bags that just fall over... such a pet peeve for me unfortunately :( I guess I'll have to wait until I can test-pack one.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the write-up!

I'm considering the S22 as my end-all EDC bag. ....
    How is it behaving, with the frame-sheet, when you set it to the floor?
    Is it relatively easy to make ti stand upright, regardless of how it's packed?
    Does it require specific packing?
    Or even with tailored packing, does it fall over?

Thanks if you've any insight on this ^_^
    @G42 is right, and based on the FAQ from Tom Bihn:

We’d say no, but YMMV; if your Synik has its internal frame, and you pack it right — so that there’s more weight in the main compartment against the back of the bag as opposed to more weight in the front of the bag — it may stand up on its own. The padded bottom of the Synik helps a little bit with this, but not a whole lot.

To make the Synapse or Synik really stand up on its own, we’d have to make the bottom of the bag flat and rigid and quite square-ish; we don’t think it would look or feel like a Synapse/Synik anymore if we did that.

That said, I've noticed that my Synik 22 does tend to stand up on its own most of the time. No guarantees, but given how I pack it, with a stuffed small Snake Charmer in the lower pocket and relatively bottom-heavy contents in the main compartment, it actually seems to be pretty good. If I front-load it too much, that can change, but even with my mug of coffee it still seems to remain standing. I think it might be slightly better than the Synapse 19 I used to have in this regard. But I don't want my personal experience to be interpreted as any kind of promise, since TB didn't design the backpack to do this, and it probably depends on what is inside it.

Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190808_205236-jpg

Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190809_090029-jpg
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect explanation, thank you :)

I imagine I would pack my laptop charger either on the bottom outside pocket, or in the main compartment. which would help.
    Then with the frame and laptop, it will further contribute to pushing the weight down.

Only caveat would be the side pockets content; it's not THAT heavy, but it's bulky and may push the bag forward.

But from what you've said, it indeed seems more likely. The frame I got for the S25 really improved that likelihood, I guess I forgot to re-try my EDC with it! I'll give it a shot.

(I'm also considering the Synik in Aubergine... I go with black or navy for everything because, well, I'm a dude and have virtually no taste, but damn, Aubergine is a LOVELY shade...)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm also considering the Synik in Aubergine... I go with black or navy for everything because, well, I'm a dude and have virtually no taste, but damn, Aubergine is a LOVELY shade...)
    Yeah, the purple is very pretty, and I have the same problem with not being totally comfortable sporting it, but hey, real men wear pink! ;) I did just buy a dawn PCSB, so I'm getting close (though it can kind of pass for grey; it is definitely not like most of the photos you see).

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of it this way, if the Aubergine colour was on a nice button down dress shirt, paired with nice trousers, you'd be considered stylin'
    :)

It's a very deep jewel tone colour
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft! Arbitrary cultural gender norms are for sissies.

(Irony intended. There's a lot of pressure to conform to arbitrary cultural gender norms, and violating them is a risk. But they are, after all, arbitrary, and used as tools of oppression. Changing them makes the world a safer place for everyone. Which means Dudes in Aubergine is Good For Society.)

And now I want an aubergine bag.
    Last edited by Lia; 08-10-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha yeah, I actually have other purple bags :) But I tend to wear extremely casual black clothes (think: t-shirt with extremely inappropriate death metal logo from bands I love), and purple DOES clash.
    But ever since I got my girlfriend an Aubergine Aeronaut 30, and got to steal it when I was 'exiled' from the US this winter, I want one in that color for myself :D

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proof that real men can sport aubergine (from a 2014 thread):
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...rgine-men.html

I would consider aubergine for the A45 I may be getting, if it came with the island interior. Unfortunately, they only have that combo coming up in the A30 for now.

And who knew that Aubergine was the UK word for eggplant?!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other way around for me, I had to learn that eggplant was another word for aubergine... :)

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dream about an Aubergine Synik last night. Seriously. I'd like to take that as a sign that I NEED this bag, but sadly my (clear organizer) wallet disagrees...
    kindness is contagious.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    [...]

And who knew that Aubergine was the UK word for eggplant?!
    it's actually also the French word ;)
    just a Bihnion here

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To continue my review of the Synik 22, which I hope to wrap up today, let me first cover the o-rings.
    I did not notice them all at first, but there are actually quite a few.
    • 4 near the top of the main compartment
    • 1 in the top front pocket (very handy for clipping an ID or train pass
    • 1 in the top of the water bottle pocket
    • 1 near the top of each side pocket
    • 2 in the bottom pocket

(If any other reviewers notice that I missed any, pm me and I'll edit my post. But I did empty out the pack and hopefully caught them all.

Here are some photos (some, but not all):

main compartment, front side:
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190811_132227-jpg

main compartment, back side, near laptop pocket (showing one of two):
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190811_132244-jpg

front flat pocket (my favorite):
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190811_132318-jpg

bottom pocket:
    Start of another Synik 22 review-img_20190811_132334-jpg
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the Synik 22 pack up for a short trip?

First, based on the Tom Bihn FAQ, I packed up a large Aeronaut 30 cube and tried it in this bag. This is a laundry cube, so it has two sides, and it is fairly well-stuffed and heavy. It fits very well. As a note, the frame sheet is installed in my Synik 22.

Start of another Synik 22 review-lg-a30-open-synik-jpg

I added this Small Snake Charmer, which I carry almost every day in the Synik 22's bottom pocket. It has a lot of odds and ends that I use frequently, and it's very nice because it can be easily accessed and doesn't weigh much, so it's a great way to organize lots of small stuff without fear of losing anything in a dimly lit palce. By the way, on a different post, someone asked if a Large Snake Charmer fits inside this bag; in my testing, it did not. (Of course any soft bag would fit if it was packed lightly and squished, but that would defeat the purpose.)

Start of another Synik 22 review-small-fjord-snake-charmer-jpg

Start of another Synik 22 review-small-snake-charmer-synik-pocket-jpg

Once these two organizers -- the large A30 packing cube and Small Snake Charmer -- are in the Synik 22, there is still plenty of space in the side pockets. I could also fit a water bottle in the front water bottle pocket fairly easily, though depending on how tightly the main compartment is packed, your experience might vary.

Start of another Synik 22 review-still-space-side-pockets-jpg

I noticed that the FAQ says that two large A30 cubes would fit. I think this depends on your tolerance for a "bulging bag", which some of us find makes it less comfortable. Certainly if the cubes were packed very lightly they would be ok.

Now, based on my previous experience with smallish bags, like the Pop Tote, Night Flight Travel Duffel, and Luminary 15, all of which are options for weekend trips, I wouldn't typically reach for the A30 packing cube. I tried it out with the Luminary 15 just to see. No dice:

Start of another Synik 22 review-a30-cube-l15-jpg

However, the A30 cube fits in the Pop Tote with room to spare. Obviously, the Pop Tote doesn't have the advanced carrying capabilities of something like the Synik, but it is also very light. I've used the PT a lot recently for traveling.

Start of another Synik 22 review-pop-tote-a30-cube-jpg

The Synik 22 didn't feel overstuffed this way, but if I'm realistic about all the other random crap I would throw in (chargers, toiletries, my tech items), I think I'd end up carrying at least a Side Kick, which normally goes inside the backpack, as a separate item.

Here is the Synik 22 packed up as described above. It is not quite as comfy as when I carry it for my commute, but it's certainly not bulgy or mis-shapen. The front side pockets are still open, and there is some space on top of the A30 cube in the main compartment.

Start of another Synik 22 review-all-packed-up-jpg
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-11-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second "packing" post: What fits in the side pockets?

Here is a Cubelet (canyon), a 3D Organizer Cube (mesh ultraviolet), a Travel Cubelet (grey), and a Side Effect (blue).

Start of another Synik 22 review-all-organizers-jpg

The 3D organizer cube fits in the side pocket with no problem. This is a pretty good use of the space. I'm showing it open and sticking out slightly for illustrative purposes, and closed:

Start of another Synik 22 review-3doc-side-pocket-jpg

Start of another Synik 22 review-3doc-pocket-closed-jpg

The cubelet fits great, and there is plenty of space leftover.

Start of another Synik 22 review-cubelet-pocket-jpg

The Side Effect does not fit into the side pocket. I would add it to the main compartment. My Travel Cubelet did not fit either, at least in ballistic. The TC is just slightly wider than the 3D OC. If you have one in Halcyon and you don't mind smushing it a bit, it might go in that pocket?
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast