Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by improvised View Post
    I guess I will also mention that while the S19 is pretty much perfect for my default daily carry, enough situations arose where I needed extra capacity (groceries, books, sweater or jacket) that I often switch to an S25, even though as a result it's pretty underpacked some of the time.
    Do you travel at all with your S25? I sometimes need more space than my S19/CP combo allows, but I don't think switching to a S22 will make enough difference. Just wondered if a S25 would be better or if I should use my NFTD instead of the CP?

Amiens, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was largely enough nudging for such a low fence to go over!

A Cloud/Island S19 with matching Island zipper pulls, an internal frame and a few other doo-dads (one needs to take advantage of the flat international shipping fee) are now on their way to France.

Reading through many forum posts gave me the irk to upgrade to an SN22 or S25, until I remembered that my objective was to replace my Co-Pilot. I am quite confident almost everything from the CP will fit in the front pockets except my big iPad Pro which will stay in the main compartment (with better protection to boot). And for travels the Brain Bag will remain hard to beat in any case.

Let me now thank all of you for your advice and wish you a merry Synik Day!

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Do you travel at all with your S25? I sometimes need more space than my S19/CP combo allows, but I don't think switching to a S22 will make enough difference. Just wondered if a S25 would be better or if I should use my NFTD instead of the CP?
    The S22 has the same height and width as the S19 but its depth is essentially the same as the S25. If you prefer packing favoring depth over height, then the S22 may be enough for uou.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    My S25 is currently my go-to bag for short trips. My biggest quandary with the Synik was which size to go with, because I'd like to use it for travel as well, but the SN30 seems just a little too big for EDC, particularly when it's underpacked (as it would be most of the time in my case). I finally convinced myself that I can probably travel with the SN22, but it may be that once I have it in hand I'll decide I really need an SN30 for that purpose.

FWIW, I've been experimenting with pretty minimalist packing, so it may be a lot more feasible for me than it would for someone else.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd post an update two months out...

Still loving the Synik 22. I carried it for quite a few weeks. My initial observations, that it's a really great bag, but on the heavy side compared to other bags in the Tom Bihn lineup, are still ringing true. However, I've gotten very fond of having everything in one place, rather than carrying two smaller shoulder or tote bags. And I like the back panel.

I recently switched over to a Luminary 15, which some friends kindly gifted me. The Luminary feels so lightweight in comparison, and I like the look better, but I really miss the multiple outside pockets, particularly the dedicated water bottle area, and the bottom pocket. If I have to access something deep inside it's too much of a production.

So today I switched back to the Synik again. My dream bag would be a hybrid of the two:

• Lightweight, but with one or two additional exterior pockets. Particularly, a lower pocket that lets you access the bottom of the pack. This could even have a side zipper! Maybe instead of one of the two "thin" side pockets.
    • Ballistic back. I really like the smooth feel of the Luminary back, and I think it makes the backpack look more "grownup" to be all one color and fabric.
    • Substantial top-handle, like on the original Luminary or the Synik.
    • Thin. Similar width to the Luminary 15.
    • Lightweight zippers like the current Luminary.
    • Shaped so there's no need for a back panel. OK, I guess I'm describing a Luminary with more pockets. But anyway, those are my thoughts.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S22 is on order and believe it will be a good winter bag but the proof will wait until I receive it. For (next) summer, though, I’m thinking of getting an L15. My summer load has less do-dads needing organization. I have an L12 and love how lightweight it is but the L12 would be just a little too small.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplin, I also find myself alternating between the Synik22 and the L12 based on how much I need to take with me. Seattle abruptly switched to fall recently, so I am back in the Synik camp, as it is so handy having the extra space if I need to take off my jacket while I am out and about during the shoulder season weather - 50s and 60s with a side of rain. And I still have room to pick up random odds and ends. And while I don't have the use the full zip often, I continue to love this feature when I want to stash extra things in the pack without struggling. When I used to try that with my S19, I would sometimes struggle and end up with a mid pack clump, since it was hard to see to arrange.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thought I'd post an update two months out...

Still loving the Synik 22. I carried it for quite a few weeks. My initial observations, that it's a really great bag, but on the heavy side compared to other bags in the Tom Bihn lineup, are still ringing true. However, I've gotten very fond of having everything in one place, rather than carrying two smaller shoulder or tote bags. And I like the back panel.
    Thanks for your update. I like hearing how the S22 is working for you along with your thoughts. I received my S22 with the first preorder and absolutely love it. I agree with you that it feels heavy, but that's only until I put it on. I've got other lightweight non-TB packs that don't carry nearly as well with the same weight. The S22 fits me extremely well. However, I really notice the weight when I shrug it off and tote it by the handle (btw love the new handle design!). Today when I hosted it onto one of those back-of-the-bathroom-door hooks, I was concerned about hanging that much weight on a stall door. :D And I didn't even have it fully loaded!

I'm sure I'll switch between my DLBP and the S22 depending upon the situation, but I'm really enjoying the S22 for now, especially as we move into cooler weather. It's a much more comfortable carry overall. But I agree with you that we all have our own ideas of our own *perfect TB pack*. I carry most of my gear in organizers stashed inside the main S22 compartment, so I really don't know what to do with all of the outside pockets. I don't carry a lot of little things except in a TC that I can pull out for quick store runs, etc, so those pockets seem too small and cramped for most of my individual gear. (And based on your post, I'm thinking of moving up to the SK for quick carry items.)

I think my *perfect* bag would be an S22 without so many exterior zippers/pockets and in a lighter weight fabric. Possibly without the laptop compartment, but I like the padded back. Don't need a luggage passthrough... well, okay maybe like 2x a year so I can deal without it. But given enough time (especially when my old 15" MacBook dies and must be replaced), I may find a use for all of those S22 hidey holes. I wasn't going to preorder the S22 until I read your excellent review as well as all of the others here, but now I'm very happy that I did! I think it's about as close to my perfect pack as I've owned, so again, much thanks!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tonya agreed. The new Synik shoulder straps are so good I can't help but imagine how good the Synapse would be with them.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad you like your Synik, Tonya! I agree with you; it's completely fine when wearing it. Holding it by the handle, it seems heavier.

I tried switching back to carrying two smaller bags today, and it was so annoying for walking. I realized that I'm happier with any backpack, Synik or Luminary, than a bunch of little items.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for such detailed reporting!

I pre-ordered both 22 and 30, knowing that I have to return one of them, since I just couldn't gauge how they'd word for me without trying them. I'm planning on using them for an upcoming 3-week work trip overseas, where I DO get to bring a full suitcase -- but I've had airlines lose my suitcases before! So I need to bring iPad Pro/keyboard, a change of clothes with me, and enough food for 2 days (2 flights and a bus trip before the first hotel).

I have celiac, need to eat gluten-free, and again, I've bad experiences with plane food, so I'll be packing beef jerky, veggie sushi, PBJ on gluten-free bread, cheese and dill butter on gluten-free bread, carrot sticks, clementines, apples, and instant oatmeal.

That does end up taking a fair amount of space. And I like to take 2 empty gallon zipper bags, which I then fill with ice at the airport, to keep things nice and cool.

I'm astounded that it looks like the 22 CAN swallow this much!
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5